SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default Battery-less Illumination

Here's an interesting bike light that's generator based, but has no battery:

http://www.reelight.com/en/

They blink a red or white LED twice per wheel revolution for visibility (not illumination).

A set of magnets mounted on the spokes induces a pulse into the generator, which drives an LED directly.

The main advantage is lack of maintaining the battery, or fiddling with switches, yet it offers an elevated safety level, due to increased visibility.

They have two models, a less expensive one that has no battery, and a more expensive one with a 5-minute power reserve, to maintain the blink while stopped for short periods.

I'm wondering if these could be adapted to PT use.

Either mounted on the outside of the wheel, or cutting a slot or two in the fender and mounting it inboard.

Apparently they can also be purchased singly, either just red or just white.

Along a similar vein, I've attached a couple of these to my PT, facing the rear, and below the platform.

These are oversized in-line skate wheels, commonly used on a child's push-scooter. They have some colored LEDs that light up when the wheel is turned. There are three LEDs, one red, one green, and one blue. It looks like more than three are present, but that's because of the time exposure in the photo. When turning fast, it casts a white light.

Each one is mounted at a 90 degree angle to the main wheel, rubbing against it, pointing slightly down and out. There's just enough clearance from the fender to make contact with the tire.

Don't have any pics of it mounted yet, but I have showed it to a few folks at polo practice, and the recent Balboa & Santa Monica glides.

I picked them up at an electronics surplus place in Van Nuys, for about 1/2 to 1/4 the price you can find them on the internet.

Question is, does it reduce range? Probably does a little. I'm guessing 1 to 3%. Haven't figured out a way to make an accurate measurement yet.