SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I used it all the time to make it easier for my Gen1s to fit in my Smart cars. But if you are having the reset problem and need to disconnect the control shaft cables, then I will also help with that.
Oops - I meant to say it will help with that. Not I will help with that. I'm a bit too far away to offer you personal assistance.

Last edited by gbrandwood; 10-19-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: typo
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
This has all been very helpful-but i have more questions (of course!)

1. slime-i assume you use this only to patch a leak or flat? Does the tire then need to be replaced? can they be fixed at a repair shop like my car tires can?

2. CO2 pump & cartiages- can use these just to top off tires? If tire should be 15 and it reads only 6, can i use this to get to 15? What if i don't need all the cartridge- what do i do with the remaining co2? What kind of stem valve do i have?

Txs- grace
And I have a question too... One tire has had the tube replaced (some of us learn the hard way. <G>) That same tire with the new tube is low for the second time after about a month. The other with the original tube is fine after 2 years of use. It is almost a 150 mile trip to the dealer--who when he replaced the tube neglected to check the other tire--which was also low. Fortunately I had learned enough to recognize that fact.

The local mechanics don't want to bother with filling it for me--their hose connection doesn't fit properly in the space allowed. Is there a particular type of guage that works well? It is difficult for e to get it turned over to check...

The young man at Walmart this morning finally had to get a pair of pliers to get his connection to work. The crew there agreed that slime would not be a solution.....

Suggestions?

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I would love to say that there is this neat trick that you can do, but some things are just hard.

The valve from the factory is not in a convenient place, simple as that. Even so, it is not really that hard for those who are used to dealing with such things, and are just a tad creative.

Many people lay the machine on one wheel, or face down, so they can more easily access the valves. There is not much room to work, unless you rotate the wheel so the valve (Just like a car or bike tire) is near the bottom of the machine, sticking below the batteries. Then most any valve end from the compressor or air source will work.

For me, I am too lazy for all that, and I moved the valves so they are accessable from the outside, like the gen 1 machines were. I am an electromechanical Engineer, so it was not too much of a stretch for me to deal with factory standard, or modify it as I see fit.

Again, I wish I could say to just do this or just do that, but the reality is that the valves require a great deal more effort that would be optimum. I guess the gen 2 machines are slaves to fashion.

I have a CO2 pump, but the gas comes out too fast, so it is hard to just ‘top off’ the pressure”. That is for me, with my pump,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

CO2 inflators aren't really a pump, seeing how they just release compressed gas. Just clarifying that so that newbies don't get confused.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You should also carry a copy of all rules regulations concerning your right to use the Segway as your mobility device.

I know that technically these are not "tools" but someday you may need them.

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think I have a summary of all suggested:

1. Allen wrench set or quick release tool (for taking apart seg if needed)
2. CO2 pump/device and CO2 cartage's (to inflate tires if flat)
3. Slime (to help seal a tire puncture before adding CO2)
4. Lock (for quick tie-ups if needed)
5. Power cord (to plug in as needed)
6. Plastic bag(s) (to assist in carrying "stuff"- that you don't want to put in seg bag.
7. Manuals (for reference if needed)
8. Copy of rights/ada
9. Cleaner/rags (as needed for cleaning up hands/seg)
10. ??

Did I forget anything?
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My wife insists I take a cell phone with me.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
goldwing_midland_tx
goldwing_midland_tx is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
I think I have a summary of all suggested:

1. Allen wrench set or quick release tool (for taking apart seg if needed)
2. CO2 pump/device and CO2 cartage's (to inflate tires if flat)
3. Slime (to help seal a tire puncture before adding CO2)
4. Lock (for quick tie-ups if needed)
5. Power cord (to plug in as needed)
6. Plastic bag(s) (to assist in carrying "stuff"- that you don't want to put in seg bag.
7. Manuals (for reference if needed)
8. Copy of rights/ada
9. Cleaner/rags (as needed for cleaning up hands/seg)
10. Tire guage

Did I forget anything?
I added the tire guage to number 10
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Carrying a d-ring & bungie cord may be helpful.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Tx-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
X-man
X-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Location: As a full time RVer, I'm on a road somewhere in the west
5 yr Member

I carry a charging cord, hex wrenches, a strap wrench and a bottle of water in the bag of my i180.
I also have enough money in my wallet for cab fare.

Hmmm. Should I check my AAA coverage?

Help keep the streets safe, support your local velodrome
X-man is offline   Reply With Quote