SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #51
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Here's another one: Can an airplane be an ambulance? Maybe they shouldn't be given landing priority since they weren't designed as ambulances or medical devices.

(Maybe you can tell from the tone of the above that I have been reading your thread over on the Disney site.)

That thread was an amazing look into other peoples thought process.
Good people, bad reasoning.

Or even worse they believe whatever "The Mouse" tells them.

All the best,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #52
mwnaido
mwnaido

5 yr Member

I have MS and have used my segway for the past 1.5 years. I can no longer walk unaided or distances. My segway is a lifesaver especially when I need to watch my kids play soccer. The fields are 100 yards away but no problem with my segway. I too get tired after a while but this should get easier the more you work at it. I have also seen a seat advertised in the MS Society magazine called the segseat, www.segseat.com. I can't say enough good things about the segway. It has opened up my world. Good luck!!!
mwnaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #53
Jon
Jon

5 yr Member
Smile Thank you!

My sincere thanks to all of you for keeping this thread alive!

By way of follow up, Suzan acquired a red i180, to which I successfully installed a SegSeat. This seems to make an excellent combination for a person for whom fatigue (secondary to MS in Suzan's case) is an issue. Suzan's service-dog-to-be is being trained both at walking with her when using a conventional three-wheeled scooter, and alternatively, when Suzan is using her Segway. Needless to say, the Suzan-Segway-Logan (her future service dog) combination tends to attract attention! Fortunately, the attention is generally favorable.

-= Jon =-
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #54
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segways are truly liberating

While not having MS, my symtoms are very similar--weak legs, artificial joints, and bad balance as a result of five years of physical abuse as a POW.

While Mayor I participated in the planning and coordination of the Discovery Trail which runs along the coastline of the Long Beach Peninsula in Washington State at the west end of the Lewis & Clark Trail. Four years of work building the trail and numerous cerimonies which I did not attend; my pride would not permit me to use a wheel chair.

Today, day six of Segway ownership, I glided along the Discovery Trail to the bronze tree marking the northern and westernmost point of the Corps of Discovery's trek. It was a real Lewis & Clark day: blustery drizzle, shades of gray with a churning ocean and forty degrees. The glide was in silent solitude, a truly incredible, liberating experience made possible by Segway. The machine is restorative to the spirit.

And as I glided past a group of nasty looking, unruly teens in downtown Long Beach, a young female with remarkably strange colored hair and confusing clothing shouted, "Hey, way cool!"

I promptly fell in love....

"Merry Christmas every one!"
Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #55
Nelda
Nelda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My husband and I also took a nature trail today. Gloves, layers, jacket, Elf Hat, and we were good to go. Fog was hanging heavy next to Vancouver Lake and the ducks and birds were abundant. A 6 mile trek that I can now enjoy because the joy of being able to float without the fight of trying to make muscles work that no longer will, no matter how you 'wish' it.
There is nothing better than a glide in the forest or meadow to lift my spirits to the treetops along with the eagles that I can see.
Nelda
Vancouver, Washington

Last edited by Nelda; 12-21-2006 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: left out location
Nelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #56
Tarsnake
Tarsnake is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Suz.....I'm starting a list of places to see on my new wheels, and the Discovery Trail is at the top!
Do you have a link for more info?

tarsnake
Tarsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #57
culs
culs is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default NW passage by Segway

Awesome to read of your adventures in the NW. I hale from deep territorial stock, my great grandfather explored the Idaho/Canadian border in 1891 and I would so much like to glide my Segway nearby his route. North of Macdonald Lake, Bowman Creek, west of St Mary's Creek. But I digress, congrats for your trail work and Segway adventures!
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
While not having MS, my symtoms are very similar--weak legs, artificial joints, and bad balance as a result of five years of physical abuse as a POW.

While Mayor I participated in the planning and coordination of the Discovery Trail which runs along the coastline of the Long Beach Peninsula in Washington State at the west end of the Lewis & Clark Trail. Four years of work building the trail and numerous cerimonies which I did not attend; my pride would not permit me to use a wheel chair.

Today, day six of Segway ownership, I glided along the Discovery Trail to the bronze tree marking the northern and westernmost point of the Corps of Discovery's trek. It was a real Lewis & Clark day: blustery drizzle, shades of gray with a churning ocean and forty degrees. The glide was in silent solitude, a truly incredible, liberating experience made possible by Segway. The machine is restorative to the spirit.

And as I glided past a group of nasty looking, unruly teens in downtown Long Beach, a young female with remarkably strange colored hair and confusing clothing shouted, "Hey, way cool!"

I promptly fell in love....

"Merry Christmas every one!"
culs is offline   Reply With Quote