SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default fools on segways

Looks like our friends from across the pond have been busy! Check out the spill just after the 2 min mark in the video. Have any of you seen an i2 act this erratically?

ps - The poster had 6 other videos, but they were mainly of segways being used at events in Germany. One video shows an adapted bike trailer being towed behind the segway!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post

!
Holy crap! I thought these things were perfectly safe in any and all circumstances! They never go out of control whenever they catch an edge on something and they can't do any substantial damage at all. They'd certainly never be able to do anything like punch a hole in a wall or anything as forceful as that.

Gee . . . I wonder where I ever got the idea that Segways could be dangerous?

BTW, Steve, to answer your question. Yes, I've seen an i2 exhibit that behavior and more by people that over correct errors. The compilation only scratches the surface of modes the device can get into. For instance, they really didn't show the one I like best; the uneven curb cut, which has taken me down twice so far. I'm now FAR more leery and watchful for it. I personally think it's a flaw of the lean-steer design.

Not that I can even vaguely attempt to justify the baby controlling the Segway, but did you see how fast the device spun around when it caught one tire on a small bush? The device wasn't even going all the fast at that point either.

But then again . . . I obviously know nothing about it since they are perfectly safe in all conditions.

Last edited by quade; 11-26-2007 at 03:32 AM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Exclamation Segway's ARE safe

And broken cookies have no calories!

I have always said, for every fool proof device there is a smarter fool.

Jonathan
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I have always said, for every fool proof device there is a smarter fool.
The thing is . . . not everything shown in the video is of a "fool" operating the device. Some inexperienced riders perhaps, but a lot of what is in the video is the device operating exactly as designed, just with an inexperienced rider at the controls.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
Looks like our friends from across the pond have been busy! Check out the spill just after the 2 min mark in the video. Have any of you seen an i2 act this erratically?

ps - The poster had 6 other videos, but they were mainly of segways being used at events in Germany. One video shows an adapted bike trailer being towed behind the segway!
I've seen an i2 do it, and I've also seen an XT do it. What I think is happening is that only one wheel is touching the ground while the platform angle is far from level. The segway accelerates hard with only one wheel on the ground, causing it to twist pretty quickly. That compilation video was great, but it didn't show that XT crash. I'll dig it up.

EDIT: here it is
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Looking at some of the other "incidents" I think many of us can recall similar incidents. How many times have we looked back (usually after picking ourselves up off the floor!) and said "I really must remember, next time, just LET GO" In my experiance, trying to recover the situation often compounds it.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #7
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
For instance, they really didn't show the one I like best; the uneven curb cut, which has taken me down twice so far. I'm now FAR more leery and watchful for it. I personally think it's a flaw of the lean-steer design.
I've glided through every curb cut imaginable on my i2 with no problems, and can't figure out what you're referring to. The leansteer makes curb cuts (or any other surface irregularity) much more manageable than the gen1 design.

I also gotta say that I was inexperienced a couple years ago too, but never even came close to some of the falls & situations shown in the video. Other than paying attention to the safety video and operator instructions, what have I been doing wrong?
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I've glided through every curb cut imaginable on my i2 with no problems, and can't figure out what you're referring to.
Hehe . . . I gotta take you on a tour of Santa Ana and Tustin.

Quote:
The leansteer makes curb cuts (or any other surface irregularity) much more manageable than the gen1 design.
I have little (only a couple of minutes) experience on a Gen 1 machine, so I can't speak to it being more manageable. However, I do believe that the concept of the LeanSteer has a flaw when it comes to traversing certain curb cuts. Some curb cuts can be particularly deceptive in how they're angled and how people might be used to traversing them on other two-wheeled vehicles. Yes, if you slow down to a near crawl, just about any can be traversed. That's not the issue. The issue is attempting to traverse them at higher speeds and how that might set up an instability due to the LeanSteer design.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #9
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I have little (only a couple of minutes) experience on a Gen 1 machine, so I can't speak to it being more manageable. However, I do believe that the concept of the LeanSteer has a flaw when it comes to traversing certain curb cuts. Some curb cuts can be particularly deceptive in how they're angled and how people might be used to traversing them on other two-wheeled vehicles. Yes, if you slow down to a near crawl, just about any can be traversed. That's not the issue. The issue is attempting to traverse them at higher speeds and how that might set up an instability due to the LeanSteer design.
I wonder if something could be wrong with your base. That is, err, your Segway's base. Like Pete, I am impressed at how well mine handles curb cuts at 8-10 mph. As long as I maintain the same angle on the LSF with respect to gravity as I had before the cut, it immediately senses that the angle of the LSF to the platform is only because of the equal angle of the platform with respect to level, and provides no added steering input. Like magic.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Can you be more specific about the "flaw" in the LeanSteer design? It seems to do exactly what it is supposed to do, when operated properly. You ARE operating it properly right?

Quote:
Hehe . . . I gotta take you on a tour of Santa Ana and Tustin.

hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote