SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Optimal date for regional segfest

One of the biggest challenge to achieving the critical mass needed for a segfest is finding the best time. Now individually, we each feel the best time is "when I'm planning to take my vacation" or maybe "next weekend because my plans fell through". And of course, none of us want to push for a given weekend when we know a fellow (perhaps vocal) glider is going to be out of town on a business trip.

But what if we approached this task differently.

I'm going to suggest that each of us individually fill in alot of data on a calendar. None of us will see what any other glider puts down on their calendar (though obviously we can cheat and tell others in an attempt to influence the final outcome). The days on this calendar will be categorized into abstract times like "holiday", "weekend", "rainy season", "winter", "vacation in another region". The idea is that each individual would input information about how far they're willing to travel and how much money they can spend for each category (and if you may be going to another region). Along with information about which region you are in, we could geographically show "collective interest".

An example of rising "collective interest" would be the Long Beach event in July of this year. beachrider/Sharon started the ball rolling by suggesting a group glide...something that happens quite frequently in SoCal. But typically, only a dozen or so riders show up. This July 45 gliders showed up, and the whole thing turned into a mini-segfest (or by another name, a regional Segfest). Clearly there was rising "collective interest"in CA for something like this...9 of those gliders drove over 400 miles to be a part of it.

What I'm hoping for is a tool that'll show when a particular region is getting "hot", and (without consulting individual gliders) we can tell that picking a weekend in a specific month will likely result in a big turnout. For instance, I'd predict that northern regions will see a rise in "collective interest" in a mini-Segfest come April or May of 2008. Spring is wonderful...though based on my time in Illinois, I prefer that one week before all the misquitos hatch!

I'll point out that businesses LOVE data like this, it might even motivate some of them to be a sponsor.

ps - Now for the disclaimers. Yes, I know this idea is overly complicated. No, I have no idea who'd be able to create a web application that mates a calendar with a social web site that focuses on planning. And of course, any system of polling can be manipulated by a small group of people intent on imposing their will on others. But hopefully if you've read this far you've seen a few redeeming concepts in what I've proposed. Feel free to continue the constructive discussion and add your ideas of how we can best (or more easily) determine when and where to have mini-Segfests.

Last edited by polo_pro; 12-12-2007 at 02:20 AM..
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Great idea. Tried to rep you but wouldn't let me.

That being said, your concept of a "hot" date makes lots of sense, especially since it a collective "hot" that may then encourage somebody to seek to be free during that time period.

Implementation could be as easy as folks sending their top 5 distinct choices (dates and locations) to one individual (Polo seems to have offered ) who then compiles the data in a simple spreadsheet. Each vote = 1 point. A patter should quickly emerge which the 'keeper of the score' could post weekly (just the top 5 choices, mind you) in a closed thread (not asking for votes, just posting results).

Good idea...now let's see if we can make it work.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for volunteering, Polo! Tell me where to send my choices. I plan to vote often...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Key when looking for locations for any event

Is also finding out what the hotels have available and at what rates they can offer. Not to mention having people there who can be involved in the event. These events take a lot of time and effort, ask anyone who has worked on a fesT!

Looking at hotel rates, you want to make the event affordable for as many people to attend as possible. But on the other hand the cheap flea bags do not attract people to come for this kind of celebration.

Rates in June will be different than August, and different again in December depending on the location and how bad the hotels want the business.

We found this out when looking at SegwayfesT locations for 2006. The toss up was between Long Beach and San Antonio. San Antonio is a very busy convention town and the prices were high and the dates we were offered did not seem to work for us. Long Beach had rates that worked for our group for a "family" outing offering a good hotel at a price that was not unreasonable.

SegwayfesT has been held at a Hyatt over the Labor Day Weekend 8/31 9/1 9/2 2003, in Florida in 2004, again at a Hyatt, it was held in October 8 to 10. For 2005 it was in a Shearton in Sacremento CA on May 14th, a Raddisson in Manchester NH in July 8 to 10 and a small non-chain boutique hotel in Washington DC in September 23rd & 24th. for 2006 it was 10/13 to 10/15, at a small chain hotel.

For 2008, I vote for early August, as it is a time when things are pretty quiet, though still hot and summer like, a hotel with a pool and a location where people can do things. Also think about families who can attend as school is not yet in session. As many of our gliders do this as a family event, some come and play with the Segway, while their families go off and tour the local sights.

And I know that California has a lot of Segways and gliders, but it has been the center of the Segway Enthusiast Celebrations for a couple of years now. 2005 with Sacremento, 2006 with Long Beach, 2007 with the WOZ Cup, maybe it is time to move to another part of the country.

Last edited by wwhopper; 12-12-2007 at 04:44 PM..
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Lets Play a game

08/08/08 The Stone Date

Family time is very important with any enthusiast event. Getting the families there is equally important. Bringing friends is even better, you better, you bet.
Planning is even more crucial. Hotels run in chains, some do well, some don't. You can tell by the parking lots mid-week. I have found that a four star is much more likely to allow segway inside than the 2-3 stars. (I performed this study with my daughter. she’s a guru.).
Nailing down a date is almost as important as buying the website (NOW). www.segfest2008.org is open. Call it a white board, because the suggestions always come to a vote. Makes ya kind of wonder what Segamerica did all those years, aye?
I remember back in 2004 when I walked into multiple local banks with a biz plan for a 8 machine segway rental biz. Boy they laughed out loud, right in my face, jesting with whisper, 'there is no biz history to base viablity..hu hu., sorry.'. Then there was segfest 2005, 2006, 2007 brought us father apart but closer together.
Segamerica took a face-plant, and when it did, we all did. You know you feel it in your own way, you know, when time stops. All the time in the world to think about what you would of done to change that moment. Its in your face!, what are YOU going to do?
So, with that said, lets play a game.
What you will need.
1. The international boarder of the USA.
2. A local segway friendly area with a radius of 5 miles.
3. The Hotel sections of 4 local phone books.
4. One segway
5. One Email address
6. One Hundred Dollar USD Buy In.

The Rules.
1. There are no rules. Yet.

The Game.
1. Secure the best accommodations in your area for guests <100.
2. Contact your local dealer and secure sponsorship at any degree.
3. Secure pro-local government permits and local law enforcement awareness.
4. Secure group rates for 4 family events in conjunction with event.
5. Secure sponsorship from Segway Inc.

The Goal
1. Segway Festival {yourtown} 2 0 0 8.

The Prize.
1. To be determined.
Crash
Have a nice SegFest.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Ok guys I'm coming in so get ready to light up your flame throwers.

Does a national meet up make any sense at all for a device that is touted as being environmentally friendly?

Think about the energy that will be used transporting the devices to and from the event. Does that make sense?

Wouldn't it make a little more sense to have smaller regional meet ups and connect users around the planet to them via the internet? By doing this, you wouldn't have to attempt to find a national compromise date, but could have many different dates that would take advantage of different areas. This also would allow there to be more information to be disseminated over a wider period of time.

Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Thumbs up First change Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Ok guys I'm coming in so get ready to light up your flame throwers.

Does a national meet up make any sense at all for a device that is touted as being environmentally friendly?

Think about the energy that will be used transporting the devices to and from the event. Does that make sense?

Wouldn't it make a little more sense to have smaller regional meet ups and connect users around the planet to them via the internet? By doing this, you wouldn't have to attempt to find a national compromise date, but could have many different dates that would take advantage of different areas. This also would allow there to be more information to be disseminated over a wider period of time.

Just a thought.
Hear Hear.; do I hear a second, of dead silence.
Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 12-12-2007 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: car pool?
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Regional Events are a great idea

And if hosted by local dealers, they work out well. I have been to one in Ohio, it was a lot of fun!

That allows everyone locally to meet up and have a good time. It worked well in 2005, for SEG America, though all the events attracted an international audience.

The annual European event in Austria sounds like a blast.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default not supporting a national event...too much work leads to pissed of organizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I totally agree. In my first post of this thread, I tried to mention "regional" as much as possible. Though I will admit that much of the post focused on this social/calendar website that measures "collective interest".

I envisioned this social/calendar website merely as a tool. Using all the data input, it'd come up with hot spots across the country. This way folks would know when interest was rising in their area for a particular time of the year. If someone wanted to step forward and act on this info, they'd have some assurances that there efforts would be well spent.

As I said in my original post, the Long Beach get together back in July was my inspiration for this idea. It was regional, it took only 10% of the effort of a full Segfest (since it side-stepped the hotel issues) and I guarantee you that everyone who came had ALOT of fun! If we could have flown out a couple folks from INC at the last minute, we'd have had all the components of a Segfest (minus the schedule of course). From what whopper/Will said, the Ohio get togethers at Jared are similar...and things look good for the future....I know he's getting interested in polo! I'm not so sure that the M&MS events are similar....they seem to have alot more planning involved in the event.

ps - Technically, jvcrd would have brought some of his product to show off at Long Beach. The only vendor at the Long Beach get together was Segway of Long Beach.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
wwhopper
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default All It Take Is.....

Are people who want to organize regional events.

It does take time and energy and some money. But everyone seems to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
not supporting a national event...too much work leads to pissed of organizers
And if it is not fun for the organizers, then it will not be fun for the attendees.

Key points from my experience on running events like these for a couple of groups is to make sure what ever you do is that everyone has a good time, and that there is something for everybody. Be it social, gliding, technical sharing, swap meet, and yes even a sporting componet.

And of course food. Having a meal or two together really brings people together.

Getting a dealer involved, means they can ask their Segway Regional Rep to come to the event, or get them to bring in someone from corporate.

It can happen, all it takes is someone to spearhead it, and get a group of friends together and throw a party with Segways.

Let's look forward to some events next year - all over the country and the world!