SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #71
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the scooter I rented was the "normal" sit down type. It felt so cumbersome compared to my Seg. When in tight spaces (pretty much the whole day!) I was constantly worried about where the corners were and running over people's toes.

Admittedly, I enjoyed being able to sit since it was an all day excursion but still would preferred to have my Segway!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #72
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
I wonder how many folks came up to you and asked if they could try that scooter? Did it engender a large amount of curiosity and friendly questions about how it works, like still happens every time I go out on my segway?

I stand by my theory that if you glide around on your segway, many many more will want to do the same, and these are folks that would never sit in a wheel chair or a rascal type scooter... These are the folks on every bench, drinking another over priced cool down drink that is sold at an expensive and very profitable margin...
I can imagine this expanding and little Segway rental booths popping up right down the street from the park.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #73
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I can imagine this expanding and little Segway rental booths popping up right down the street from the park.
I don't know if you are serious or not, but if they are allowed, I can surely see it happening...

This is because a segway can indeed make it easier to get from point a to point b than walking for a large portion of the population...

While kids may like the idea of a segway, I believe that there are large amounts of kids who attend Disney with parents or grandparents... They attend a certain number of riders per person, and move thru the park at a certain rate. I am sure the Disney people know how many average miles or average distance traveled within the park each individual makes...

If you introduce segways, a convenient conveyance without a stigma, you will increase the distance, and reduce the fatigue that the older patrons experience. The kids will want to go faster and see more anyway.

The result would be less profit to Disney. They would sell less cold drinks, they would run their attractions more times per visitor. The adults would be less tired, and use the excuse of the shops to hide and rest less. End result would be a happier and more efficient patron population, and a less profitable corporation...

This is all conjecture on my part, but that does not do much to make me think I am wrong. I have invented in my mind many answers to many questions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #74
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I see exactly what you mean but isn't that already sort of proven false due to the fact they already rent out power scooters? Also if you think there is no stigma to segways you might be deluding yourself. It's not the same stigma as a wheelchair, but it is there.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #75
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default I trasspass do you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have often wondered what would happen at one of these theme parks or other large places that require people who use a segway for mobility purposes to instead rent one of their scooters...

I still think it is against the law to require a person to give up their mobility device, just to be forced to rent one that belongs to the facility.

My thinking is this... If you own a segway, and use it for mobility, you are likely to know how to use it, and what you can do (like curbs or grates) and what you can't...

Now, you get to a facility, and they force you to give up the familiar, in order to rent one of their unfamiliar ones. You will not be as good at using the unfamiliar, you cannot know its clearance, its ability to climb small curbs and the like.

What if you were to offer to run an obstacle course, and prove that you are proficient on your segway. If they let you do it, fine, if not, do it yourself by showing your skills before they make you dismount...

Then, when they put you onto a scooter of their choice, simply ram it backwards into their parked scooters. Run over the foot of the rental agent. Ram the door frame over and over on your way out of the corral. Continue to hit things and show just how unfamiliar you are with their device. Make them afraid to be near you, and continue to remind them that the wake of bodies will only happen if you are forced to use this 'unfamiliar' machine...

Of course, I do not suggest doing this in a manner where anyone could get hurt, including and especially the clerk that is running the scooter kiosk, as he is just an employee, not a decision maker. Do not play this game in public, just for the enjoyment? of the park staff...

But also make it obvious that their chosen policy is going to be a problem for them, as much as you...

I know I am looking at this very much from a perspective of a person who does not depend on a mobility device, so if you feel I am out of line to suggest something like this, say so. I do not intend to offend, just offer this up for consideration, and want to hear what people feel.

There are times where someone has to choose to be the squeaky wheel...
Of course you do. I push the envelope and never lick it, keep you focus on the manager. That was a incomplete sentance. If your wheel squeaks you got issues.

If the theam is the park then I will have to set aside the next comment. Are you ready for that. Did the rollie coaster scare you? did the glider touch you? Oh po'you.

If they have to watch you and the loop da loop where would you be. Face planted and happy or calling your mama.

~buy the way where is my 100.00 amazon coupon for buying this bain of my life.

Crash
Haveanicedaybecauseisaidso.

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 07-17-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Every day is a good day above the dirt.
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #76
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Angry Im a hater

Quote:
I see exactly what you mean but isn't that already sort of proven false due to the fact they already rent out power scooters? Also if you think there is no stigma to segways you might be deluding yourself. It's not the same stigma as a wheelchair, but it is there.
Lose the animation, Chicken.
Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 07-17-2009 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Ramp that wheel up there~ ya there. have a nice walk.
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #77
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:

I know for a fact that there is no stigma to riding my segway, for me... I will not speak to how you feel.

This is the point... If you see a person in an electric wheel chair, how often to people ask if they can try... (any person, able bodied or not)

If you see a person on a segway, how often do they get asked? Quite often actually...

There is nothing proven with the rascal kind of scooters, as they are already a fairly known property, and most do not envy the riders...

A segway in a crowd would appeal to far more folks than a wheelchair, or an obvious power chair or obvious handicapped scooter...

I feel there are a large number of tired people who would never consider a mobility scooter or wheel chair, but would feel better on the same item they say the mall cop on...

To me, this consideration is not proven at all, but I am guessing to Disney, it is... It is too much risk to their bottom dollar.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote