SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
ulsterseg1
ulsterseg1

5 yr Member
Default ht user with ms,

My segway has changed my life.I walk with a cane and that is for only short distances.Since i started useing my segway i can do things again almost the way it used to be.I know the machine is not for the disabled but i am and it is working for me.If there is anyone else with ms and a segway please email me.
ulsterseg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

If a Segway HT changed your life for the better, then I'd say it was right for you!

Welcome to SegwayChat ulsterseg1! Looking forward to hearing more from you :-)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Welcome, ulsterseg1. I'm glad to hear that things are working out well for you. I know it's worked out well for a number of MS people on the board.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Welcome ulsterseg1,
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ulsterseg1

I know the machine is not for the disabled but i am and it is working for me.
I disagree with that statement, it's a consumer product and disabled individuals are consumers. The fact that it is a consumer product, therefore available to the mass market, and not a medical device is what makes it so beneficial. The high volumes will drive down prices and it can be bought now instead of dealing with the FDA for 18-24 months while getting approval. Think about the differences between a bicycle and a wheelchair, the frames, wheels and manufacturing methods are all similar, the real difference is you can build one and sell it to anyone and the other has to go through the approval process. Ahh the beauty of red tape.

At any rate, I'm glad it works for you. :-)

--
swiftly flying
citivolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
ulsterseg1
ulsterseg1

5 yr Member

sorry i should have said,the ht is not marketed by segway as a device for the disabled.i am sure more testing and guide lines need to be in place for them to do that.
Mike
ulsterseg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

What a great story. There are a lot of folks using the Segway to regain lost mobility. Glad it's helping you too.

Welcome to the community!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
BrendieRB
BrendieRB

5 yr Member

Right on ulsterseg1!!! I have MS, although I am getting the cure, but I have wanted a Segway for so long... since I first saw it on Jay Leno about 4 years ago... I thought it would allow me to be the person I once was and still dream of being. My hobby is traveling alone and I always thought that the Segway would once agaion help me lose the God-awful cane and allow me the pleasure.
Cheers
Bren

I'm goin' to get my groove on...
BrendieRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Hi Ulsterseg - way to go......

There are several of us who post here who have MS in varying degrees. I think our Segways have our undying devotion and all feel as if they have been given new legs!

I am not severely disabled, but certainly my mobility and stamina are compromised. Having the Segway to rely on is incredible and I can not consider doing a lot of things I couldn't do before Seg.

I should imagine there were quite a few people up and down the East coast who wished they had one at their disposal yesterday!

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #9
Ludwigs
Ludwigs

5 yr Member

Hello all, I have a new HT and an old case of MS. I am sorting out the uses for the Segway, but I know already that it is miraculous.
I bought a car/hitch trailer, but I am working on a different design that doesn't look so much like part of a fire truck.
I have been gliding past old neighborhood that I haven't seen in 10 or 15 years!
Ludwigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:00 AM   #10
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Congratulations Ludwigs,

And Welcome!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote