SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
ArizonaMtns
ArizonaMtns is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Cool Loose antenna ???

I own a 2008 X2 that has about 5000 miles on it --- well cared for with original batteries... I spend 6 months in the valley of the sun and 6 months in the mountains near Flagstaff... The Segway travels with me so does not see extreme cold or heat...

All of sudden the only way to turn the Seg on or off is if I have the info key close to the control board... Does it with both keys with fresh batteries...

Search of the Seg chat, to me, seems to be a loose antenna... Your thoughts??? I am pretty mechanical so feel that I can do the work myself but would like to have input from anyone that has done this kind of surgery before... I read with interest the gentleman that seem to have a similar problem with his Seg called Trigger...

Thanks --- Mark
ArizonaMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

When did you last replace the battery within the infokey ?
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
When did you last replace the battery within the infokey ?
Was "Does it with both keys with fresh batteries..." unclear?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
RMullins
RMullins is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Fresh infokey batteries don’t always mean correct voltage. If you confirm the batteries are at 2.9 or greater you can rule them out as the cause.

The likely issue is that your radio board is starting to fail. Since a radio board is programmed to the unit SN, it’s a part that needs to be ordered through an authorized dealer.
RMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
ArizonaMtns

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMullins View Post

The likely issue is that your radio board is starting to fail. Since a radio board is programmed to the unit SN, it’s a part that needs to be ordered through an authorized dealer.
So you say it is not likely a loose antenna but a radio board??? Any way to confirm this short of taking it apart to check???

Thanks Mark
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
ArizonaMtns

5 yr Member

If anyone else has dealt with this control board or loose antenna issue would like to hear from you...

Thanks Mark
Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default 2006 X2 & have removed, replaced radio board . . .

2006 X2 & have removed, replaced radio board . . .

I believe this was a deficiency with the original X2's. My Radio Board started to fail early on and I had to have the InfoKey 2 inches from the hump for it to connect for a number of years. I've gone through 8-10 InfoKeys (mostly because of the spring issue) and the systemic failure of the Radio Board was only fixed by purchasing a new Board through my dealer. The Radio Board is a 3 X 5 inch plug-in that is directly under the "hump".

Not hard to replace and the antenna is only a plug in. I believe it was the initial deficiency in the manufacturing of the Radio Board itself that caused connection problems. The new Radio Board is now almost 9 years installed and I haven't had a connection problem since the replacement. It easily connects within 1 meter or so. Unfortunately, InfoKeys still suffer from the spring problem.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
RMullins
RMullins is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaMtns View Post

So you say it is not likely a loose antenna but a radio board??? Any way to confirm this short of taking it apart to check???

Thanks Mark
Thats my opinion, based on the fact that I have never seen it. But if others in the forum have further info on that issue I will yield to them. What I do see is radio boards that fail and display the symptoms you described.

In your original post you stated, "does not see extreme cold", so i did not address that issue. There are some units from 2006 to 2008 that have a cold start issue when the temperature is low. The easiest way to diagnose this issue is the following:

1. Leave the unit plugged in
2. Power the unit up with the infokey from the normal distance
3. If it powers on, remove the power cord
4. If the start up process works for you, then your radio board is experiencing the cold start issue and will require a new radio board to resolve

Also, there is an extraction tool to remove the console cover. If you try to remove the cover to get to the radio board without the proper tool you may damage the console housing. My advice would be to contact a dealer. If you need further guidance you can call our shop (location in bio) and I can give you pricing, how long the repair takes, etc.
RMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
ArizonaMtns

5 yr Member
Default X2

My Segway works perfectly except for the fact I have to hold the info key down low at the center counsel to turn it on and off...

I plugged in the Segway to charge and then tried to start with the key in the info key holder, on the handle bar, and was unable to start --- lowered the key down low and it started right up...

not sure I understand your instructions

Thanks Mark
Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaMtns View Post
My Segway works perfectly except for the fact I have to hold the info key down low at the center counsel to turn it on and off...

Thanks Mark
So, after the Segway starts, you can put the infokey in the holder, and everything works as usual - infokey knows speed, status (smiling/frowning), battery charge, etc.??? But will not turn the Segway off?

If so, and Regardless of your earlier statement about "fresh batteries" - I suggest buying some more batteries from a trusted source (and/or verifying the voltage of a replacement battery), and then replacing the infokey batteries one more time.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote