SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Canton, Texas Trade days-Segways Banned

I am planning to go to Canton on April 1, 2011 and spend the night. This is held each month on the first Monday, but lasts all weekend before the first Monday. For those who do not know, Canton, Texas is a very large area where venders setup booths to sell about everything. Some are located in large metal buildings and some are in the open. I am guessing that the venter area probably covers the area of a square mile.

While calling several of the RV campgrounds I got this information from the City of Canton, Texas. The city also has RV parking. I was told by the lady that answered the phone the following when I ask if Canton was "Segway Friendly". Segways are banned on all city controlled properties. She told me that Segways are not allowed on any city controlled property. Evidently the city owns/controls much of the area in which venders setup booths.

She stated that they had had trouble with Segways, nothing specific, But that on trade days the town is full of people, kids, pets and cars so Segways are banned along with skateboards and I think she said bicycles. I called her a second time to confirm what she had said, I want to point out that she was very nice as was I, and try to understand what areas the city controls. At this time I do not know what the city controls.

I told her that I could not walk the distances that would be necessary to cover even a part of the venders. She told me that there are a number of places around town that electric scooters can be rented for about $7.00 per hour. The scooters are like the ones at WalMart.

Personally I would not pay the $7.00 to see the all of the venders booths. I am not a "Dust & Rust" person. Some of my family who will be visiting with us form Kansas City and my wife are Dust & Rust enthusiast. My interest in going was to ride the Segway.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You may want to try one more call to the nice lady, and explain that you use your segway as a mobility device, and would like access as if it were your wheelchair. If she says no, ask her if she would deny you access via wheelchair.

The ADA does offer protections, and you may offer that she would need to comply with the ADA protections, and that she must tell you the specific reasons your segway is denied, despite it being your mobility device.

If she still is unwavering, or unable to make a rule change, you may ask to see the rule that prohibits segways. Often times there is no actual rule.

Lastly, ask to speak to the enforcement authority, the city manager, the police chief, or whomever has the authority to let you glide, or change the rule.

Of course, this advice is just that. You should do what you want to do, and not what others want you to do. Personally, I am not a fan of spending my money where I am not wanted, but here it may be the town that is causing your friction, and not the vender community that you want to visit.

I was not familiar with the term ‘Dust and Rust’ but I have been to a swap meet or two in my time. I still have a treasure I got from outside of Waxahachie many decades ago. When and if I come down, and we get a chance, ask me about it and I will share a great, fun story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Segways banned in general? I assume you mentioned the Segway used as a mobility aide with a handi-placard. Maybe talked to the wrong person-nel-ity. Why not use the just go and use it philosophy and see if they refuse you entry. As you know, scooters in a crowd are much more difficult to manuever.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

I did tell her that there were some new ADA laws going into effect March 15th, but that did not change her mind or discourage her on her stand. I think that we all understand that she is only the "up-front" person who is just doing what she has been told. I still plan to take the Segways when we go and will probably be told that I can not use them by some low level security person who may or may not be able to read.

Here will be the problem, my wife and I both have handi-cap placards and I have copies of them in the Segway bags. I also have stickers that I made that show the Segway is being used by a handi-caped person. However, my wife will cut and run on me. She never challenges authority. Also I am having trouble getting her to use the Segways. When we were in New Orleans my brother-in-law were the ones gliding while our wives walked. Probably it will be him and I gliding at Canton. he is not handi-capped. But I want to push the envelope a bit.

And as I said I wouldn't even go to Canton if it was not for chance to ride the Segways.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The lower level security guard may be the only level of personnel that has any level common sense and would let you use it as a "wheelchair" device. There is a symbol on your card. Pressing the envelope may create future problems for people who actually need to use them as mobility devices. Let your brother-in-law walk beside you. I would rather walk than Seg given the choice.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

I would not have the sticker on the one he is riding. If I was to challenge their decision I would be sure that I was completely legal. I am sure there is a stiff fine for "impersonating a handi-caped person" and they would love to catch me trying something like that.

You are right about the security person being the one with the common sense, but someone without is telling him what to do.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I have always found that polite persistence works. I try to never get angry, or be pushed around either. I do ask for the actual law or rule being enforced, and always take names. If I am pretty sure that the low level enforcer is wrong, I ask for a supervisor.

I again say that a fight with a cop is never a winning proposition, even if he is just a rent a cop. But that also does not mean that you cannot question his statement, or ask for clarification.

Many times I have been allowed to go on, sometimes they even tell me they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, and their magnificent generosity, simply because they know they cannot withstand the requirement of proof, but also do not want to loose face.

Even when they make statements like that they are 'letting' me do what the law requires them to let me do, I thank them for the consideration. At that point, I got what I want, so there is no value in trying to make them feel bad or that they got beat.

Good luck. Have fun. Pay heed to RickB's caution. He is right that if you win, but cause a problem, the security guard may easily take it out on the next one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I will just add my personal view into the mix.. I need to use the Seg as a mobility device and I just added the handicap placard on it. I have never ever been stopped to date yet... anywhere, knock on wood.

I would go for it and see if you can pull it ooff. I always act like I know I am allowed and am very positive. I am nice and smile and try to take the proactive and preventative approach.. I say how great the seg is and that I could not get around otherwise and now how wonderful it is now to be able to take advantage of this great exposition yadda yadda. I think its a form of social engineering; shape the situation to your advantage.

It can be a challenge to use it in crowded situations though as I am sure we all know. So I tend to take the less congested paths and watch out for oblivious people as best I can.

I think its a shame too, as the Seg is just the perfect way to get around in that situation I believe. Go for it, good luck. At least you tried. Its a pretty cold person that can turn away some nice person who is just trying to get by too.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

I do plan to go to the trade days as if I did not know Segways were banned. If and when I am stopped I will claim the need of a mobility device and be prepared to show my placard. I also will ask to see the law in print, however, that may get me in trouble with the security person. Are they required to show you the law? They might insist on showing me the printed law at the jail. I think that it would be a very slim chance that the security person would have a copy.

As I stated before, probably my brother-in-law will be riding the other Segway and he is not handi-capped. What I might do is test the water by myself as soon as we get there using my handi-cap sticker. I wish I had someone else that is handi-caped to ride with me. I know my wife has one, but she is not going to buck authority. I know, I will force her to go with me, no, that won't work. This will be interesting.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
KSagal

I also doubt that the security people will have a copy of any law or rule that prohibits segways with them, and did not mean to ask for a written copy on the spot.

Instead, you may ask what particular law he is enforcing, since the ADA protects your use. At that point, they usually say something less specific, about them being banned. You need not get an actual copy of the specific law on the spot, but just asking what it is may make him think about it.

Furthermore, you can ask for a supervisor, again stating that as a mobility impaired individual, ask if they would treat other people in other mobility devices the same way.

You should know your stuff. If you do, and they do not, and all people are reasonable and pleasant, they very well may allow you on your way.

I must stress again, if it comes to a fight or argument, it rarely goes well.

Good luck, and be sure to post in and let us know how it goes.