SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
muncle
muncle is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hi from on the road

We've had our i167 for aout 4 years now and it's worked fine for us. We use it in some of the state parks where we are Park Hosts. It's handy to make contact with campers and I bungee a bucket to the column and use the Segway to go around and pick up trash with long tongs... never have to get off the machine.

All good things can't last I guess. I recently, after a two months of sitting, charging, outside in humid Oregon weather, have received the dreaded "red ring and wrench". (Oregon State Parks don't allow Segway's on the park roads)

I switched the batteries but it didn't change the start-up error. Then I unplugged and re-plugged the connectors on the wires in the column. Suddenly it worked!! I rode up and down the park roads with a face as happy as on the machine. A day later when I tried it, the red ring/wrench again. Re-checked the connections but didn't switch the batteries yet.

When it's plugged in and charging, sometimes the green charging lights flash in tandem at the same time. Sometimes they alternate... left, right, left , right, etc. Once it looked like one was flashing two times for the other flashing once.

Being retired and on a fixed income, major repairs can't be justified. I might be able to do a battery rejuv. if that's what it takes to get running again. I hate the thought of having a several thousand dollar boat anchor.

I've read several threads that speak of some of the same issues but maybe there's something new or something I've missed. I hope the community can offer some advice.

Thanks
muncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Has any water gotten into it? There is a moisture sensor in the base that will keep the unit from running until it's dried out.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
muncle
muncle is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Moisture...

It sat out under cover most of the time in the two week rainy season in Oregon but a couple of times there was water on the platform/handle bars.

If I open the base, will it help dry it out IF it had gotten wet?
muncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i167, moisture, problems, red wrench