SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledebuhr1 View Post
If Segways were mass produced by the thousands each day(produced in China), and available in retail outlets. Would the cost be low enough to open them up to more americans that cant afford the current Segway because of cost?
Yes, clearly. But "more" doesn't necessarily mean "enough more to absorb that higher production".

The odds of making it economically viable increase if you increase the total market size -- perhaps selling a significant number in China.

In fact, I would say that selling a significant number in China would have a far larger impact than manufacturing in China. Then you can justify the investment in the sort of manufacturing automation that can bring down per-unit cost and improve (not just maintain) quality. As well as cost-related re-engineering, better deals with suppliers, etc.

My sense is that labor costs are not a major part of the equation -- it just doesn't require that much manual effort to assemble a Segway, or to produce its components.

But a better deal with the battery supplier? That could lead to a significant cost reduction. Plus advances in battery tech: Maybe either a more capable NiMH, or a Li-Ion with newer technology that needs only half the battery for the same capability.

Because the cost of the batteries is probably the single biggest factor. I bet they cost Inc more per unit than any other component. Maybe the circuit boards -- if so, that would be a prime target for cost reduction as well.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I agree that labor costs are not a major factor in assembling a segway...

Anyone who has been to the factory will know that it is a very modular unit, assembled very quickly... They have simple, designed in factors that make it even easier. (Like shaped holes so the motor can only slide into the base one way, and cannot be installed reverse)

There were even promotions in the past where people were invited in to build their own segways, on the line itself. I believe start to finish, with novice builders, still only took 20 minutes, and that was with each step being explained.

I cannot speak to the labor involved in making the components. I suspect that the transmissions, with all those gears, likely take more time to make than to install on the segway. But, of course, components can already be made anyplace, and then shipped in. Because of this, I do not know where any particular component is produced.

I suspect that some of the sheet metal, and other parts are already comming from China, as well as some of the cast metal parts. I do not recall a foundry at the factory in Bedford. (Of course, I may be wrong).

I do not believe that all segway's problems are going to be corrected simply by offering a cheaper model. That will increase sales somewhat, but it will not change the attitude of the general public... Nor will the thousands of less committed, $1000 segway owners be doing the segway community much benifit when they start hitting the streets, making up rules as they go long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I know that the infokey and batteries are made in china!

If you take the clip off the back it will say so. It also says so on the batteries if you remove them.

I suspect most of the parts already are made in china, just "assembled" here.
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Bill Seright
Account Suspended
Bill Seright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledebuhr1 View Post
If Segways were mass produced by the thousands each day(produced in China), and available in retail outlets. Would the cost be low enough to open them up to more americans that cant afford the current Segway because of cost?
But if that were the case would Segway Inc be opening themselves up for liability for accidents caused by riders who had no training at all but just grabbed one off the shelf?

Bill Seright
Bill Seright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #25
ledebuhr1
ledebuhr1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Bill,
is liability really an issue? What about a bike manufacture that sells bikes at Walmart. If someone bus a bike and falls off can they sue the manufacture? not likly Or the gun manufacture that is sued because someone used the gun to kill someone.

There are other retalilers that sell two wheel electric scooters, non self-balancing, and have not a problem.
I think a DVD for training, and personal responsibility would be all that they would need.
ledebuhr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #26
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

As one door closes, another opens. LLC needs to jump on marketing their machines as mobility aids, ASAP!

oh wait. Marketing.

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
bgrh@mac.com
bgrh@mac.com is on a distinguished road

Default Segway patents not filed in Japan

The reason Toyota is doing what it is, is that DEKA didn't file it's patents soon enough in Japan - so the Segway patents are not valid there. However, Toyota can't take their machine out of Japan. Also, there is a huge push in Japan to develop robotics for elder care - clearly what this video shows.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
bgrh@mac.com
bgrh@mac.com is on a distinguished road

So, what's your best guess at the price that causes the Segway to leap off the shelves? When I go to the bike store there are machines from $350 to $5,000 plus.

I have no idea what the "Magic Number" is. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrh@mac.com View Post
So, what's your best guess at the price that causes the Segway to leap off the shelves? When I go to the bike store there are machines from $350 to $5,000 plus.

I have no idea what the "Magic Number" is. Thoughts?
Unfortunately, there are no "magic numbers". Just price/demand curves -- as well as other variables.

I think the difference between $5000 and $3000 is huge. But so is cutting that much out of the price, probably more so.

I think you just go for what you can get. I think demand rises fairly steeply with price reduction, but I wouldn't even try to put a number on it. But hopefully the folks at Inc HAVE done their homework on the matter.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
Bill Seright
Account Suspended
Bill Seright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

With those tiny wheels I can't see this device being good for anything but use inside buildings. You can't ride them outside because even the tiniest bump or pothole is going to either knock someone off it, or cause the wheels to catch throwing the rider into a face plant.

Bill Seright
Bill Seright is offline   Reply With Quote