SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation Segway Use in Crowded Areas - Photos Needed

DRAFT is looking for photos of Segway use in crowded areas or crowds in general.

This library of photos will surely be useful in the future with the on-going lawsuit in Florida. The intention is to use these photos to support our position as to the safety of Segways in crowds.

Any amusement park type venues are of particular interest, although any large events are welcome too. Sporting events, concerts, rallys, etc...(well you get the idea). The more the better in this case. Photos that have a broader crowd view (with you and your Segway in it, of course) are preferred.

Please email to Darth at SegVator dot com. A brief description of venue/event, place (city, state) and date is greatly appreciated. Crowd size estimates would be great too. If you wish to share the nature of your disability, please feel free to do so.

I will then catalog these in a photo library for use as indicated above.

Thank you for your help and support!

(Note to moderators - any chance of making this a "sticky" in this section?)
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

A "SegCamcorder" while segging thru an event would provide for the ultimate video opportunity to see how the user actually manuevers through crowds.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I took about a dozen photos at the Canton, Texas, Trade Days. This is an event that is held on the weekend of the first Monday each month. This is a big event for Canton, people come from all over the country. I was told that there would be 100,000 people in attendance, I have no doubt that there were that many people there.

The pictures, because they had told me I could not ride my Segway on city property, in the city or on the city park where part of the venders are set up. Here is the Canton website:

http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

They claimed Segways were too dangerous with all of the people. I bucked city hall and they let me ride. I went all over the trade area for three days and had no problems. the thread that I posted here is at:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=25826

As I said i have a dozen pictures taken with my iPhone that you are welcome to have and use anyway you wish. Let me know how to get them to you if you want them.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

What time-frame do you need them? In July, I can get my daughter to take pictures of me at the Marin County Fair -- including at the amusement arcade section. I have pictures that I've taken from my Segway there, but I don't think I have any taken of me showing the crowds.

What about pictures involving Activities of Daily Living done in close proximity to people, like shopping (with basket or pushing a shopping cart), riding in elevators, waiting in line, etc.?

Unfortunately, I no longer ride the ferry regularly; that would be perfect, as when I do that, I am consistently surrounded by dense crowds, to the point the challenge would be to get a photo that actually shows the reason I tower so high above the crowed is that I'm on a Segway. Another feature there would be to show me going up or down the ramp in SF at high tide -- which far exceeds the ADA limits on steepness (and would be highly dangerous to attempt to negotiate unaided with a manual wheelchair).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bob,

This library will be built over time. So whenever you have something to share that you feel would be helpful, please do so.

Not having an urgent need (at the moment) provides the Segway community notice to try to get photos as they attend current and future events.

Having a qualifying disability is not a requirement for the photos. The idea is to show the peaceful and safe co-existence of the Segway in crowds of all kinds.

Other unique situations, such as the steep dock ramp you refer to, would be useful too. That would help overcome objections related to terrain (too steep for a Segway). You can tell someone that the Segway can handle up to a 20 degree slope (36% grade), but to most people this is probably meaningless.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote