SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
cranecanoe
cranecanoe is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question P133 weight limits

I have a chance to purchase a HT P133 and an interesting issue came up. This would be my introduction to a Segway. My buddy weighs in at 240# and right away "offered" to borrow this unit. He is a friend who is hard to say no to. Question is, if I go through with this purchase and allow him to try it, will the weight issue do damage? Will the unit even work? My understanding is Segway specs are 200 lbs driver and 10 pounds luggage on this unit. Thanks for any thoughts.
cranecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hard to give advice on this kind of thing.

Speed limits on cars are set to 65 mph in most places in the US. Cars can go faster. Should they? It is not legal. Reaction time is less to a problem, and an accident that is survivable at 25mph may not be at 80mph. So what would be the answer? Can you exceed the speed limit? Yes. Should you? Most likely not.

The weight limits on the segway are suggestions from the mfg and they know best. But they do not know all.

Segways are pretty tough. If a 240 pound guy got on a segway, and it was in good shape, it will not stop moving, nor break, nor know that he is too heavy, and choose to not go.

But, 240 pounds takes more energy to move, and more energy to stop. Therefore range may be reduced, and braking time increased.

If you have a small crack in one of the plastic wheels, and weigh 190, and your friend weighs 240, and you hit a pothole, you may get by, but his extra weight may make an already existing problem slightly worse, but it will not be the cause of the problem.

Big guys fall down harder, generally speaking than smaller people, and since this segway will be over loaded, it may be slightly more likely that he will experience a fall.

In general, be more careful, and it is not an issue.

I am likely reading between the lines, but a person who is hard to say no to is generally also harder to train, because they are harder to say anything to. The friend who borrows stuff, and does not listen to the advise or warnings related to that stuff, is often the one who will have a problem, then bring back your broken segway and say it was the segway's fault, or your fault, when it was most likely not.

Still, more people on and loving segways is a good thing.

Have fun. glide more. smile more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
cranecanoe

5 yr Member
Red face Weight on Segway

Karl, Thank you for your thoughts. You actually are pretty close with the situation. I suspect my friend's wishes to try something new will happen once or twice. I just didn't know what to expect with this machine. And then again perhaps he will be so thrilled he will get his own. If and when it happens I will make sure he has protective gear on. Again, appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I ride my Segway 2ups (taking a passenger in front) sometimes, the total weight is over 300lbs, once traveling a distance of 10 miles with no ill effect
It's not recommended at all and controlling Segway's speed is not easy when gliding double, so don't try this at home

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

It is one of safety. A p133 has enough power to take a 100lb person up a very steep grade. A 250lb person will probably just get stick shake.

The bigger problem is going down hill, the p133 will have trouble keeping the rider upright if the weight too much.

As long as it's pretty flat ground I doubt your friend will have any issues. I weigh in at around 225 and use my p133 everywhere but I am a very experienced rider.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
cranecanoe

5 yr Member
Smile Weight Limits

Thanks for the advice. Gives me plenty of information.