SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Question Any Tours Using The i2 Now?

If so, how is it going? And, are you training at the same time on both the HT and the PT?

I'm still on the fence whether or not to convert yet. I want to see some period of 'real time' use first.

And, I want lots of questions addressed by 'new group' experience.

It's way too early to convert my units to the i2 until I see if this change is permanent or just another 'new coke' market test.

One of the biggest concerns is the elimination of the 'yellow key speed/turn'. To me, it is much more risky taking large groups on 'red key tours'. My accident record is outstanding for the number of riders we have taken on tour, and there is NOTHING that I will do to compromise 'tour safety'...
Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides
Any Tours Using The i2 Now?
Does this count? I realize they don't do Segway tours exclusively, but their repertoire does include several Segway tours.

i2 video we took over the last three weeks

Looks like Mr. Kirkland is willing to answer questions:

The i2

Map shows about 100 miles away from your location by land, less by sea.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Demand is out-gliding Supply

Right now the first retail deliveries are just starting to happen. Each dealer only got a handful, if that, to have on hand for customer demos, so there is not enough in any one place for a tour company to operate with.

I think it will not be until next month that I2's will be showing up in dealerships in the numbers required for tour companies needs. No tour company will do a mixed fleet tour - that would take way too much time training everyone on two different gliding systems.

I believe that the Phoneix Arizona tour company will be up and gliding soon with close to a dozen of the I'2s as well as Segway Authorized Tour Company in Annapolis MD, Segway of Annapolis. As that dealer is an active participant in DCSEG I know they have more than trippled their initial I'2 order as well as the X2 order, as there has been so much interest in the new machines, and so many deposits placed to hold the orders.

From my experience people who have never been on a Segway, seem to prefer the new machines over the older ones.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Will,

Are the Segway Authorized Tour Company's also Segway dealers?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
Segway Shawn
Segway Shawn can only hope to improve

5 yr Member
Thumbs up Tour for Two on the New Segway i2

Segway New Mexico is offering a Couples Tour on the New Segway i2. Take a cruise through Historic Old Town in Albuquerque or the Santa Fe Plaza at sunset.

We also offer Nature Tours on the Segway XT that is a whole bunch of fun. Follow a tour guide down along the Bosque trails near the Rio Grande River. See nature up close! This Nature tour is almost as much fun as our fishing tour where we catch "Huge" Trout and Catfish.

Visit Segway New Mexico's website at http://segwaynm.com for more information on these tours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Albuquerque & Santa Fe
(505) 244-1420

Last edited by Segway Shawn; 08-25-2006 at 01:58 AM..
Segway Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

According to the video, Billy at Sanibel has been using the new safer Segways on his tours.

Great video here.
http://www.billysrentals.com/flv.php?id=240

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
joe
joe will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
And, are you training at the same time on both the HT and the PT?
Well, all Segway models are now PTs... so you mean Gen I and Gen II. That's a tough question. At least you'll need two instructors and disallow changing the machines between the attendees.

Quote:
It's way too early to convert my units to the i2 until I see if this change is permanent or just another 'new coke' market test.
Are you joking? The "market test" is already passed (if there were one) and there is no way back (except maybe a continued i180 model for "special needs" but I doubt).

Quote:
One of the biggest concerns is the elimination of the 'yellow key speed/turn'.
You should know that the Gen II features a "turtle mode" which is similar to the yellow key, and this setting is lockable too. And for fleets custom programming will be available, I've read.

--
Johannes
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
You should know that the Gen II features a "turtle mode" which is similar to the yellow key, and this setting is lockable too. And for fleets custom programming will be available, I've read.
And the possibility for a master key. Although it's not available now according to the FAQs at Segway.com. I was surprised to read about the possibility of a master key,especially that they already exist for large commercial customers (Gen 1).
Old 08-31-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Yes, Segway Authorized Tours have to be a dealer.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

To echo joe, I believe that Segway can program InfoKeys to make the machine top out at various speeds less than 12.5 mph. So you could probably lock your machines into a "black/yellow" equivalent instead of "black/red."

Also, the new "turtle" mode is a bit of a hybrid between the old modes, but is most similar to "black key" speed.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote