SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #21
Race3
Race3

5 yr Member

I'm sorry, but I do not believe this was intentional. Maybe his feet were not in the proper position, but you can not tell from this video... because they are blocked from view by the wheel. Also, he is not going that fast and simply tried to stop quickly. What exactly is extreme about that? And I do not see any 'safety shutdown' as PT indicated because it kept rolling backwards even after he fell off. Then it shutdown.

Again, I think the segway is amazing and I want to get one. Just curious about what went wrong in this situation. It looks to me like he was holding the handlebar too close to himself.
Race3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #22
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerxoffl

I have and 3 knee surgeries and think it could improve my lifestyle.
*HAD

Upon reviewing in full screen it still seem to be an accident.
The Segway can be a bit rough on your knees, I hear, as there are no shock-absorbers, aside from the air in the wheels.

The video seems pretty legit to me too... though I don't know if it's a Segway instructor -- I thought they generally teach indoors.

Hubbah

::: http://stinkyshorts.blogspot.com :::
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #23
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Hey Race3,

I think my question got lost in the mix..

Which state do you live in? Would you like to try out a Segway HT for yourself?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #24
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I haven't seen it, so I really can't say.

But the Segway owners here who have seen it say it's someone acting crazy and outside of the normal use of a Segway, and folks without Segways are watching it and wondering what the kid might have done wrong.

I think it might just be someone doing something that folks without Segways don't know is wrong to do.

Yes, they CAN fall over. And I could tell you 10 different ways to make them fall over, all of which someone wouldn't necessarily know before training.

But I've only layed mine down once, and I was uninjured, standing up straddling the handlebar when I hit the ground at less than 1 mile per hour. To someone who didn't know how to use a Segway, it would look like it just shut off.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #25
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

if you couldn't tell, he planned and tried -really- hard to fall over and he did.

cheers,
pt
pt,

It doesn't look to me like he planned to fall over -- it looks like he was encouraged to push the limits of the HT, but instead he went right over them. How can you tell he planned to fall? How can you be so sure?

Hubbah

Old 05-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #26
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

maybe i'm watching a differnt video hubbah, he tried twice to "fall over".

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #27
clm
clm

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Race3

I'm sorry, but I do not believe this was intentional. Maybe his feet were not in the proper position, but you can not tell from this video... because they are blocked from view by the wheel. Also, he is not going that fast and simply tried to stop quickly. What exactly is extreme about that? And I do not see any 'safety shutdown' as PT indicated because it kept rolling backwards even after he fell off. Then it shutdown.

Again, I think the segway is amazing and I want to get one. Just curious about what went wrong in this situation. It looks to me like he was holding the handlebar too close to himself.
I think I got it figured...

First the guy got really radically back, maybe 40 degrees from vertical.

Now there are two way to come out of this. Like his first attempt you can rise up vertical at the end such as to be upright as the segway comes to a stop. This is a move much like stopping on skis and the correct way to do this maneuver.

Secondly, you can lay into it and stay there. Then the Segway reverses direction and drives up underneath you. Try this yourself by rolling back and forth and you'll find that the reverse speed limiter will eventually growl at you for going too fast in reverse.

In the video, it looks to me like he went too fast in reverse for just a moment, but apparently long enough for the Segway to shutdown. The wheels never broke traction, but the Segway was unweighted at that moment and was accelerating backwards very rapidly.

In summary, I think this kid achieved a condition where the Segway thought it was a runaway and did a safety shutdown.

Chris

clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #28
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

He pushed things to the extremes beyond what the Seg could handle. He may have been going faster than 12.5 before he did an emergency stop...the amazing thing is that he didn't fall backwards...the torque that saved him from falling backwards was more than his Seg could stabilize AND he did a gentle fall forward albeit his knuckles.

Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #29
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

maybe i'm watching a differnt video hubbah, he tried twice to "fall over".

cheers,
pt
To me, he looks like a nervous newbie practicing a hard stop, not trying for a fall. We *are* watching the same video, so I'm not sure how you can be so definite in your interpretation.

After his first stop, the rider says "Oh yeah, I got it." Does he mean 'oh,yeah, i've figured out how to make it fall" ??? When the off-camera voice says, 'you gotta let those arms out, you won't fall over,' do you think he's instructing the rider about how to fall over better??
Perhaps... but I wish you would explain an interpretation that seems counter-intuitive to me after careful review of the tape.

Hubbah

Hubbah

Old 05-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #30
Race3
Race3

5 yr Member

Frank, thanks, I'm in the northeast and have already had the opportunity to try the segway. really cool.
Race3 is offline   Reply With Quote