SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
eucarmy
eucarmy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Given a Segway

I have had what I HOPE to be the good fortune of being given a Segway I2. From what I was told, this thing has super low mileage on it. If I have the story straight, it was a gift from a pro-QB to his lineman years ago. One of the lineman worked out with a trainer whom he gave it to since he didn't want it. Supposedly the trainer used it a couple times at best and it has sat in a garage ever since. The batteries are dead as dead can be, showing zero voltage across all pins. The other issue is the Infokey is missing although the person that gave it to me is going to look for it.

I am hoping to be able revive this thing but I'm not going to drop 2K into it to do so. I am hoping to snag some used, but decent battery packs somewhere. I also am trying to determine if this is an I2 or I2SE. I am uploading pictures I have to see if someone can help me figure it out as well as pics of my battery packs.

Well I guess I can't upload images until I get 5 posts.... darn.
eucarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Welcome to Segway Chat!

You can tell the age of your batteries from the serial number - The 5th and 6th numbers after the 'C' are the year they were manufactured. You may be able to determine if it's an I2 or an SE from the age of the batteries

DFW Seg sells rebuilt InfoKeys on eBay programmed to your machine for $135 with free shipping. This is quite a deal as used Keys frequently sell for $150 or so and then there's usually a $30 to $35 fee for programming them. New InfoKeys are $200 plus programming fee

Don

Last edited by Don M; 02-24-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Welcome to Segway Chat!

You can tell the age of your batteries from the serial number - The 5th and 6th numbers after the 'C' are the year they were manufactured. You may be able to determine if it's an I2 or an SE from the age of the batteries

DFW Seg sells rebuilt InfoKeys on eBay programmed to your machine for $135 with free shipping. This is quite a deal as used Keys frequently sell for $150 or so and then there's usually a $30 to $35 fee for programming them. New InfoKeys are $200 plus programming fee

Don
Thanks for the info Don, based on that the batteries have a 2011 manufacture date which I assume means it should be an SE? Once I get 5 posts I will upload the pics I have.

I am hoping to be able to find/use the original Infokey but it's good to know I have an option if I don't.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucarmy View Post
I have had what I HOPE to be the good fortune of being given a Segway I2. From what I was told, this thing has super low mileage on it. If I have the story straight, it was a gift from a pro-QB to his lineman years ago. One of the lineman worked out with a trainer whom he gave it to since he didn't want it. Supposedly the trainer used it a couple times at best and it has sat in a garage ever since. The batteries are dead as dead can be, showing zero voltage across all pins. The other issue is the Infokey is missing although the person that gave it to me is going to look for it.

I am hoping to be able revive this thing but I'm not going to drop 2K into it to do so. I am hoping to snag some used, but decent battery packs somewhere. I also am trying to determine if this is an I2 or I2SE. I am uploading pictures I have to see if someone can help me figure it out as well as pics of my battery packs.

Well I guess I can't upload images until I get 5 posts.... darn.
Hi and welcome! I'm also a recent acquiree so I feel your pain trying to get all the small stuff sorted out.

Now -- as for telling whether it's an i2 or i2 SE, here's the easiest way. Real simple -- the i2 has a "hump" on the base, where the i2 SE is a lot flatter. check these two images to see what I mean ...

i2 -
i2 SE -

Good luck with the unit - Don M has a great deal for a set of batteries, and to be honest, the ones you have may (or may not) be recoverable. We have some folks here at Segwaychat (MTO Battery in particular) who are experts with these things. If they're really just drained down and haven't been ridden much at all, I'm going to guess the likelihood is that they may be salvageable -- but Jason @ MTO Battery is your expert there.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Congrats eucarmy on the acquisition of your new to you Segway and welcome to the forum. Hoping you can quickly get the battery/infokey issues resolved.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Hi and welcome! I'm also a recent acquiree so I feel your pain trying to get all the small stuff sorted out.

Now -- as for telling whether it's an i2 or i2 SE, here's the easiest way. Real simple -- the i2 has a "hump" on the base, where the i2 SE is a lot flatter. check these two images to see what I mean ...

i2 -
i2 SE -

Good luck with the unit - Don M has a great deal for a set of batteries, and to be honest, the ones you have may (or may not) be recoverable. We have some folks here at Segwaychat (MTO Battery in particular) who are experts with these things. If they're really just drained down and haven't been ridden much at all, I'm going to guess the likelihood is that they may be salvageable -- but Jason @ MTO Battery is your expert there.
Ah ok thanks that picture confirms my unit is just an I2! Yea I measured voltage on the battery pins and read absolutely zero so I'm sure they are toast. I saw Don's post, I think that may be a good start.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
Congrats eucarmy on the acquisition of your new to you Segway and welcome to the forum. Hoping you can quickly get the battery/infokey issues resolved.
Thanks man, yep like I mentioned elsewhere, I am a Segway MiniPro and electric unicycle veteran so I am hopeful I can get this sucker working as it really is the grandfather of the newer stuff.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Ok hopefully NOW I can post the pics of my "free" Segway

Old 02-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Your batteries are original for sure - A perfectly matched set of 2011's, S/N 121 and 122

It looks like your machine is a 2014 - Nice catch! That would have sold for ~ $1500 or so even with no batteries or InfoKey

Vince (the guy from DFW Seg) is a great guy to do business with. He is repairing and reprogramming one of my spare InfoKeys right now. PM me if you need his phone number to call or text him

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Your batteries are original for sure - A perfectly matched set of 2011's, S/N 121 and 122

It looks like your machine is a 2014 - Nice catch! That would have sold for ~ $1500 or so even with no batteries or InfoKey

Vince (the guy from DFW Seg) is a great guy to do business with. He is repairing and reprogramming one of my spare InfoKeys right now. PM me if you need his phone number to call or text him

Don
Hmmm is it odd that a 2014 machine would have 2011 batteries? And were they still make i2's in 2014?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.