SegwayChat
Home . Photos . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
dmurphy
Junior Member
dmurphy is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 56
Default Timer for charging?

Hi folks -

I've searched the forums a bunch trying to educate myself, and I see many references to using a clock timer for charging.

I get the theory behind it, and why it makes sense... but my question is; how long should I set it for?

I have a "new to me" 2015MY i2 SE (that just had its charging board replaced, in full disclosure.) Batts are 3 years old at this point and seem quite hearty - I'd like to keep them that way as long as possible.

Given that it's winter, cold and miserable here in New Jersey, I'm not riding much -- maybe a quick trip once every week or two right now, so the batteries are fully charged and not likely to discharge quickly anytime soon. But once springtime gets here, I expect to use it frequently.

So does anyone have a recommended "schedule" for a clock-timer? Right now I have it set for 12-hours on charge, 12-hours off charge. But I think 12 hours per day is probably excessive, especially given that it's fully charged right now.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
JohnMoeleker
New Member
JohnMoeleker is on a distinguished road
 
JohnMoeleker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 8
Default

2-hours a day will be enough, thatís what the dealer told me
JohnMoeleker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
Senior Member
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough
 
dale@thecoys.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lee's Summit, MO, USA
Posts: 1,200
5 yr Member
Default

2 hrs would probably be enough, but 12/12 is just fine. And mine happens to be set to turn it OFF for 6 hours at night. The important thing is to cycle it off and then on (which could be done just by using the Segway frequently).

When it starts charging, it first checks the status, then charges, and then goes into "maintenance" mode. So, if it never "starts" again, it never checks.

So, to "start" the charging, you have to ............ "stop" the charging some way.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Seginaway
Member
Seginaway will become famous soon enough
 
Seginaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Metropolis of Harleysville
Posts: 255
5 yr Member
Default Every six (6) or so hours . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Hi folks -

I've searched the forums a bunch trying to educate myself, and I see many references to using a clock timer for charging.

I get the theory behind it, and why it makes sense... but my question is; how long should I set it for?

I have a "new to me" 2015MY i2 SE (that just had its charging board replaced, in full disclosure.) Batts are 3 years old at this point and seem quite hearty - I'd like to keep them that way as long as possible.

Given that it's winter, cold and miserable here in New Jersey, I'm not riding much -- maybe a quick trip once every week or two right now, so the batteries are fully charged and not likely to discharge quickly anytime soon. But once springtime gets here, I expect to use it frequently.

So does anyone have a recommended "schedule" for a clock-timer? Right now I have it set for 12-hours on charge, 12-hours off charge. But I think 12 hours per day is probably excessive, especially given that it's fully charged right now.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
My schedule is about every four to six hours on, then off for same. Recommendations from MTO are that the batteries are charged best if they are "cycled" on/off over a period of time. Re-starting the charge cycle has benefits. I have the infamous "Red Light / Green Light" gremlin and its better for the system to restart the charge cycle every now and then rather than a long period that basically (may) leave the batteries at full charge with Green blinking lights.

I commute with Trigger so my charge cycle is ON early AM, mid afternoon and early evening. Off at other times.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
dmurphy
Junior Member
dmurphy is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
2 hrs would probably be enough, but 12/12 is just fine. And mine happens to be set to turn it OFF for 6 hours at night. The important thing is to cycle it off and then on (which could be done just by using the Segway frequently).

When it starts charging, it first checks the status, then charges, and then goes into "maintenance" mode. So, if it never "starts" again, it never checks.

So, to "start" the charging, you have to ............ "stop" the charging some way.
Thanks everyone! I totally get the ďwhy to resetĒ mode. But Iím having an interesting case ... it seems fairly rare that I get to the ďgreen n blinkingĒ stage. The only time I see it is after I ride and drain the batteries some it charges for a bit and then goes to blinking maintenance mode. If I start a charge while full, the lights go solid green and stay solid green. Bizarre. Hopefully once the weather improves I can diagnose this a bit better. Thinking this may be weather related too; the Segway is stored in my garage where itís about 45 degrees. Contemplating pulling the batts and bringing them indoors, or am I over analyzing this?
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
dmurphy
Junior Member
dmurphy is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 56
Default

Apologies for asking so many questions - Iím trying to learn all I can as quickly as I can. I pulled the batteries for indoor storage today and found some stickers on them from the dealership (while it was getting the charger replaced.)

Batt 1 has a sticker than says 4.56, and Batt 2 says 4.78.

Iím guessing those may be the available watt/hours on each battery after a load test? If so - is that considered healthy or fairly along the way to depletion?

Each battery is fully charged at 77V, so that seems good.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Don M
Member
Don M is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ocean Springs MS
Posts: 216
Default

We have two I2's which we've owned now for 2 years plus. I keep them indoors all the time. I plug them in one at a time, once a month and it takes between 30 and 45 minutes for both batteries to start blinking green

In my opinion, one hour every week would be a very conservative schedule - Anything more isn't really needed, IMO . . . . despite what many people say

I also have 3 spare batteries that I've been 'experimenting' with. They are stored indoors, not on a machine and I check their voltages from time to time - They never change. I used to put them on a machine every 3 or 4 months to charge, but the recharge took only minutes, so I cut that back to every 6 or 8 months with the same result. I do check the voltages more often, just to make sure. Batteries not on a machine discharge VERY slowly

As always, go with whatever makes you comfortable - The above is just my personal experience

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
dale@thecoys.net
Senior Member
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough
 
dale@thecoys.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lee's Summit, MO, USA
Posts: 1,200
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
In my opinion, one hour every week would be a very conservative schedule - Anything more isn't really needed, IMO . . . . despite what many people say
Don
That's true. It's just more convenient for some folks to leave it plugged in, using a timer. If I had a timer that would turn on for an hour every week, I would probably do that.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
dmurphy
Junior Member
dmurphy is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I also have 3 spare batteries that I've been 'experimenting' with. They are stored indoors, not on a machine and I check their voltages from time to time - They never change. I used to put them on a machine every 3 or 4 months to charge, but the recharge took only minutes, so I cut that back to every 6 or 8 months with the same result. I do check the voltages more often, just to make sure. Batteries not on a machine discharge VERY slowly
I've taken the batteries off my Segway and stored them inside the home for the winter. The i2 is living in the garage but I didn't want to leave the batteries out there. Sounds like - if I plug it in once in the middle of the winter, that should be plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
That's true. It's just more convenient for some folks to leave it plugged in, using a timer. If I had a timer that would turn on for an hour every week, I would probably do that.
This'll be my plan for the not-winter seasons, when the i2 stays intact in the garage. I'll leave it on a timer. I have a spare timer I used to use for my pool pump; if I remember that has a 7-day clock on it so I might just be able to do what you suggest.

Looks like it'll be mid-60s temperature on Thursday this week so I may just get out on my first "official" glide. We'll see!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Civicsman
Senior Member
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Freedonia!
Posts: 1,648
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
...so the batteries are fully charged and not likely to discharge quickly anytime soon.
Keep in mind that the rear battery powers the radio board, and the radio board is on all the time. The rear battery will discharge and eventually will fall below the minimum voltage, at which point the Seg won't charge it any more. So either staying plugged in full time (as Segway used to recommend) or putting on timer (as I think they recommend now) must be done. If you dismount the batteries, they will hold a charge for a long time, but must still be checked/charged occasionally, as lithium ion batteries will self-discharge over time.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.
Copyright © 2002-2017 SegwayChat.org.
All rights reserved. Not affiliated with Segway Inc.

FreshBlue vBulletin skin by
VayaDesign
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SegwayChat Archive