SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 AM   #21
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
How would we be able to assume that? Often times word-filters are not tuned properly and find "bad" words in innocuous words. The default install of this very forum software filters out the word "spice" because it contains a bad word, for instance. I see no wrong-doing.
Why do stalwarts of that other forum feel they can offer anything objective regarding this argument?

I am quite familiar with the vBulletin forum software and can't understand why you tried to sneak some false information about it in here. There are no default words in the bad word filter. None. The administrator has to put any words in there. This forum's administration chose to put that other website's domain name in there. It is common knowledge and you and Gihgehls are both aware of it. It has even been a topic of discussion over there. Who are you trying to fool?

When you have to edit your post because the word you used caused asterisks - and then you make your point even stronger by capitalizing every spaced letter of the blocked word - you know you are circumventing an administrative option. You know you are breaking a rule. The rule doesn't have to be written.

But belaboring this issue is, I s'pose, reasonable to some who are champions of that other site. After all, the load of crap they filled the ether with in justifying their copyright infringements indicates an argument with those like-minded individuals would be futile. So, I'm gonna stop now. It's a game I don't wish to play with anyone anymore.
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #22
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
The rule doesn't have to be written.
It is written, however! Click on the Terms of Service link at the bottom of every page, and you'll find:
Quote:
(ix) discusses the administrative actions regarding a specific member, Prohibited Content, or administration or management of this site; ... (xii) promotes competitive sites or resources without first obtaining SegwayChat.com’s prior written permission;
As you can see, even talking about this is against policy, and we should get back to talking about Segways.

I'm not in favor of protectionist policies like this, but as I see it, my choice is between accepting the terms, or going elsewhere. Obviously, I've chosen to accept the terms. Except I (very) occasionally bend them slightly for posts like this, which are paradoxically in support of the policy -- violating the policy to point out that the policy exists, and we should be following the policy.

(The paradox stems from the self-referential nature of the policy itself).

So, of course, the administrators will be entirely justified in deleting this post, if they so choose. And I won't make them anymore, if they ask.

I'm generally happy with the administration of this site, outside this one policy.

I don't know the history here. I haven't seen, and can't find, instances of copyright violation at that other site. And I don't want to provoke a rehash of history! So I'll just register my general agreement that copyright violation should be taken seriously.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
It is written, however!
I stand corrected. Corrected, and confused, since I've seen mods here suggesting alternative sites.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default The terms of service are updated every so often

As things come up on SegwayChat that cause problems, and they always do, then the terms of service have to be updated to cover them.

We have had a limited number of moderators on this site, who have many other things going on in their lives other than just moderating Segway Chat, and do so in their spare time. We catch what we can, and what we don't catch, the members bring to our attention very quickly. Sadly we have some members who take great pleasure in pushing the envelope and breaking the rules, bullying or forcing their views on other members. Luckily they are very few and far between, and we keep them on a short leash and watch their posts closely.

The membership of this site is actually the best moderator we have. When a member brings something to the moderators’ attention, we do what we can to fix the issue, or diffuse the problem at hand.

S O L is able to use many of the trademark images from Segway as it is owned by a distributor of the Segway product, Steven Brown who operates out of the UAE, and has the rights to use them as a Segway dealer and distributor. SegwayChat is able to use trademark images, as it was granted permission early on by Segway in the days when Segway was hardly even known. John worked for Segway from the early days and though he has moved on he still has a close relationship with company and many of the people there, which helps when issues arise.

SegwayChat is an independent organization and is not owned, or funded by Segway or any dealer or distributor. Though, many Segway employees are members, as are many dealers and distributors, and they do read the posts. I am often amazed when talking to the employees at Inc., or a dealer, and they quote something that just showed up on the site. So yes, they do read your posts!

One of the best things to do when posting on any site, is to think about what you are writing before you hit the submit button.

But this is getting off track from its orginal purpose, which was to talk about a corporate blocking of chat sites.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #25
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If you need it for your job, that should be the end of it. You could tell them that they can either unblock it or start expecting you to turn in projects with "missing pieces" that are their own fault.

As for non-work uses... different companies have different policies, but sadly the USA has so few employee protection laws that your employers can say anything they want is a "policy violation" and can fire you for any reason, or no reason. Nowadays you're probably better off just getting a 3G phone (like my iPhone ) and trying not to use office computers for any more than you have to.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #26
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Strangely enough, after complaining to management about being blocked here, I now have access to this and even youtube.

However, I find that photobucket is now blocked which I really need in order to send out links to sales videos.

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote