SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member
Default Segway seat

I have a seat design for the Segway that will allow one to stand up or sit down without getting off - Safely. The sensors would be pressed and activated (replacing the feet of the rider) when the rider sits down.
I am contemplating in going into production and market with the seat but am not sure if there would be a return on the investment that would take to go on with this project. I have tweeked my design with a design and engineering firm that gives it a very professional look which is parallel to the contours and lines of the Segway. It will look like it came from Segway, so it is not just a bunch of cut up and welded aluminum.
A disabled person sitting down versus standing on a Segway would have less problems from security guards going into any building, mall or store. Coupled with a disabled placard in front of the handlebar, it help fend off anyone who might not welcome people on Segways.
Segway has never released any sales figures, I am thinking only about 15,000-20,000. Anyone out there have any guess what the market would be for a well designed seat for the Segway?
Also, can people with MS using Segways benefit in sitting down on a Segway versus standing?

maran747
maran747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
FusionMag
FusionMag

5 yr Member

I dont think it would fly... I mean it may seem like a good idea but wouldnt that affect the forward or backward control of machine? All you would need is some sort of canopy and maybe some lights and for saftey sake additional wheels... wait - thats a car. Plus the safety commissions would have a hayday with that.

my $.02
FusionMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

To: FusionMag
Thanks for your brilliant analysis. But my seat will be sliding back and forth to adjust the weight. I've made 3 prototypes and the design works just fine. It is not for everyone, there some potential riders out there who cannot spend long periods standing and cannot buy or use a Segway because the absence of a seat option.
Again, the design allows the rider to get on standing up first and sit down or get up anytime during the ride.

maran747
Old 05-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
FusionMag
FusionMag

5 yr Member

As a dealer I probably wouldn't sell it or recommend it. I mean... I dont want to be held liable. Plus that would make it that much more difficult to promote the segway and get them legalized everywhere.

You would have to think of the security of the rider. I know that LLC had a tough time at the very beginning (and still do at times) promoting the personal safety of every rider.

I just cant see safety with a seat.

Anyone else wanna chime in??
FusionMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Leonard Timm (a double amputee) uses a platform and has no problems whatsoever. While his current platform was custom made by a fellow segger it is not for everyone and I believe that the manufacturer does not sell it to just anyone for legal liability issues. Unplanned dismounts, otherwise known as falls can range from something to laugh about to a serious injury or worse. For the right person the Seg is a miracle, for the wrong one it could be a serious injury waiting to happen. A sliding seat sounds to me to be another variable that could cause more trouble than it solves.

Fred
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Am I the only one that wants to give this a shot?

I am not a great fan of having a seat, but for every need there is a solution. I am not ready to discount this possible solution without even investigating it.

I had mentioned the sliding seat to Maran without knowing he had posted about it here.

Either way, I believe there are all sorts of variations that have merit. Go to it Maran!

You should post some photo's of your seat. It would give us all a better idea of what you are talking about.

I know that a seat is not for everyone, but that doesn't mean it is not for anyone.

We should mellow out a bit, and be open to new ideas or variations on a theme.

Maran, don't let anyone squash your enthusiasm. Expect resistance, some of it is justified, but keep pulling for your ideas...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Mr. Protocol
Mr. Protocol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It doesn't sound intrinsically unsafe to me. Surely it's not for everyone, but even those of us with healthy legs know what it's like to walk after a really long glide - you feel it.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm. Center of gravity would be greatly lowered, so the shift forward and back to accelerate and decelerate would have to be correspondingly greater. Braking time would be larger: much harder to perform a violent backward lunge to stop suddenly (we've all done that). But it still might be possible with practice.

The Centaur has a seat.

Yeah, why not?
Mr. Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

With the new extended range batteries, a seat will be a good seller.

A sit-down Segway is easy to operate. No need for a sliding seat. Just lean foward. I've tried it.
A quick release parking stand would be helpfull in a safety shutdown situation.
Sitting low, causes lower visibility is the only downside.

(make the seat the same height as a wheelchair so the passenger can slide onto the Segway easily)

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Thanks, Ksagal
Cant put up photos right now, due to intellectual property situation. But my website will be when I put it up in around late June to early July will be
www.segseat.com
This seat will look like it came from Segway. It is totally different from Leonard Timm's platform.
Just collecting opinions, thanks for all you feedback, see you in June-July.

maran747
Old 05-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
legpain
legpain

5 yr Member

Maran, please post this over on DRAFT.CC There are a lot of people over there that would be interested in this. Disregard if you have!

John
legpain is offline   Reply With Quote