SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segways to aid in determining sidewalk compliance

This is an old article but interesting and might be of value to someone fighting for ADA compliance..

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...segway13e.html

The city of Branson Missouri redid their sidewalk access last year and did an absolutely lousy job--odd angles and slopes, unsafe even for pedestrians. Frankly, just driving by I was too scared to even try them out. I was down there last week and they have redone most of those with slip resistant surfaces and improved slopes. Somebody must have complained. (sadly, not me...)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I had never known just how bad the sidewalks in my town were till I started using my segway. It has brought me to many a town meeting or debate with information from street level that I never knew before.

Perhaps what I need are 6 inch curb feelers off each side, making the machine about 36 inches, which I believe is what is required as a minimum width around all obstructions. It still amazes me how many poles and items are in the middle of the sidewalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I had never known just how bad the sidewalks in my town were till I started using my segway. It has brought me to many a town meeting or debate with information from street level that I never knew before.

Perhaps what I need are 6 inch curb feelers off each side, making the machine about 36 inches, which I believe is what is required as a minimum width around all obstructions. It still amazes me how many poles and items are in the middle of the sidewalk.
I caught one example of this out of the corner of my eye in Branson. and Rolacoy's experience in Canton TX with the push button for crossing a street is another example of this kind of careless planning. I don't think it is deliberate. It just means that they have never checked on themselves from wheelchair level--let alone on a Seg.. I experienced that in Springfield's green trails where the button was so far from the sidewalk that I had to dismount to push it.

Lots and lots of education to be done!
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote