SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Sarafino
Sarafino is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Can a Segway do this?

I am wondering if a Segway could be used in place of a scooter for horse training? I am really wanting to know what you all think, I am trying to decide on whether I should get a bigger/zippier mobility scooter, or go for the Segway:

Sarafino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I don't know anything about Horses, but I would point you to a thread that I posted about a trip to Canton, Texas. I rode in about every kind condition with people and surfaces.

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=25826

I have never rode a x2, they have the bigger wheels and are better on rough ground, one of them might work better on the lose ground that you show. I have a i2 it has smaller tires, but is easer to use in crowds.

You should find someplace to ride before you buy.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
I am wondering if a Segway could be used in place of a scooter for horse training? I am really wanting to know what you all think, I am trying to decide on whether I should get a bigger/zippier mobility scooter, or go for the Segway
Yep an X2 would be great. The only problem I have is with deep slippery mud. It can loose traction and cause a spill.

I have a seat on mine, works great.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I would be able to negotiate that surface on my i2, though I'm would certainly prefer an x2 for the job.

So long as it's not deep mud, as Jeff points out. The danger point comes when you sink in enough that the available traction is not enough to let you climb up over the mud ahead of you. Or at least, that's my analysis of the situation based more on snow than on mud; I've never gotten deep enough in the mud to have it actually lose it.

I've gotten quite deep in sand -- to the point where the platform was pushing sand ahead of it. No loss of stability, but I did have to step off, lift it up out of its hole, to continue.

A bigger concern for me would be the horses. Horses are prey. They have the instincts of prey. They don't like things they don't understand -- they're afraid they might get eaten. If you move funny, you might be a snake.

I've encountered horses on trails, and some horses are quite visibly uneasy, even with me stationary, and even after I dismount. As a result, while my Segway is often often present around horses at a local horse farm (10 times in the last week, sigh), it stays on my Segvator, and I hobble around with my cane, if at all.

Too bad, since that's precisely the sort of environment which is most difficult and painful and dangerous for me to negotiate! But I'm not going to risk some kid getting thrown -- perhaps my own. This is about the only environment I've encountered where I'd say the safety aspects legitimately enter into the ADA equation.

They also have a sign forbidding bicycles, scooters, and even baby carriages.

My attitude on trails is a bit different. If you take a horse on a public trail, you should be able to control them in that environment. I just do what I can to make that as easy as I can, and provide a bigger margin of safety. I would do the same were I on a bicycle!

At the county fair, I figure I'm just part of the general confusion -- in that context, I've never seen a horse take any note of me -- although I do make an effort to blend in.

I suspect that it wouldn't be that hard to acclimate a horse to a Segway, but I think you'd have to approach it deliberately, and I don't know horses well enough to suggest a strategy.

I would, however, be very interested in hearing of anyone with more experience in the matter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Bob, clearly the horses are uneasy because they see the Segway as a threat. Not a mortal threat, but a threat to their jobs!

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote