SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
CaptainZen
CaptainZen is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Dreaming of Civilization

Cool reactions here! To stay on topic, I always seem to stir up a little storm in forums when introducing myself, I think too far out of the box maybe.
That the wonderful Segway is invented in the same country that abuses its awesome military power is fine with me. I am very happy for the invention of the Segway but very sorry for the pain and suffering the military brings.
Civilization has not happened yet. Our world is not even in its infancy concerning civilization. We live in a barbaric world where religions breed hate and trouble. I see the military as a super religion, under which all other religions let the devil in command. That is why I am secular, that is: without any religion.
How wonderful would the world be if there was none of it! If all could respect one another and share the riches of creation! And glide Segways!
I know the solution to world prosperity and peace; it is global birth control. Before that happens I will have done many a mile on my future Segway.
CaptainZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

FYI: Original Thread (for context)
http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=18577
Old 04-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZen View Post
Cool reactions here! To stay on topic, I always seem to stir up a little storm in forums when introducing myself, I think too far out of the box maybe.
That the wonderful Segway is invented in the same country that abuses its awesome military power is fine with me. I am very happy for the invention of the Segway but very sorry for the pain and suffering the military brings.
Civilization has not happened yet. Our world is not even in its infancy concerning civilization. We live in a barbaric world where religions breed hate and trouble. I see the military as a super religion, under which all other religions let the devil in command. That is why I am secular, that is: without any religion.
How wonderful would the world be if there was none of it! If all could respect one another and share the riches of creation! And glide Segways!
I know the solution to world prosperity and peace; it is global birth control. Before that happens I will have done many a mile on my future Segway.

I am a person who is proud of my country. I know it is not perfect, but we do try.

I served (I volunteered) in this country's military, and met people in the Netherlands who were still happy that we came and politely asked the Germans to leave in the 40s.

The military might of this country is sometimes used inappropriately, but often used well. (If that is possible) Unfortunately, this globe if full of people who would subjugate others, if not kept in check...

Still, when a person comes to a forum based in the United States, and in the first introduction, blames the American Military for strife that predates the formation of this country, it is rude.

And no one spoke up because you spoke out of the box, it was because you introduced yourself with an insult to many people here...

That, at least, is how I saw it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I think that statements made on this topic illustrate how stereotyping works. A person can have a sweeping view of a race, nationality, group or whatever, yet still can relate to, or even like, individual members of that same race, nationality, group.

Don't we all have a general opinion of...Americans; British; the military; politicians; [add your own label to this list] but perhaps know of individuals who negate it. It often doesn't change your perspective of the labelled group.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
I think that statements made on this topic illustrate how stereotyping works. A person can have a sweeping view of a race, nationality, group or whatever, yet still can relate to, or even like, individual members of that same race, nationality, group.

Don't we all have a general opinion of...Americans; British; the military; politicians; [add your own label to this list] but perhaps know of individuals who negate it. It often doesn't change your perspective of the labelled group.

Excellent point. I have struggled with it my whole life...

I spent three years in Germany, while in the US Army. I got permission, and moved into town, and off the army base, as soon as I could. It was much more expensive, but I wanted to explore... And I did. I have German friends that I still keep in touch with today...

When I returned home, Many different people, at different times, asked me, "What were the Germans like?"... That may have been an innocent question, but I never could answer it...

I would have to say, that Germany is a large place, and I met all kinds of Germans. Some were very ordered and formal, others very casual. Some were very aggressive, others were laid back. I never could summarize a whole people in one sentence...

Often, I would just ask in return, "What are Americans like?" and see what I got...

So, while I do agree that preconceptions do exist, and prejudging does happen, it does not make it right or functional.

One of the things this original poster stated they looked forward to was a place where people respect one another. I offer that starting with an insult is not a means to that end...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Artisan
Artisan is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My father was a master sargent....I've been all over the world....an artist and an anthropologist. And the guys at the FJ Cruiser forum have labeled me a "Liberal" just because I have extra large feet and cannot wear much outside of Birkenstocks. So what the hey!
One thing that you learn as a student of history...nothing much changes. The Chinese make slaves of Tibetans...Hitler made slaves of the Jews...blacks were made slaves by the whites...the blacks made slaves of blacks...Christians made slaves of native populations....the English made slaves of the Scots...the Romans made slaves of the Greeks...the Egyptians made slaves of the Hebrews and so on and so on. One country rises..another falls. We try to fight the good fight but there is no black and white. So we continue on in any way we can hoping that we can make things better. I love this country so I fight any way I can to improve it. "Love it or leave it" is plain stupid. Do I blind myself to my country's faults or try to fix them? We have brave people bleeding out their heart's blood on foreign soil in our behalf in what I always believed to be a unwinnable war. They are fighting for this country's ideals and I love them for that. But at the same time we have a corrupt government that takes that same valor, calls the war "romantic" and sweeps these young people's sacrifices under the rug. I remember watching hours of nightly broadcasts of the suffering in the Vietnam war. A good friend came back so shell shocked that I came upon him trying to incinerate himself in our large walk in kiln at our collage one morning. Now I get two minutes of war coverage and five of "American Idol". I now watch BBC America. We need to see what is really going on. Sorry I rambled on again. I have too many people involved in this war...I want to see them honored. At the same time I want the cruelty of war (sorry there are some bad soldiers out there also) exposed, not whitewashed.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote