SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Tools every Seg should have in their bag?

After needing to take my CS apart last week- I now know I need to carry a metric hex/allen wrench set with me. I already carry an electronic air pressure gauge (i found that most of the manual ones didn't go low enough), a spare lock, and bubble wrap "just in case". What else should I consider "essential tools"? What about low pressure or a flat tire- what can i do about these when not at home?
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
After needing to take my CS apart last week- I now know I need to carry a metric hex/allen wrench set with me. I already carry an electronic air pressure gauge (i found that most of the manual ones didn't go low enough), a spare lock, and bubble wrap "just in case". What else should I consider "essential tools"? What about low pressure or a flat tire- what can i do about these when not at home?
I am curious, what is the bubble wrap for?

I would say that a spare battery for the Info Key is a good idea (under the console trim) and I always carry a charge cord. If on a long glide, and you stop for lunch, it never hurts to top it off.

As far as tires, dead flat I have never tried, but gliding on low pressure (lower than you think you should) is more of a control factor than a show stopper. The low tire side will have a tendency to make the machine drift in that directions, but you can control it. Some have even reported having a flat tire and gliding for some time, not knowing what was wrong. The effect on steering is hard to miss, but you often can still get home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
For a Gen1 user, the quick release tool was a handy addition. It will replace your need to use the hex wrench to remove the control shaft, making it easier and quicker to remove/attach (for you and for a stranger though I guess). I always had one on my Gen1s.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default 'tools' i use the most.

I have never used the alan wrenches in the field but since they don't take up much space I keep them in the bag.

The Items that get the most use are:
water bottle
rag
air gauge
C02 inflator from genuineinnovations
plastic bag
bag of dog treats!
couple of paper towels
Cable Lock

I find that the water bottle and rag get the most use.
wiping off my hands or wiping down the seg from a drink spill or other mess. (wiping off dog's feet if they get into something I don't want on my shoes or seg).
plastic shopping bag for times when I go shopping (take out food) and I can put the paper bag in the plastic bag and hang it off my handlebars.
Plastic bag is also good for the wet rag if it really gets that wet.
Paper towels because the fast food place forgot to put some in the bag.

As for a flat tire, I've slimed my tires and the airguage and C02 are all you'd need in the field.
otherwise you need to carry some kind of tire tool kit to take the tire off and patches for the holes.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Yes- i do have a power cord with me always. Bubble wrap and a large plastic bag also. At trade shows, they frequently have transportation from hotel to convention center. The drivers very willingly place the seg in the luggage compartment- so i keep the shaft bubble wrapped and place the bag over to try and keep the seg bag clean. I do also have painters tape to secure the above.

quick release tool? don't have one - where and why?

glide on low air- good to know i can if needed. But what is a CO2 pump? where? why?

"slimed" ??

thanks- grace
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Ksagel- you talked about an extra battery for? what kind? Again i'm using an 1gen.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Ksagel- you talked about an extra battery for? what kind? Again i'm using an 1gen.
I made a mistake. The info key I mentioned is only for Gen 2. I missed the clues you were gliding on a gen 1.

A CO2 pump is a small device about the size of my thumb. It uses a small metal cartridge of compressed carbon dioxide. These cartridges are easy to find in sporting goods stores and are used for many things, including some air guns for paintball and BBs. The pumps are often at automotive or bicycle retailers in person or on line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default some tools

the C02 inflator I carry is this one: the 'air chuck'
It's nice because it can screw on to a number of different sized CO2 cartridges.

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/ai...truction-.html

as for tire slime:
http://www.slime.com/product/74/Tire-Sealant.html
available in any auto parts store or sometimes even your local segway shop.
I put 10oz in each (tubeless) tire. (I still have a gen one).

I don't carry a power cord any more, but I keep one in my car.
99% of my trips are round trips of 10 miles or less, and I never have anywhere to charge other than my garage. so the power cord came out of the bag.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
quick release tool? don't have one - where and why?
http://www.segway.com/downloads/pdfs/quick_release.pdf

It was an optional accessory for Gen1 machines. It allows you to easily and quickly remove your control shaft without the use of an allan key. I used it all the time to make it easier for my Gen1s to fit in my Smart cars. But if you are having the reset problem and need to disconnect the control shaft cables, then I will also help with that.

As to where you will get one from nowadays, you could try a few dealers who have been in the game a while and still service Gen1 machines, you could check eBay or post a wanted add in the buy/sell forum here. Good luck
Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
gracefuli

5 yr Member

This has all been very helpful-but i have more questions (of course!)

1. slime-i assume you use this only to patch a leak or flat? Does the tire then need to be replaced? can they be fixed at a repair shop like my car tires can?

2. CO2 pump & cartiages- can use these just to top off tires? If tire should be 15 and it reads only 6, can i use this to get to 15? What if i don't need all the cartridge- what do i do with the remaining co2? What kind of stem valve do i have?

Txs- grace