SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
MIT
MIT

5 yr Member
Default Hitch Hike

I would love to get a Segway for my mother who has difficulty walking distances BUT the catch is she has macular degeneration ie her vision is only peripheral.Assuming we together don't go over the weight limit how safe/practical would it be for me to ride with her?
Normally I would simply try before buying BUT no distribution in Australia yet.Anyone tried picking up hitch hikers who can tell me pros & cons.
MIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

MIT, I think we even have some board members from Australia, maybe you could use the serach feature in the links at the top of this page to find someone from Australia. Re: Macular Degen - I don't know waht to say. You do need to be able to see upcoming problems in the surfaces you're going over, is all I can think. It's possible that she compensates for this already. I'm not much help in that regard. Sorry.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Two riders are a no no. Macular Degeneration will cause her to not be able , at some point , to ride safely and safety is number one as you get up there in age. If she were to fall a total hip replacement of a broken bone could do her in for good. Its your best best to try a motorized cart. Safer for you mom and cheaper for you both in the short and the long run.

peace is a oneway street, with no crossroads and no deadends
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:33 AM   #4
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well, darn, I read MITs post so fast, I missed the main thrust! I agree with Mr. Laurenzano in that as we age the damage in a fall is worsened. Having said that, we had a family at Segway Fest where the husband and wife rode together on their Segway. She rode behind him. I"m not sure I'd encourage it, but I have seen it done. They also pulled their daughter in a cart attached behind.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Good vision is a MUST when riding a Segway. Small bumps in the pavement can send you flying when traveling at full speed.

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #6
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIT

I would love to get a Segway for my mother who has difficulty walking distances BUT the catch is she has macular degeneration ie her vision is only peripheral.Assuming we together don't go over the weight limit how safe/practical would it be for me to ride with her?
Normally I would simply try before buying BUT no distribution in Australia yet.Anyone tried picking up hitch hikers who can tell me pros & cons.
Hi MIT

I have a Segway in Melbourne.
I am just an owner, not a distributor.
Thus I can't give you any 'factory type' advice.

Whilst HT's are not specifically intended for people with any disabilities, there may be applications from time to time.
I suspect that your case may be innapropriate.
1 Single riders only !
2 Vision is vital.

I have co-operated with Rehabtech here in Melbourne.
You may get their details here:
http://www.monash.edu.au/rehabtech/pub/tlink/jun03.pdf
You or your medical advisors may contact them for appropriately qualified information.

Good luck
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:19 AM   #7
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Hi MIT,

I can vouch for that (dgbint)...and happy to discuss!

Can get ontous via the website mentioned above...

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #8
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I have Stargardt's Disease, otherwise known as Juvenile Macular Degeneration. I've ridden the Segway on many occassions and over varied terrain with no problems. I actually enjoy riding the Segway so that I am not surprised by holes and dips. The tires take the impact pretty well in my opinion.

But, if your mother is quite elderly, and has profound vision loss, then the frustration of dealing with new technology could overwhelm her, resulting in the HT sitting in a corner.

Maybe you could check out the IMT for her. It's a miniature telescope that is implanted into an eye to improve vision. Clinical trials are currently underway. I'm not sure if they're conducting any in your are though.

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #9
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I wouldn't double-glide. It's dangerous. It's against the safety manuals, and it forces the Segway to work outside of its envelope of safety.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote