SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Small victories--one at a time

I'm attending a large sewing and quilting show at the Kansas City International Airport Expo Center. Apparently as soon as I rode my Segway in, someone notified security. I think the gentleman was show staff, not Expo staff. He asked if I had a medical condition that made it necessary, then said that he thought I would have to sign in or something.

A woman appeared with a waiver form absolving the show of liability. We visited a few minutes about how it worked. I read the form, we visited a bit more and then she said, "Ah, just go on it. Forget the form." I thought that a bit strange but didn't argue. <G>

Later in the day, the first gentleman told me that I had been talking to the show owner and she was so impressed by how I used the Segway that it had convinced her it was not going to cause any liability issues.

Small victories!

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Lily-

Good job and if nobody else has mentioned it, you are a great warrior for segway acceptance.

I love quilts (being from kentucky), but mostly to sleep under during a cold winter's night. I need to look around to find a good home-made one... my KMart special is getting pretty threadbare and wasn't that comfy in the first place.

Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Hi Lily-

Good job and if nobody else has mentioned it, you are a great warrior for segway acceptance.

I love quilts (being from kentucky), but mostly to sleep under during a cold winter's night. I need to look around to find a good home-made one... my KMart special is getting pretty threadbare and wasn't that comfy in the first place.

Bud
Thank you, sir. I love this machine because it has given me a freedom I thought I had lost. And besides, I'm having a whee of a time!

Hmmm...there is no law that says you couldn't learn to create your own quilt. There is always a free beginner's class at Quilt University. <G>

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Hmmm...there is no law that says you couldn't learn to create your own quilt. There is always a free beginner's class at Quilt University. <G>

Lily
No way!
I've never been accused of being artistic and barely have enough free time to ride the seg occasionally. Between that and being severly afflicted with the cheap gene, my options are pretty limited. Maybe I could get two 'inexpensive' quilts from Kmart and have somebody sew them together back to back?

Ok- I'm officially un-hijacking this thread.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am not a quilter, but I can sew, and have made several garments over the years. I even had to make my Wife's Maid of Honor's dress to settle an argument between them years ago. I am more comfortable working with canvas and leather, repairing a backpack or boot, than with chiffon, but so be it.

I do also agree that the polite and success fight for access and acceptance is a valuable one, and complements to the OP.

As far as the hijack, I did not mind at all, and it was nice to read a thread, even a short one, with nothing but polite banter.

Kudos.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]
I do also agree that the polite and success fight for access and acceptance is a valuable one, and complements to the OP.

As far as the hijack, I did not mind at all, and it was nice to read a thread, even a short one, with nothing but polite banter.

Kudos.
At the end of the three day Expo (and I had been running around for a good share of the time all three days, giving people more than just a quick passing observation), two different people said much the same thing to me, "You use it like it is an extension of your body!"

I had not thought of it exactly in that way before, but they are absolutely right and I think that a total lack of understanding of this may be at the very core of much of the official apprehension about the disabled using a Segway.

You ride in a wheelchair or scooter as a means of transportation. I'm guessing that only those athletic disabled who use a racing type wheelchair and play things like basket ball really use a wheel chair as an extension of their body.

The intuitive factor in how a Segway responds to your body language does make it very different in this respect. I'm also guessing that those who use a Seg with a seat find it even more so. This is quite different than just making wheels turn or pushing a small handle to make it move.

Because it can be used this way, the fact that it can also used as a recreational device where body awareness, emotion and "fun" become a part of the equation should make it even more acceptable for the disabled instead of its being lumped with other transportation devices such as ATVs, golf carts etc in the new ADA's OPDMD rules...

I don't know of any other mobility device with this kind of intuitive capability and have never thought of it this way before. As I said, the problem is a total lack of understanding of its inherent capabilities beyond just transporting one from here to there. Now the really BIG question, how do we get officials who have no desire to learn or understand this to get that idea??? And how do we do that and get past and beyond the "expensive toy" or "mall cop" images?

Hmmm....I still like the idea of a disabled segway dance team....

Amen to that!

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 10-27-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Old 10-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
X-man
X-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Location: As a full time RVer, I'm on a road somewhere in the west
5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post

Hmmm....I still like the idea of a disabled segway dance team....
I wonder what happened to Kelsey and the other Segway dancers?

Always be a good ambassador of the machines as you demonstrated.
It has always been my policy to never attract any undue attention with my machine. There have been guidelines published over the years but I can't tell one where to find them.
It's just common sense to respect the other person in a manner you would like to be treated. Unfortunately not too many people acknowledge that courtesy.

Help keep the streets safe, support your local velodrome
X-man is offline   Reply With Quote