SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking Join the BOINC Team for Segway Enthusiasts

I have created a series of BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) teams for Segway Enthusiasts that particiapte in SETI@Home and other projects.

If you participate in any of the BOINC projects, think about moving over to our team. If you don't know what this is, then follow the home links and start participating - it's all for a good cause.

The team name in each of the following projects is called, "Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC", but each project has a different team ID, given below:

SETI@Home http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
Teamid = 124839
Team Stats: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=124839

Einstein@Home http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/
Teamid = 5748
Team stats: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_di...hp?teamid=5748

Rosetta@Home http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
Teamid = 2428
Team stats: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/te...hp?teamid=2428

LHC@Home http://lhcathome.cern.ch/
Teamid = 2134
Team stats: http://lhcathome.cern.ch/team_display.php?teamid=2134

After you join the project, then join our team by using the Teamid or searching for teams with Segway in the name.

If anyone is part of another project without a Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC team yet, Email me and I will set one up right away.

Now ... let's get to those work units!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

Smile Its a start

We have two people that have joined the Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC teams. Thanks to Jacky for joining the SETI@home team and to KonaSam for joining the Rosetta@home team for us. We thank you for the work units.

Here is a brief description of the four different projects that the Segway Enthusiast group BOINC teams are working on. Each of these screen saver programs has a really cool display to show you what it is doing.

SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

Einstein@Home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's.

LHC@home is a screen-saver program that uses your computer's idle time to simulate particles traveling in CERN's new accelerator. The Large Hadron Collider is a particle accelerator which is being built at the European Organization for Nuclear Research.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Stan,

I've attempted to join the Rosetta team but am unsure if it happened. Please let me know if you see me there!

Steven
Old 04-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Stan671

Yes, Steven, you have joined the Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC team for the Rosetta@home project. We now have three there. Thanks.

We've got plenty of room for more team members!!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
yosgof
yosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Stan,

How much CPU does the BOINC software use?
What provisions should be made to deploy it on a machine behind a firewall?
Are you absolutely sure there are no back doors that will open my machine and the whole network to abuse?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Used to walk, now I glide

Segway - Go Green with a Grin!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Stan671

The BOINC client runs at the lowest priority a process can run at, so it will always be preempted by other programs. The effect is that the BOINC client replaces the System Idle process on your computer.

There is no impact on the operation of the computer or the speed of other processes. However, since the BOINC client uses all UNUSED CPU time, your processor will run at 100% usage all of the time. This looks like the BOINC is preventing other stuff from running, but it is not.

The only thing you really need to worry about is if you have insufficent cooling in your computer. Since the CPU is running at 100% load at all times, it can generate quite a bit of heat.

I don't know the technical details, but the BOINC manager was cleared through my firewall to send out to the Internet without any problem. I have a bunch of machines at work running this with no problems. There are no ports opened for access from the outside. I have not heard of any issues with BOINC clients causing any security problems.

The Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC teams certainly appreciate any help, but please don't do anything that you are uncomfortable with.

BTW, they have Linux, Mac, and Solaris clients.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Default download problem

Stan, I'm trying to download and can't seem to do it. Have any ideas why?? I've reloaded and gone to the various mirrored servers, but I end up with one little green block in the download process area, and it never shows that I've downloaded more than the first little bit.

Later: Well, heck, I just had to click popups ok in order to get it to work.
Pam
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Stan671

Pam, I'm glad you are going to give it a try.

For the stats on the Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC team across all projects is available on the Knight Who Say Ni (KWSN) site: http://stats.kwsn.net/team.php?proj=all&teamid=54081

We have three members so far and hopefully, Pam will be another soon.

It is interesting to look at the screen saver display for the Rosetta project and watch as it tries to fold molecules and find the optimal configuration.

The Einstein project screen saver graphic is a rotating globe of the star patterns in the sky as the algorithm searches for the telltale signs of a pulsar.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Default Yeah, I'm in

If I can do my little bit for science, I'm happy. I was a member of seti at home for years. But I sorta got discombobulated when I changed to my new laptop, so I'm glad to go into a new direction.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Stan671

Excellent ... we have four people in the teams now.

Code:
                                                         Total
Name               Country                 Projects     Credit

Stanley Dobrowski  United States           SETI,         82000
                                           Rosetta,
                                           Einstein,
                                           LHC

KonaSam            United States           SETI,           432
                                           Rosetta 

Desert_Seg         United Arab Emirates    Rosetta         221

Pam                United States           Rosetta          56

OK, now let's some more volunteers!