SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 AM   #21
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
...My belief is that the LSF is actually the culprit here and that if the device was not getting the "back and forth" information provided from it the condition wouldn't exist...
Now wait a second. If I were to wait long enough, and through enough variables at it, I can make ANYTHING fail.

That being said, your scenario sounds a bit strange to me. Why would the LSF oscillate if you have full control over it AND the Segway? Sounds to me as if you didn't.

BTW, the only time I've had a problem with the LSF was when I tried to get on a Segway that didn't have the LSF tightened down completely. Now that was an experience I do not want to try again.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #22
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I have a near 100% confidence the unit is operating as designed.

That said, I don't think the designers either imagined or took in account 100% of all curb cuts that exist in the "real world".

The issue that I believe exists is when the sidewalk is high enough, the ramp is steep enough, the road is crowned enough and the unit rolls on the roll axis enough that it sets up a brief yaw oscillation. I am nearly 100% convinced that at the right speeds the device is simply given enough conflicting information and tries to over correct for one thing just slightly after the next that it is enough to throw the rider. My belief is that the LSF is actually the culprit here and that if the device was not getting the "back and forth" information provided from it the condition wouldn't exist.

This exact same curb cut would be trivial for a bicycle to negotiate.

If you'd like to test it out, I've included one that I now know can be a problem and it's a fairly repeatable test too!
Well, I can't open whatever file this is, so cannot see whatever area is being referred to. All I know is I keep my knees bent, keep the LSF aligned with my body, let the base move where the ground takes it, and all is well. Kind of like skiing, sort of. Have you ever been skiing quade?
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Segways are like guns. Not everyone should have one.

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #24
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
All I know is I keep my knees bent, keep the LSF aligned with my body, let the base move where the ground takes it, and all is well.
Pity you weren't able to join us today for the Newport Back Bay ride.

I could have explained myself and the issue far better in person than I ever could over these threads. We even passed by some curb cuts, that I believe, had some potential.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #25
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Even if I hadn't had to work today, the i2 wouldn't have been attending.... wouldn't start this afternoon and showing E014.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #26
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Oh, that sucks.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Even if I hadn't had to work today, the i2 wouldn't have been attending.... wouldn't start this afternoon and showing E014.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #27
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I showed this video to some of the guys in my fraternity, most of whom have ridden my Segway around our basement and done something stupid from the video, they thought it was hysterical.
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote