SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Jury Duty

How many people have used a Segway in conjunction with Jury Duty?

I've just been called in for the second time since I started using a Segway 3 years ago. The first time went smoothly enough -- but I was never called downstairs to the secured courtroom area, as the case to which I was assigned was settled before trial.

But on my way out that time, I was accosted by a Deputy who said he thought they were banned from the building. I educated him a bit, and it ended amicably enough -- but I'd also had another occasion to actually enter the secured area, and that was a royal pain, with no assurance I would actually succeed another time.

So I was proactive about it this time. I filed out the CA ADA court accommodation request form (to make it all official), wrote a little letter, and a two-page "brief" on precedent (GSA (including the federal courts), the new Title II stuff, Segs4Vets, the local kids with disability using them in our local schools, DOT... and since they explicitly listed "scooter" on the list of prohibited items that would be ceased and not returned ... I also referenced the CA Vehicle code, defining the terms scooter and EPAMD.

I made a point of including in full the example of a county court and jury duty and an EPAMD from the new Title II Appendix A! It even suggests that the trial would be moved to a larger courtroom if necessary! (Nice one, DOJ -- thanks!)

And then I took it to the juror services people today at noon, when I knew it would be quiet.

It turns out that the writing was mostly a waste of time. They were very nice, and curious. They called down to the Bailiff, had to explain that I was not requesting a Segway -- that I' had my own! (???) Apparently, they must have seen the GSA bulletin, as they made a point of informing me of the need to walk it through the metal detectors, in just about the same terminology used there.

They did thank me for working it out in advance, as it would have been difficult all around to handle at 9:00 on Monday morning! That was my thinking, too.

I was prepared for them to be a bit paranoid, as there is a certain security history at this courthouse -- back in 1970, a judge was kidnapped in an escape attempt, and killed. I don't begrudge them their security.

I'm kind of curious as to what difficulties I'll face. The whole building is a national landmark -- a monument to Frank Lloyd Wright's emphasis on form over function, with circular courtrooms, nice long corridors with a narrow atrium down the middle, which gives you a most impressive view from a Segway.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has Segway/Jury Duty history.

In fact, it occurs to me just now that it is remotely possible that I inspired that example, having reported to jury duty with my Segway once before. I wouldn't put it past our local folks to have given the matter some thought in the meantime, and come up with this policy. This is the sort of place which would do that without being forced.

But I think it's likely others have also traveled this path?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Although it wasn't for jury duty, I recently took my Seg into the courthouse to re-up my gun permit. I rolled up to the metal detectors, hopped off, emptied my pockets of keys, etc and went thru the detector. They walked my seg thru the ADA door and I got back on and had the run of the building. It was no issue, it wasn't prime time (like 8AM) and they didn't seem to be working in a great hurry, so it was easy to get around. A few people just asked about it. Don't know how it would go with jury duty though, alot more people involved in that.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
mgalliani

I took mine about 6 months ago to jury duty. I had no problems
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I ended up having very little problem as well. One person did appear to complain to security, but she didn't get anywhere. (She had absolutely no reason to complain, never having been within 20 feet of me).

There were minor logistical challenges, but less so than would have been faced with a wheelchair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Some time ago there was an interesting article on the DRAFT web site about a Federal Judge who used one to get around his courthouse. I believe he had COPD. That story, complete with pictures, would seem to be very persuasive. The Judge has, unfortunately, passed away
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

I took mine to jury duty and had no problems.
Just told them when I arrived that I hate everyone and can't wait to hang someone........

They sent me home ! Doesn't seem right...."..

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I took mine to jury duty and had no problems.
Just told them when I arrived that I hate everyone and can't wait to hang someone........

They sent me home ! Doesn't seem right...."..

Be Big,
AMAC
That didn't work -- everyone else was saying the whole court was full of corruption or pretending to be deaf or crazy. Took them all day and another batch of jurors just to find enough of us hangin' types to make up a jury.