SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Lightbulb Thank you for saying that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
So if I fly over the curb with great speed, is that the "super advanced" approach?
I was wondering if I was the only person who on approaching a 3 1/2 inch curb at 12.5 MPH just kept on going. No need fer a special advanced approach.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post
I was wondering if I was the only person who on approaching a 3 1/2 inch curb at 12.5 MPH just kept on going. No need fer a special advanced approach.
Yeah, but...

I presume you mean DOWN, not UP!

I like gliding. I don't mind flying.

It's that bump at the end of the flight I don't like.

Where possible, I find a curb cut, even if I have to slow down to do it.

I suppose if I had an inevitable drop on a routine route, I'd probably fly over it too. If you're going to let the wheels disconnect from the curb, you lose any help from the Segway on slowing your descent anyway, so why slow down?

It's going to be just as jarring at 2.5 MPH as it is at 12.5 MPH!

The worst thing, by far, is to go over a curb SLOWLY, with the crown of the road trapping you at the bottom -- sort of trapped between a curb and the edge of the road. The curb cut at the cross walk in front of our elementary school is like that -- not actually a curb, but steep enough on both sides, if you go slow, it will growl at you trying to get it out of the depression. In either direction.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
So, the Advanced approach is to use slow motion? I can't find that setting on my PT...

My slo-mo switch is right next to my hover switch... Don't tell me you forgot to get that option???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
...The worst thing, by far, is to go over a curb SLOWLY, with the crown of the road trapping you at the bottom -- sort of trapped between a curb and the edge of the road. The curb cut at the cross walk in front of our elementary school is like that -- not actually a curb, but steep enough on both sides, if you go slow, it will growl at you trying to get it out of the depression. In either direction.

I do not do a 'regular commute' but I do have a spot or two that I have to deal with this type of a depression...

I find that on my i2, I can navigate this better one wheel at a time, so instead of approaching this depression at a 90 degree angle, I do it between 45 and 60 degrees...

The base does a side to side sashay, kind of like a slolom on skis...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I do not do a 'regular commute' but I do have a spot or two that I have to deal with this type of a depression...

I find that on my i2, I can navigate this better one wheel at a time, so instead of approaching this depression at a 90 degree angle, I do it between 45 and 60 degrees...

The base does a side to side sashay, kind of like a slolom on skis...
Yes, good point, I do that in a number of locations. It's still better done faster than dead slow.

In this location, I often have school children on either side.

I also find it helps to sort of push down with my feet and jump up as I enter the depression. This gives a small burst of speed to the base, and some bounce from the tires, and a reduction of my apparent weight as it comes up the other side.

I don't think that strategy works if you take it at much of an angle.

It doesn't take a LOT of speed; pedestrian walking speed is plenty.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
KSagal

Quote:
Yes, good point, I do that in a number of locations. It's still better done faster than dead slow.

In this location, I often have school children on either side.

I also find it helps to sort of push down with my feet and jump up as I enter the depression. This gives a small burst of speed to the base, and some bounce from the tires, and a reduction of my apparent weight as it comes up the other side.

I don't think that strategy works if you take it at much of an angle.

It doesn't take a LOT of speed; pedestrian walking speed is plenty.
Didn't I read that you stand something like 6 foot 19 inches on that seg, and weight in at like 600 pounds with gear? You would think that the schoolkids scatter when you come barrelling thru their intersection!

I know I would, especially if you were hopping up and down on the platform at the time!

Just kidding... I know you only stand 6 foot 15 or so...

Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #17
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Didn't I read that you stand something like 6 foot 19 inches on that seg, and weight in at like 600 pounds with gear? You would think that the schoolkids scatter when you come barrelling thru their intersection!

I know I would, especially if you were hopping up and down on the platform at the time!

Just kidding... I know you only stand 6 foot 15 or so...
I think it's closer to 6 foot 16, with helmet.

I'm looking to add some nice fake feather or such that will survive tree branches and doorways.

With Seg, gear, and all, we probably come in around 350 pounds.

But the kids run TOWARD me, above a certain age. Toddlers through preschool sometimes have their doubts.

I was standing at a school function on Saturday, talking to someone, when suddenly I get hugged around both legs! Too low for it to be my daughter, I look down, and it was a second grader (my boss's daughter, actually).

I've had zero negative reactions from school officials, the after-school programs, children, nor parents. Nor the local police supervising the bike-to-school event.

Responsible operation is a factor, no doubt. And a lot of people got to see me in store isles, or standing and talking, etc. -- more than just zipping along at 12.5. I slow when encountering pedestrians on the trail or sidewalk, especially so if there are kids or dogs.

I like to think I've done a fair bit to raise people's comfort factor around here.

But I still startle people if I've been following along behind for a while waiting to pass, or if they see me coming on the freeway overpass and think they have to get off.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post
I don't take all of this too seriously guys - it's a bit of fun. But I think it is safer to slow down when leaving a kerb rather than sail straight off the edge. I can't think of a situation where not slowing down would be safer than slowing down. Super advanced approach? Sure - post some videos of it. I love the old SegwayNM video.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Arrow

Quote:
On my i2, I find that if I do it slowly, I bang the bottom back of my battery case.
I had that happen once on my old i167. Never since with many more kerbs under my belt. I think perhaps, from memory, it might have been the corner of a kerb, meaning the place the wheels left the kerb was actually behind the outermost edge of the kerb, making it easier to catch the back. I might have also leaned backwards slightly as a newbie.

Quote:
I suppose if I had an inevitable drop on a routine route, I'd probably fly over it too. If you're going to let the wheels disconnect from the curb, you lose any help from the Segway on slowing your descent anyway, so why slow down?

It's going to be just as jarring at 2.5 MPH as it is at 12.5 MPH!
Who's suggesting the wheels disconnect from the kerb? The point of doing it slowly is that the wheels do not leave the kerb.

Quote:
The worst thing, by far, is to go over a curb SLOWLY, with the crown of the road trapping you at the bottom -- sort of trapped between a curb and the edge of the road. The curb cut at the cross walk in front of our elementary school is like that -- not actually a curb, but steep enough on both sides, if you go slow, it will growl at you trying to get it out of the depression. In either direction.
I think I know exactly the kind of situation you refer to here and I've already added some details about this in v1.5 of my guide. But I've never encountered such a steep slope over the edge of a kerb where what you describe would be a problem. I'm not saying they don't exist - obviously they do as you and others are talking about them. Bottom line, we each glide in a manner that suits us. Hopefully, we take risks that we believe are measured and acceptable. If, in such a situation, you think it is best to glide off at speed, then good luck to you. I wish you success. For me, as such circumstances are not common, I would probably (in the absence of a drop-kerb), use "my" Beginner approach. But, I would quickly find a route that avoided that particular necessity in future.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I had that happen once on my old i167. Never since with many more kerbs under my belt. I think perhaps, from memory, it might have been the corner of a kerb, meaning the place the wheels left the kerb was actually behind the outermost edge of the kerb, making it easier to catch the back. I might have also leaned backwards slightly as a newbie.

Who's suggesting the wheels disconnect from the kerb? The point of doing it slowly is that the wheels do not leave the kerb.

I think I know exactly the kind of situation you refer to here and I've already added some details about this in v1.5 of my guide. But I've never encountered such a steep slope over the edge of a kerb where what you describe would be a problem. I'm not saying they don't exist - obviously they do as you and others are talking about them. Bottom line, we each glide in a manner that suits us. Hopefully, we take risks that we believe are measured and acceptable. If, in such a situation, you think it is best to glide off at speed, then good luck to you. I wish you success. For me, as such circumstances are not common, I would probably (in the absence of a drop-kerb), use "my" Beginner approach. But, I would quickly find a route that avoided that particular necessity in future.
I'm comparing going over just barely fast enough to clear the curb so the battery doesn't get banged, vs full tilt.

I've never done it full tilt, actually -- since I've always only gone off a curb after considering whether it was really necessary. But I don't see as it would increase the difficulty. Just the consequences, if something WERE to go wrong -- which is probably the best argument for more restraint. But except for banging the battery, and the unpleasant jarring, I so far haven't had the slightest issue with going off a curb. No instability on landing. It seems as safe as the landing surface, so going over at speed might actually be safer if the near surface is poor. (Say, an ice patch, or uneven pothole, or broken storm drain grate).

Still, I'd rather find another route than depend on speed to clear obstacles!

Where possible, I do avoid problematic spots. The one by the elementary school, I need to use when accompanying my daughter.