SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Istanbul, Turkey, the Grand Bazaar

A year ago I discovered and started using a Segway as a mobility device. To travel I bought a used Gen 1 with Nimh batteries. I usually walk with forearm crutches or a cane.

Today my wife and I did the Grand Bazaar and the markets of Istanbul, I used the Segway. A year ago I would have looked at the streets, the inclines and the amount of people and would have not have attempted it. If you use forearm crutches, or have weak legs, you know that two of your biggest enemies are uneven ancien cobblestone streets and steep inclines. The third worst enemy are crowds, well with the Segway the day was superb.

As I was entering the market area I was warned by a rug seller that there was no way I could go though there and to turn back I thanked him for his advice but went on. I am ecstatic to say that four hours later I made it back up that crowded area and in just by chance came upon his store (like finding a needle in a haystack, there are over 4000 stores in the market area. He could hardly believe that I made it to the bottom and back.

Today being Saturday the crowds were huge, bustling and the market is built upon a hillside, the moving was slow but was incredibly enjoyable.

It was just an incredible day and I just really want to thank Dean Kamen for his superb invention that allowed me to do something I thought a year ago I could never do.

Regarding access and use, I did not have a problem on any of the three flights to come over, here at the Hotel or anywhere in the city.

Last edited by bruneje; 04-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: added
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You might be interested in this article, which I read earlier today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/wo....html?src=recg

Sad -- I hope they can fix it up before anything bad happens.

When I read the article, I naturally pictured myself experiencing it on a Segway.

Anyway, your experience mirrors my own -- Segways are safe to use in environments I would not dare to enter in a wheelchair or using a quad cane.

In fact, my ankle is bothering me today in a way that makes me wonder if I twisted it on uneven ground at the horse farm or elsewhere and didn't notice at the time. Undetected injuries are my bane, and I feel a lot safer on a Segway than off.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote