SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Wheels absolutely can and will skid ... particularly on loose or wet surfaces.

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:42 PM   #12
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

So he hit excessive angle leaning back and the Segway went out of balance mode?
Couldn't really tell from video.

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #13
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wheels can and will skid if you decelerate too quickly.

The Segway stops in a few feet. Much quicker than anything you're used to. Normal stopping technique you learn in training will stop you very very quickly and safely.

(Plus, you shouldn't be going so fast!)

But this isn't a demonstration of the normal or even the emergency operation of a Segway. It's a video of what happens if you screw around. It's like going forward in a car, and suddenly slamming it into reverse. It's not the normal way you operate a Segway.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #14
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

racerxoffl-

did you get a segway ht?

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
Race3
Race3

5 yr Member

I have watched this video over and over and not sure what the guy is doing wrong. Is it because he is holding the handlebar too close to his body? He does not look like he is even going that fast and it does not appear he did this intentionally.
Race3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:11 PM   #16
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

race3-

you're kidding right? he backed up, smirked, someone said "you won't fall over" he said "yah, okay" he had his feet on the back of the platform (almost off) he leaned -way- back to stop and pushed way forward which caused a safety shutdown.

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 05-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #17
racerxoffl
racerxoffl

5 yr Member

Not yet I’m in the Palm Beach county Florida. I had planed on replacing my car with a Segway when I lived closer to work. The journey is now 18 miles and simply will not do. I am still interested in the product though. I have and 3 knee surgeries and think it could improve my lifestyle.

I found this posted at http://www.hardocp.com/ and it was apparently a individual at a training seminar as indicated by the may Segways running about.
I believe it was not on purpose and the person was being encouraged to push it harder by the instructor.
racerxoffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:16 PM   #18
god1138
god1138 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Ummm.. I'm sorry to say this. really, if I offend anyone by saying so, forgive me.

What a jacka**.

Ummm... yeah, he must've tried REALLY HARD to make this happen. This is certainly NOT a normal operation of the Segway. I had a few slips and trips before I learned the extents of the machine and how far I could go with it, but boy I learned quickly. I take it the young man in the video learned pretty quickly too. That was EXTRANEOUS limit-pushing behavior if I've ever seen it. Do not try this at home. Do not try this anywhere. It's pretty obvious that when you push the limits of anything, you go home with asphalt between your teeth.

There is only so much the Segway can do... and this is a shining example of misusing the Segway (and of course, the extension of that theory, the chaos that occurs in aftermath of errant behavior on the part of the rider)...

Umm... like I said, sorry if I offended anyone by my initial reaction.

-Robert
"BORN TO GLIDE"
god1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #19
racerxoffl
racerxoffl

5 yr Member

I have and 3 knee surgeries and think it could improve my lifestyle.
*HAD

Upon reviewing in full screen it still seem to be an accident.
racerxoffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #20
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

racerxoffl-

i think it's clear to most resonable people that he did that on purpose, perhaps after the instructor "pushed him". we'd need to see the whole tape to really know. but if you asked me to do the same thing on purpose, i would need to do what he did. back up, smirk- say "yah okay", lean almost over the handlbars, feet almost off the platform, lean too far back, push too far forward.

the ht did a safety shutdown as it should.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff: