SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #21
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Good to know, thanks. Was wondering why there seemed to be no reaction from the inquiry via the company page.

Thanks,
SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
I have received comments back from my not-so-local dealer through the contact a dealer page. I think a lot depends on how computer literate the dealer is.
Pam
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
SEGsby

5 yr Member

*nods* Points well spoken.

The one thing I found odd was, after the rental which ended on the 26th of August, no one at the store said, "So, would you like to buy one?" All they said was, "Have you seen the new i2?" Which I had earlier that week...

I told them I had a great time with the machine, learned a lot about it, and that was that.

Thanks,
SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides
Where I live jet ski rentals go for $65 per 'half' hour. More than our 2.5 hour Segway tour at $61. $500 per week for a Segway rental does on the face of it seem high, but consider this:

The freedom to ride without supervision brings a much higher liability potential for the business, therefore the cost-to-rent needs to reflect the higher cost of coverage. In a rental situation the Segway seems to age more quickly and parts come back more frequently broken.

On the other hand $500 is a fair rental cost for seven days. A tour operation that charges $65 per tour, two times per day, seven days per week will earn much more than $500.

If the application of a rental towards a purchase did not come with a time limit, they should honor it.

This is a classic reason why I chose not to become a Segway dealer. The ONLY customers I have are 100% happy ones. There is NEVER a conflict of interest from a tour customer feeling pressured to purchase on impulse 'after the tour'. Our enthusiasm for the tour is genuine, with no motive to sell. How many bus or trolley tours sell the buses or trolleys, NONE. And, there is never any customer service issues. Our biggest problem occurs at the end of each tour, nobody wants to get off the machines!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #23
SEGsby

5 yr Member
Smile I ordered my i2 today!

Today went well...

I got a call back from the saleswoman from Segway in LA, and she said they could apply $300 of my week rental to the purchase. Though not the full amount, it was many times better then nothing.

I was informed that I could also pay for the Commuter Package, get the base machine now, then wait for the parts; as others have done.

This seemed much better than yesterday's discussions, so I was pretty happy. I put down $500 on my debit card for the deposit to order the new i2 machine.

Was told the rental credit would be added in later, after the machine comes in and the deal is finalized. My new white i2 Segway should supposedly arrive later in the month.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and support,

SEGsby
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #24
TheRonster
TheRonster has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default Not ambiguous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby
Then I asked if it was possible to apply my $500 rental from August 19th, 2006, to a new machine purchase as stated on their web site. She first said, "No. Usually people buy the machine they're renting right afterwards." I replied, "But the i180 I rented isn't being made anymore and the i2's came out during the period I was renting..."

http://www.segway.la/rental.php
There is nothing ambiguous about their terms: "Rental costs can be credited toward a future Segway HT purchase." It doesn't say "... toward the purchase of the very same Segway you rode" or "... must be used within 12 days of your rental" or "... 50% of rental costs can be credited ...."

I would've held them to their offer. The wording may have been clumsy or not what they meant to say, but I bet their lawyer would shrug and say "Sorry."

They're lucky you settled for $300 of the $500 you should have gotten.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be wary of what other commitments and offers they will try to weasel out of next.
TheRonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #25
Red Seg
Red Seg is just really niceRed Seg is just really niceRed Seg is just really niceRed Seg is just really nice

5 yr Member

I have paperwork from renting a machine from Segway Los Angeles (located in Santa Monica) in July, 2005. It clearly states,

"Should you decide to buy, we will gladly credit up to $300 of your rental toward the purchase."

I don't know if they have reprinted anything since then but the rates on the web match those I have in print...

Their web page states "If you would like to rent a Segway before making the decision to purchase, we will gladly deduct up to $300 of your rental from the purchase price if you decide to buy within 30 days." I have no idea how long that has been there but it is shown on the XT/i180/GT page with a 2005 copyright. (A web page is not a binding contract.)

It doesn't state that you have to purchase the machine that was rented or make a commitment immediately after the rental but it does state that the limit is $300. This protects them from someone renting for two months and then expecting $1800 off a brand new machine (Or using their machine for six months and then gliding out with a new machine for $200!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #26
SEGsby

5 yr Member
Smile

I never browsed their entire site-- just the rental page to check rates. Its where I got the info they could apply a rental twards purchase (sans any exclusions or limitations, etc.).

Your info is much appreciated and is in line with what was offered as a purchase credit yesterday vs the prior day on the phone. This makes me feel better about the transaction.

thanks,
SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Seg
I have paperwork from renting a machine from Segway Los Angeles (located in Santa Monica) in July, 2005. It clearly states,

"Should you decide to buy, we will gladly credit up to $300 of your rental toward the purchase."

I don't know if they have reprinted anything since then but the rates on the web match those I have in print...

Their web page states "If you would like to rent a Segway before making the decision to purchase, we will gladly deduct up to $300 of your rental from the purchase price if you decide to buy within 30 days." I have no idea how long that has been there but it is shown on the XT/i180/GT page with a 2005 copyright. (A web page is not a binding contract.)

It doesn't state that you have to purchase the machine that was rented or make a commitment immediately after the rental but it does state that the limit is $300. This protects them from someone renting for two months and then expecting $1800 off a brand new machine (Or using their machine for six months and then gliding out with a new machine for $200!).