SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsegs View Post
The i bot has set many companies and people in motion but yes it was before its time and a very small market.....
There are quite a few out there that can decend steps and curbs but not many that can climb like the ibot did.
Even the segway has competitors but not all in prodution yet.

Here is the latest from toyota, cross segway wheelchair if you have not seen it.

That's great! I hadn't seen this functionality yet. It reminds me of off-road mode on the ibot, except side-to-side instead of front-to-back.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
ledebuhr1
ledebuhr1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I thought the patents were written so that no one else can sell a self-balancing scooter in the US.
ledebuhr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
How many iBot's is a team allowed to have on the field at one time?

with keys
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledebuhr1 View Post
I thought the patents were written so that no one else can sell a self-balancing scooter in the US.
You mean, "without a license". It would be in Segway, Inc's interest to license the technology to a serious company, if it didn't conflict with their strategy (say, by undermining their safety image), and it can be expected to bring in revenue the wouldn't otherwise have gotten. They can also benefit by cross-licensing agreements, giving them access to improvements by the other company.

I'm not saying I expect that to happen. But it's an important distinction -- patents don't prevent others from making products that use your patent. That would markedly reduce the potential value of a lot of patents. They give you the option of negotiating licensing terms with anyone you wish (or nobody, if that's your choice), or selling the patent itself.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
ledebuhr1

5 yr Member

Bob kerns,
Do you think that a company would like to build a cheaper version of the Segway and then license it through Inc? maybe something available at more retail stores. This way Inc would be making money both ways.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Bill Seright
Account Suspended
Bill Seright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default What now?

If the iBot is not going to be made and sold anymore does that change how the Segway itself can be marketed and that then maybe they can start to be marketed as a mobility assistance device so that idiot lawsuits about using wheelchairs might stop?

Bill Seright
Bill Seright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #17
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledebuhr1 View Post
Bob kerns,
Do you think that a company would like to build a cheaper version of the Segway and then license it through Inc? maybe something available at more retail stores. This way Inc would be making money both ways.
Possible, but rather unlikely in this case.

There are lots of examples of this sort of arrangement, but in this case, one of Segway, Inc's big worries is acceptance. If the new model has safety or quality issues, it could reflect poorly on the entire category.

If the company were, say, Toyota, that might not be such a major concern, and the risk would possibly be justifiable.

However, the other factor that I think would nix the deal, is that it would likely be perceived as cannibalizing the sale of true Segways.

But conceivably, they could come with an agreement that would be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as easing the barriers to buyers, and which would lead buyers to eventually trade up. In other words, an entry-level model would expand the overall market, and drive increased sales of higher-end models downstream.

It's possible, and it can even work (and has for countless products, including automobiles and "starter homes"). But it's risky. It depends on successfully converting buyers of entry-level products into buyers of higher-level products, and that depends on their perception of why they're dissatisfied with the lower-end product! You want them to be glad they bought the lower-end product -- but eager to move up to the higher end product for even better reward.

Should they do it? Yes, if the right opportunity comes along. But the low-end manufacturer has to find a way to make money where Segway has not, perhaps taking advantage of something unavailable to Segway, Inc, such as low labor costs or a highly-automated production facility with expenses shared across another volume product, such as automobiles. Assuming there ARE any such proposals, they'd have to identify that it is a good bet -- and then be willing to bet the future of the company on it.

(Another thing Toyota has that Segway does not is great brand recognition, reputation for quality, and instant respect. Segway has actually done a pretty good job of building their reputation for a small company, but Toyota has had decades more opportunity, with a larger scale product).

I won't say it couldn't happen. It just seems that there are too many things stacked against it, making the overall likelihood quite low.

It's not a crazy idea -- just a very difficult one.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Madsegs
Madsegs will become famous soon enoughMadsegs will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Jackie Chan (china importer of segways) already offered this. Produce them in China and retail for half the current price but inc. turned him down.......

Don´t you just love segs, i´m always riding mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Madsegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
bgrh@mac.com
bgrh@mac.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Segway patents are held by DEKA

The patents are actually held by DEKA - not J&J. With the demise of the iBot the right to medical uses of the Segway patents reverts to DEKA. If there is anyone else out there who wants to try, they can negotiate with Dean, but, estimates are that J&J spent $250 million on the iBot and sold less than 1,000 units. I don't imagine the line will be long...

Maybe the Obama VA will take a look at what Segs4Vets is doing and realize the Segway is a good thing.

As for cheap manufacturing in China - the current Segway is pretty damn modular - labor is not the issue. My guess is the key to a cheaper Segway is selling enough so that the allocated overhead can drop. Also, look at the Sam's Club pricing - $3,999 for a white i2. What's the real cost to Segway to build one, i.e. time and materials? Any guesses out there? I've seen people tear apart an iPhone and cost it to the dime - any one know how to do that for a Segway?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
ledebuhr1

5 yr Member

If Segways were mass produced by the thousands each day(produced in China), and available in retail outlets. Would the cost be low enough to open them up to more americans that cant afford the current Segway because of cost?