SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
BringOnI2
BringOnI2 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing... but I'm a little more tolerant if I think it has the inkling of a tiny chance of a snowball in hell in making the point.
Forum moderation is a thankless task, so let me be the first to say
Thank you JohnG!
Love your sig too
BringOnI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for the kind words... I agree, it IS a thankless task, and one I've been doing here for the past 7 years...
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
mgalliani

Quote:
See? There's another personal attack. Thanks for proving the point.

Of course the moderators are the ones who are going to interpret the terms of service; who else would you expect to do that?
John,

That was personal yes, but an attack? I think not. I was pointing out the fact that your terms of service are interpreted by Florin. Some people (i being one) might disagree with him or god forbid even you. That is far from attacking you, but if that's how a disagreement is seen by the Admin then i suggest you call this a blog rather then a Chat. Lock this thread or don't I no longer care.

Have a great day
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The moderators deserve our repect and understanding in why they do what they do to make their jobs easier to maintain the standards we all agreed to follow. This is an excellent site for information but needs to be moderated periodically when it does seem to get a little personal and off topic.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

You're welcome to disagree Marc. You're not attacking me, except when you make a personal remark or attack on me (as you've done in this thread).

And that's where you and I differ. I have never made a personal attack against you, while you did so against me, when I would suggest there was little reason to do so (other than to feel good about yourself and your opinion).

See? We allow differing points of view here. But that's not going to change our terms of service, who interprets it, or allowing for personal attacks here between members. You start using a thread to attack another member, and you will continue to see that thread closed.

I wonder how much of this non-Segway stuff you'd allow on SegTalk, especially if people started making it personal against you?

John
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I know my thread was shut down. I know it is a common end for them.

What I don't know is why. I can presume it was because of me, as that pattern is clear, but if someone (a moderator) is unhappy with something I said, and I do not know what it is, how will I learn to try to avoid it in the future, or to be ready for the consequences.

I read the last several posts of the thread that was shut down, and did not understand why, but several posts before that, I did respond to a common attack to a statement I made. Is that the reason it was shut down?

I know that my manner is often not appreciated here. That is very clear. What is not so clear is why that thread was shut down. At least not to me.

While some here may not want to believe it, shot gun reactions where the blast takes out everything is not always the best way to correct a problem. Sometimes a more surgical strike is more effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
mgalliani

Quote:
You're welcome to disagree Marc. You're not attacking me, except when you make a personal remark or attack on me (as you've done in this thread).

And that's where you and I differ. I have never made a personal attack against you, while you did so against me, when I would suggest there was little reason to do so (other than to feel good about yourself and your opinion).

See? We allow differing points of view here. But that's not going to change our terms of service, who interprets it, or allowing for personal attacks here between members. You start using a thread to attack another member, and you will continue to see that thread closed.

I wonder how much of this non-Segway stuff you'd allow on SegTalk, especially if people started making it personal against you?

John
John,

I have re-read every word I wrote in this thread and I can not see one instance where I attacked you. I was polite and i stated my opinion. I never once said a derogatory word to you.
As far as SegTalk is concerned, there will be no moderator. Folks can say whatever they want to and if I don't like what they say I will ignore it.
I hope you are not upset with me because I wanted to start SegTalk on Facebook. As i said before I never expect SegTalk to come anywhere near replacing SegwayChat. My intention and hope was to somehow link the two sites to feed each other and give Facebook users a one stop shopping kinda of feel to SegwayChat.
I welcome feedback from you that points out why you feel i'm attacking you so I can avoid it in the future.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder

Sorry, it wasn't me... it was another member, Florin:

Quote:
Or at least Florins interpretation of the terms of service.
This kind of snide remark suggests that Florin's interpretation of the terms of service is somehow inferior to yours. Florin, BTW, is a moderator here, so his interpretation is basically what counts.

Karl, I don't even know where to begin. If you honestly don't see how when you start attacking another member is "off topic", against our terms of service, and unproductive, I don't know how to help you. You do it all the time with just a handful of members (and, not to take sides, they do it to you too). We've talked about this in private, maybe even face-to-face. I have a lot of latitude for it, but at the end of the day, others do not.

The key take-away is some members have issues with other members, and take any opportunity they can to get their digs in against those members. This is unproductive and off-topic, and while I agree, could be better moderated, sometimes we just throw our hands up in the air and give up.

The members win.

Or lose, depending upon how you look at it.

John
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Now it seems the trend is to lock threads even when valuable discussion is taking place, at the loss of everyone, not just the bad apples.
I agree.

Now, what are we supposed to do, start another thread on the same topic to continue the discussion? Does that seem like the most efficient way to manage the forums?

The more I think about that, the more absurd it seems for several reasons...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #20
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

And now, after reading the rest of this topic, please don't consider my previous entry as an attack on anyone here.

I'm not sure what's safe to say anymore....
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote