SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I would rather recognize people for their abilities or ability level. Does a down hill racer on one ski, with one leg posses a disability or even show signs of a disability for that matter as they strap on a flex foot for a marathon run. I agree with you on a lot of good members with alot of positive experience and information to share in this thread.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow. Quite a thread. I live in a small village and know just about everyone in town. Although I have a handicapped placard I'd be embarrassed to use it. The beauty of the Segway is it lets me park as far from an entrance as possible then zip past ABs burning gas while driving in circles looking for a parking spot up close. Folks, its a ceremonial triumph. The best part is they don't even know I'm laughing at them....Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:12 AM   #23
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I used to mostly avoid using the handicap spaces once I got my Segway.

But I use them now, for a few reasons:

1) If I park in a normal space, some moron in an SUV will come along and park and not leave me access to get in and out. (Is there a rule that if you know how to park, you can't drive an SUV? Of course, it's not just SUVs -- but their extra size magnifies the problem.)

To me, the extra width of the space is the key feature, not the location. It can be very difficult and painful -- or even impossible -- getting in and out of my car if its crowded, and it is greatly helpful to me to be able to access my side doors while on my Segway. But even if I can do that -- getting in and out easily requires even more space.

(I have very long legs, a damaged hip, and legs that don't do what I tell them to do, and don't tell me what they are doing, either).

I have actually turned around and gone home, due to lack of suitable parking, even though there were spaces in which my car would fit.

2) My Segvator sticks out behind my vehicle, and I've found this to be a problem in some normal spaces, especially near the end with people coming around the corner, or in some pedestrian traffic areas.

3) I am often carrying stuff back to my car -- that can be difficult at times.

Still, if I spot a space that avoids the first two problems, I take it. That doesn't happen as often as, all handicap spaces being full, picking some spot with a bit of room, and coming back to find I can't get in my car.

I did encounter a person a while back, who berated me for using the Handicap spot, on the grounds that most people with placards obviously didn't need them. But he did -- he had MS.

Um, it's not obvious you have MS, why would anyone else's problems be obvious? I cut him some slack, though, as I know MS produces emotional and mental symptoms. But it's not the first time I experienced the "hierarchy of disability", and I think it's the natural consequence if the scarcity of handicap parking.

Still, my preferred solution to all this is -- leave the car at home. That frees up a space for everyone, and I don't have to deal with it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote