SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Riding in snow

I've had my I2 with standard tires for about a year now but didn't try riding in the snow last winter.

How likely am I to bust my bippy if I try it this winter? (not expecting to be able to ride in deep snow, but maybe an inch or so?)

Any advice welcome.

Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It depends of the type of snow and the underlying conditions.

Light, fluffy (dry) snow should be fine.

Heavy, sticky (wet) snow is probably OK as long as it isn't too deep or dense.

Ice underneath the snow (regardless of the type of snow) is a bad thing.

You will be surprised at how well it performs provided you maintain traction.

Bundle-up and wear a helmet. Make sure someone else is around in case you take a spill.

Also, avoid quick actions (starts, stops, turns) - take it easy and you should have fun.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
I've had my I2 with standard tires for about a year now but didn't try riding in the snow last winter.

How likely am I to bust my bippy if I try it this winter? (not expecting to be able to ride in deep snow, but maybe an inch or so?)

Any advice welcome.

Bud
Yeah, I live in Florida, but I came from Chicago, and I remember snow, along with the hidden patches of ice under the snow here and there. x2's with their knobby tread would seem to fare better than your i2 in loose-packed snow.

You might get a away with fooling around in your yard, but I'd be very reluctant to brave such elements if I were seriously trying to get somewhere, like commuting to work.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A light coating over grass is the best place to practice.

As stated anything that has ice below or on top is basically like ice skating. You won't be upright long!

1-2 inch thick snow that packs is best because it forms around the tires.

You will fall over!

Here is what riding in good snow and after lots of practice looks like.

The funnest part I find is "drifting" through the turns!
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

When I tried it, on 10' of snow pack, with IRC-23 snow tires, I only fell when I first set out, trying to climb a steep slushy incline to get out onto the snow proper. (And I was expecting to maybe fall there -- I was just testing).

I spent the rest of the day going around, without falling.

The key is simply, don't exceed your traction. Remember, pushing snow around or crunching it down in creases resistance, an need for traction, as do inclines. Slush, and especially ice, increase it. Taking it slow and easy and avoiding inclines, you'll be surprised at what you can do.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post

That's a cool video - thanks for posting it.

I have two thoughts on this:

1) don't leave a white i2 out in a heavy snow fall - you might not be able to find it once the snow covers the wheels and
2) if you guys have salt-based gritters out there, who try and stop ice build up in otherwise icy prone spots, remember that after a trip on your segway, to try and wipe/rinse off the salty residue from your machine (epsecially the gearboxes and around any exposed screws etc.) - it's pretty corrisive.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
It depends of the type of snow and the underlying conditions.

Light, fluffy (dry) snow should be fine.

Heavy, sticky (wet) snow is probably OK as long as it isn't too deep or dense.

Ice underneath the snow (regardless of the type of snow) is a bad thing.

You will be surprised at how well it performs provided you maintain traction.

Bundle-up and wear a helmet. Make sure someone else is around in case you take a spill.

Also, avoid quick actions (starts, stops, turns) - take it easy and you should have fun.
I concur on all counts, although depending on the size of your ego you may not someone around to witness your fall.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
homey
homey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
A light coating over grass is the best place to practice.

As stated anything that has ice below or on top is basically like ice skating. You won't be upright long!

1-2 inch thick snow that packs is best because it forms around the tires.

You will fall over!

lets pick it up a bit... looking too much like gbrandwoods spot on mounting kerbs

Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
lets pick it up a bit... looking too much like gbrandwoods spot on mounting kerbs

It looks like they were doing everything they could to TRY and fall. I didn't see anything that couldn't have been handled successfully with a light touch and a bit of prudence.

But nice soundtrack, and it looks like they had a load of fun!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
homey
homey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Bob, the title is the clue i think (ice).
i'm not sure but there might be ice under that snow. notice those tires are winding up to the shutdown speed a lot more than i think they could on frozen ground... yea frozen lake. this looks like head gear fun!

i am going to give it a go the first good snow we get here in Chicago. i need to verify if i have one of those frost bite boards you guys talk about anyway. i intend to leave it outside for a few hours shutdown and then i will know for sure.