SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Casterman - I'm sorry to hear that nothing can be done - you never know - with all the customization that goes on as far as attachements etc. some enterprising person will probably come back with an answer.

Someone here gave a demo to a double amputee with prosthetic legs and he did just fine on it.

There have been requests from left handers who wanted right sided grips, but I suppose Segway - with the cost of development etc. at least have to start with a 'one size fits all' environment. Hopefully things will change in time so that it's available to people who have trouble riding as it now comes.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:12 PM   #12
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by herpos

Tak, I too have a mobility disability (muscular dystrophy)and having tried the Segway aboard the Disney Magic a few weeks ago, I am buying one as well. The only real concerns are 1. an ability to step up on the platform (but the central staff helps that and a cane can also help) and 2. an ability to stand somewhat erect rather than lean over and obviously 3.the distance of the glide will depend on standing stamina.
But in every case this is much better than any method for getting around (even for the normal folks)
Regarding your concerns:
1. Holding the center shaft for stability and could cause the Segway to roll forward/backward. If you have difficulty stepping up onto the Segway you can adopt my method. I use a small plastic step. I step up onto it (use my canes for support) and then step onto the Segway.
2. ability to stand erect; it is more comfortable to be relaxed, bent knees are a plus. I carry my step stool on my Segway by leaning it against the center shaft. It also helps to keep my canes from swinging as I'm gliding and I can lean against it if my legs are tired.
3. standing stamina; I think having something to lean against helps. At first you will feel it in your feet, legs and back but after a very short while you build endurance. It will help strengthen your muscles.
Kinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 PM   #13
RedKey
RedKey

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by casterman

I called Segway about the retrofitting and.. I got a polite we are sorry but even at that price we do not support people with disabilities. I have to say i just tried a Segway it is definitely a revolutionary idea. However i feel very disappointed that they do not even pretend or try to help challenged people. That?s not revolutionary sound very old fashion to me. I did not use to have this problem on my left side a year ago. Now i can really experience what physical limitation are all about? Any way hopefully some other company more proactive an wiling to be integrated in our society might under some kind of license build more customizable solution.
Kemal
An odd work-around that I am certainly NOT recommending.....
You could install the handlebar backward (it does rotate). The turning grip would be on the right side. Of course the direction of the grips would be backward, they would face forward. This is a concern because they could get caught on something. Turning with your right hand could be accomplished, but you would need to turn the grip in the opposite direction. This seems nuts to try, but I've seen people try odder things. People adapt and this is the only way I can think of for someone without a left to ride. Hardest part would be adapting to the reverse steering, not that different than learning to back up a boat trailer
Again, this is not something I am recommending. Just food for thought.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #14
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RedKey

An odd work-around that I am certainly NOT recommending.....
You could install the handlebar backward (it does rotate). The turning grip would be on the right side. Of course the direction of the grips would be backward, they would face forward. This is a concern because they could get caught on something. Turning with your right hand could be accomplished, but you would need to turn the grip in the opposite direction. This seems nuts to try, but I've seen people try odder things. People adapt and this is the only way I can think of for someone without a left to ride. Hardest part would be adapting to the reverse steering, not that different than learning to back up a boat trailer
Again, this is not something I am recommending. Just food for thought.
That's really clever! Although, one should sue caution.

Casterman, I think Segway is afraid of the legal implications of helping you. If they modified it for a medical need, they would in fact be endorsing it as a medical device, which they are not allowed to do.

Much luck!

Hubbah

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #15
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

the ht is not and most likely never will be a medically approved device ever....so as hubbah said, you won't find segway offering up suggestions on how to modify the ht.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #16
Blinky
Blinky

5 yr Member

Maybe one of our members (Wayne) can chime in on this topic. He has some experience in adding things to his Segway.

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #17
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by casterman

I called Segway about the retrofitting and.. I got a polite we are sorry but even at that price we do not support people with disabilities. I have to say i just tried a Segway it is definitely a revolutionary idea. However i feel very disappointed that they do not even pretend or try to help challenged people. That’s not revolutionary sound very old fashion to me. I did not use to have this problem on my left side a year ago. Now i can really experience what physical limitation are all about? Any way hopefully some other company more proactive an wiling to be integrated in our society might under some kind of license build more customizable solution.
Kemal
Kemal, I'm sorry that they're unable to move the turn over to the right side. We may think they "should" be able to, but only they really know the innards of the thing and how it works. They're certainly NOT anti-disability - but, I think they are very cautious to say that this is not a device for disabled, because they'd get caught up in FDA problems as trying to market a device for the disabled that wasn't FDA approved.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #18
wayne
wayne has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Blinky,

I took a stab at a possible right side sterring tonight.
My hardware store friend and I did rig up a right side sterring tonight. Yes it did work, how dependable, well that would take a week or two testing. Even building the system will take a week or so making everything fit. And it would look homemade but if it would let someone steer from the right who cares, they could glide with the rest of us then.
I may fool with it in the next few weeks just to see if it will work good enough.

Seg_on
www.kcaps.com/segway.html
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:18 AM   #19
Kinky
Kinky

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:
That's really clever! Although, one should sue caution.

Casterman, I think Segway is afraid of the legal implications of helping you. If they modified it for a medical need, they would in fact be endorsing it as a medical device, which they are not allowed to do.

Much luck!

Hubbah

Why would Segway be afraid of the legal implications when it is their product to revise/adapt as they choose. However, since it is a new product changes would most likely be considered for future models.

Modifying the Segway for a medical purpose or just for variety would not be considered an endorsement of any kind. Cars are modified with adaptive devices for disabled drivers.

I think you are confusing FDA approval which Segway did not seek. That is not to imply that it would not receive FDA approval in the future.

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
[/quote]
Kinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:31 AM   #20
Balance
Balance

5 yr Member

I wonder if you could build something that used a servo to turn the left grip based on a signal received from a control of some sort on the right grip.
Balance is offline   Reply With Quote