SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
So, basically, what you are saying is that you're like a mobile xmas-tree when you're out gliding in the (previously) dark? Got it!

Would it be possible to hook the lights into the Seg's battery?

I don't need much in the way of lights myself, I live in an area with lots of bike/pedestrian paths, most of which have street lights, so I only need the minimum lights to keep legal and visible, but if you're going to be a shining beacon in the dark, I figure the Seg's battery would be an excellent power source? Shouldn't diminish your range by much either, well, unless you go really crazy.
Over the years, I have used many different configurations and many different powersources.

As I see it, there are two basic types of lights. (In this application)

1. Lights for me to see with.

2. Lights for me to be seen with.

In the case of 1 above, I need a beam or headlight, that is strong and bright enough to project a beam to allow me to see far enough in front of me with confidence to be able to glide safely.

This is a powerful light, and while LED, it still consumes power. I have used some 7.2 v power packs that came with the light, and after a few years, had to replace the rechargeable battery. I use this small battery, about the size of 4 c cells taped together, to power the head and tail lights described previously.

For case 2 above, I have used all kinds of things. I really like some of the neon string lights that I have had in the past several years. These use a small transformer, and take the 12 volt DC up to a very high voltage. Unfortunately, they also consume some hefty power, relative to regular LEDs, but far less than some of the incandescent options I have used on and off.

Lately, however, I have forsaken all but simple LEDs. They consume far less power than any other option that I have seen, and put out a fair amount of light. Most of my lights now include a string of LEDs of various strengths for their obligations.

I currently use (in addition to the power pack listed above) a small 1.2 amp hour 12 volt battery. I actually have 4, and always have one on line and at least one spare with me. I like this battery not only because it is a convenient size (about the size of a pack of playing cards) and that makes it easy to stow under my cargo plate, but also because it has a built in radio powered switch.

So, I turn on my segway with a wireless device, and I also turn on my lights with a wireless device.

Believe it or not, just as a person may use their remote to flash the lights or toot the horn in their car to find it in a parking lot, I have used this to quickly find my segway while amongst many others at segwayfests and other events.

And finally onto to a question in the post I am responding to, no, I do not use the segway batteries for several reasons.

1. I do not really want to interrupt a closed system that has many monitors, and draw power in a way that may make the machine suspect some fault. I just do not want to go there.

2. The voltage from those batteries is not an easy tap, in that 36v or 72v seems to be what is available, and to transform that down is not worth the effort. Furthermore, if I use only a portion of the battery output, I can tap off at a lower voltage, like maybe even a usable 12v, but then I would not be consuming the cells of the battery evenly, and that is not good for it. The only way around that is to rotate the partial consumption. That to me seems even more complicated than transforming down the voltage.

3. Physically, the power is transmitted from battery to segway thru a complicated connector that is sealed to the weather. Tapping in means a potential break in this seal, either thru the connector and seal at the point where the battery and bottom of the base are, or by removing the top of the base and coming out thru that. Either option did not appeal to me.

So, I am happy to supply my own power sources till segway decides to incorporate an onboard tap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 12-14-2010 at 02:20 PM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have a 3 watt and 5 watt option on the front light, and generally use 5. I have several options for the red rear light as well, and generally use the 5 watt blinking. Many have said it is down right annoying to follow me at night, as the light is so bright and flashes in a way that is hard to miss. I love this light for this very reason..

Karl,

While I think this degree of lighting is going a bit overboard to make oneself noticed, if you stay at and restrict yourself to the end of the glide line I think the excessiveness of it would be acceptable. But if, as you state, others are behind you I would consider this type of behavior to be inconsiderate of others desires and additionally being at the end of the line would help ensure the safety and security of those who have chosen to ride/drive/glide in your company.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #23
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
Karl,

While I think this degree of lighting is going a bit overboard to make oneself noticed, if you stay at and restrict yourself to the end of the glide line I think the excessiveness of it would be acceptable. But if, as you state, others are behind you I would consider this type of behavior to be inconsiderate of others desires and additionally being at the end of the line would help ensure the safety and security of those who have chosen to ride/drive/glide in your company.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy
I have different settings that I can use, to allow for social interactions when in the middle of a segway group.

I do feel that it is among the best tail lights I have seen in the bike/segway market, and for this very reason, I frequently choose to be at the rear of the line so that it can serve to protect the entire column.

While I shared that people have mentioned that it is annoying to have the rear light blinking in your eyes for any length of time, it is not done to be antisocial, it is done for safety. All that mentioned it have recognize it as such, and therefore there were no complaints.

Still, I do mostly glide alone, and when I do it works for me.

I appreciate the advice regarding lighting and positioning, but you must remember that what one may feel too much lighting another may not, and it is a personal choice. If you do not know where I glide, and how drivers react, it is difficult to tell what is overboard and what is not.

The same could be said regarding the security of accessory designs. If it is not your design, and you are not the person concerned about its integrity, than others should not say you are being too concerned about someone stealing you design. I said others should not, but they did.

So, thanks for the advice, it was good. Have a good glide and keep smiling.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
bjorn
bjorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I currently use (in addition to the power pack listed above) a small 1.2 amp hour 12 volt battery. I actually have 4, and always have one on line and at least one spare with me. I like this battery not only because it is a convenient size (about the size of a pack of playing cards) and that makes it easy to stow under my cargo plate, but also because it has a built in radio powered switch.
That sounds handy. I wonder if it, or something like it, might be available in Europe. I already have two remotes on my Seg, the info key plus one that opens the gate and elevator doors to the complex my condo is in.
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #25
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
That sounds handy. I wonder if it, or something like it, might be available in Europe. I already have two remotes on my Seg, the info key plus one that opens the gate and elevator doors to the complex my condo is in.
I bought it on Ebay I think, several years ago, and I believe they came from China. They came in with small chargers, and the small remotes. (They are all on the same frequency, which makes it easier)

I am sure that if you find the same product, it will ship to Europe as easily as the US.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #26
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Interesting, that's an aspect of a low mounted light that I had not considered. This motivates me to finally install a light in place of the emblem on the leansteer pivot. I always thought it seemed like a natural place for one.
I finally did all the measurements and concluded that a Sylvania Dot-it would fit in the leansteer pivot hub in place of the emblem cap. So, I bought one to try. They come already assembled with a magnet inside to facilitate mounting on metal surfaces.

Not only does it fit well and the magnet secures it quite firmly, the emblem cap can still be slipped back in place over it when the light is not in use. The top & bottom tang on the cap have nubs which slip into holes in the hub to firmly secure the cap in place, but this also prevents easy removal of the cap without removing the leansteer. So, I just turned the cap 1 tang clockwise so the nubs don't hit the holes, and yet the cap is still quite firmly in place and can be removed easily enough when the light is desired.

I bought a "classic" Dot-it in silver with 3 LEDs:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...-itClassic.htm

It doesn't really cast enough light to be a primary headlight, but it does make a nice accessory / marker / running / (fog?) light to compliment a main headlight up on top. There is also an "swivel" Dot-it which might work a bit better with a little adjustment:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...T-itSwivel.htm

I'm also thinking that a more reflective surface inside the leansteer hub might help cast more light forward.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote