SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
hotpink
hotpink

5 yr Member
Default Minimum Age For Tour?

Hi All,

I am getting some flack from the local government at one of our tour locations because of our 10 years old minimum age requirement for our tour there (we do require any minor to be accompanied by their parent or guardian). Any information would be helpful on what the minimum age is for other tour operators and does anyone know if Segway has a minimum age recomendation?

Thanks!

Last edited by hotpink; 08-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: clarification
hotpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpink View Post
Hi All,

I am getting some flack from the local government at one of our tour locations because of our 10 years old minimum age requirement for our tour there (we do require any minor to be accompanied by their parent or guardian). Any information would be helpful on what the minimum age is for other tour operators and does anyone know if Segway has a minimum age recomendation?

Thanks!
I'm surprised that as a tour operator you are not aware of Segway INC's most basic requirements (included in the documentation that comes with all Segway PTs). The minimum age recommended by Segway INC is 16 years old. Please, do not think I am attacking you by saying this, I am genuinely surprised you do not know this.

Our insurance will go down to 12 years old but we stick with 14 (and still require that an adult is present). All tours are different and all approaches differ. What works well for some might not work well for others. And just because someone is 14 years old, doesn't mean they are guaranteed a ride. We have turned people away for safety and attitude problem reasons.

We use x2s which are heavier than the small Segway - and whilst I'm sure some 10 year olds could operate a Segway x2 without too much difficulty, we take our riders up and down hills through the woods etc. which means the extra maturity and usually weight comes in handy.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

As Gareth does, we operate a minimum age rule of 14 along with the minimum weight of 45Kg, 7 stones, 100lb requirement.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Cool Age Old Question

I know of tour operations that allow 6 year olds. Stupidity has no boundries. Most insurance carriers have good age recommendations...
Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
I know of tour operations that allow 6 year olds. Stupidity has no boundries. Most insurance carriers have good age recommendations...
I know of one such place in the UK who say they're an offical operator, and proudly have a video of a 6 year using one of their Segways on their website. Not good.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
RedTourGPS_LisbonPT
RedTourGPS_LisbonPT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway - Red Tour GPS Lisbon

We operate with a minimum age requirement of 14 years old. We recently had this discussion with the rest of the staff, and that's what it was agreed.

Plus, the rider has to be between the 45kg minimum and the 117kg maximum weight.

All minors should be accompannied by an adult who is responsible for their behaviour and safety.

Regarding attitude issues, we have the 2 warning rule. We warn you once, in a polite way, we warn you not to do it again, in a polite way, the third time, you are walking back to our shop.

This is all explained to the customers prior to the tour start and we rarely have problems.

Cheers.
RedTourGPS_LisbonPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Alanmcd
Alanmcd is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think Ohio (where I live) state law is 16 yrs old and I believe the manufacturer states 100 lb minimum weight limit for safety.

-Alan
Alanmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Firefly Hollow
Firefly Hollow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Ohio law age limit

Yes, in Ohio it is 16 yrs. of age. For insurance purposes I make it 18 for tours. I was required to set it at 18 by the insurance company that covered me to avoid issues with guardianship and children. There had been cases in the past with rentals where an adult signed consent as a legal guardian only to have the issue contested when a child was injured.

Besides, I have more of an issue with riders who weigh close to the 100 lb. minimum weight due to the hills on my tour.
Firefly Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
GW Tours
GW Tours is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

14 is also what my insurance carrier requires. Additionally, the minimum weight is 100LBS.
GW Tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Maja
Maja is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How do they come up with these limits? I'm planing to try it for the first time and would like to take my little sister (age 14), so I'm wondering could I be able to do that?
Maja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
minimum age