SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

You might test fitting the assembled setup into a car.
I suggest making the seat quickly detachable.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:30 AM   #12
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

John
Thanks for your suggestion, I have not posted anything in Draft, I did not know they had a forum.
Are you John H-- in Draft's members stories in Torrance? I also live in Torrance and own a Segway, don't see too many around here.
Was trying to get a hold of you to get your opinion. I see you have a damaged sciatic nerve. Can someone like you benefit from a seat? I'm getting knocked around by some members about a seat, which I welcome, need to know everyone's opinion about this, because I do not know what the market is.
My son has an artificial knee and has to use it occasionally when he goes to a theme park with friends or stroll around the beach. Kind of embarrassed to use it around school because of stares that one gets using it.
Can someone like you use a seat?
Please email me also: maran747@hotmail.com

maran747
maran747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
billc
billc

5 yr Member

My 2C ...
Not so much the seat that's an issue but mounting and dismounting (as already suggested).
Benefits for some may be there though.
Few are limited by their ability to stand and the Segway can have a dramatic effect on those with balance and balancing fatigue issues (and therefore getting on and off is a problem).

I think the "seat" can be a nice "add-on" but I'm thinking that the same person who may get this would likely be the same one who struggles to mopunt, dismount

There are certainly opther options too for the "more" disabled via the iBot

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Billc
Thanks, for the input.
Lets just say there will be no difficulty getting on and off with my seat. I will reveal a photo and open my website public before the New Hampshire SegwayFest on July 8.
www.segseat.com
I plan on going to the New Hampshire SegwayFest and hope I do not get slam dunked over there. Hope everyone, specially Segway will welcome me. If not I will understand the issues.
From the standpoint of Segway, all I know is that it will only help their sales not hurt it. I am not a competitor. Anyone who buys my seat has to have a Segway. Also there are many out there who cannot use a Segway because of the fact of its lack of a seat, including their family members who will just buy a 2nd Segway to ride along with them with or without a seat.
I just hope that Segway is open minded enough to see the benefits versus closing up, stressing their agreement with J&J, or something.

Anymore comments out there? Please bring it on even if negative, need to see other viewpoints. Thank you.

maran747
Old 05-26-2005, 01:39 AM   #15
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maran747

Billc

I just hope that Segway is open minded enough to see the benefits versus closing up, stressing their agreement with J&J, or something.

maran747
Look forward to July, BUT I fear you may have hit the nail on the head (above)

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 AM   #16
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

billc
I have called most California Segway dealers and they all have had requests for a seat and are very much interested in what mine looks like. There definitely is a need for a seat, disabled or not. If Segway is smart they will leave me alone and allow their retailers to sell my seat as a 3rd party after market vendor, and tap into another market I know Segway is very well aware of. They just do not want to admit it because of the deal with J&J, and I am sure their brilliant engineers could have put out a seat by now fancier than mine if they could have.
The Segway is one of the most incredible products we've all come across and has so much more potential than how it is presently being marketed. There are so many more people who can be helped greatly by a Segway with a seat.
In DRAFT, a member mentioned "the Segway saved his life," and he doesnt need a seat. Just think of ones who will be able to get around because of a seat. These people are not disabled enough to use a wheelchair. It will be almost criminal to not give these people this alternative just because of a contractual agreement of 2 big companies.
I hope J&J and Segway will see this seat will not be competing with a $29,000 unit, and stand aside and allow the Segway to be used to all of its full potential.

maran747
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:It will be almost criminal to not give these people this alternative just because of a contractual agreement of 2 big companies.
Maran, if you looked at the possibility of losing your company, I think that you'd be very protective. I don't fault LLC in their position. (And it's not a "big company" - it's a small one. Give it some time, it'll be big someday, but not at this time.)

That said, others have produced 3rd party seats (Wayne and Leonard are two I can think of, there may be more) and there has been no problem with LLC on that. I'd say, go ahead with what you're doing.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #18
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Pam
Thanks for your reply and support.
LLC might not be a big company but it has a lot more money than me.
I've seen Leonard's seat, havent seen Wayne's. Do you know where I can see his seat?
One thing about them is they are not pushing it out in the market as a 3rd party after market accessory.
But I would not be suprised if LLC does come at me and not give any support. It would be great if they do not and allow the Segway to grow the way it should, it has so much more potential than being used by healthy able bodied people.
But, LLC again should look at the potential market of additional family members who might buy a 2nd Segway just so they can ride along with the one who bought it because of a seat. There are so many ways to spread the use of this remarkable machine, and get the general public to accept it more like a bicycle instead of a threatening, rich lazy man's machine.

maran747
Old 05-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #19
JaredHT
JaredHT will become famous soon enoughJaredHT will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:They just do not want to admit it because of the deal with J&J, and I am sure their brilliant engineers could have put out a seat by now fancier than mine if they could have.
While I think a seat might be a fine addition for some it would require the user to understand that they are not riding the HT as intended and therefore may pose some degree of risk to themselves and others.

It's a safe assumption that LLC has considered seats for the HT, and while I'm no engineer, I'm sure they had a reason for excluding them thus-far. Also, I can't see that adding a seat would affect the J&J/iBot agreement...apples & oranges.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)
JaredHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #20
legpain
legpain

5 yr Member

Hey Maran747,

Let's put this in perspective, what I heard Doug Field say at Segfest Sac was that they welcome third party developers. I’m hoping that other attendees at the fest remember this for corroboration. You will have NO problems with Segway; they aren’t going to insure you. That’s your problem. I can’t use a seat but would love to come over and check it out and review it for this chat board. E-mail me at hainey@speakeasy.net

John
legpain is offline   Reply With Quote