SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Just curious What difficulty did you have with that?

Providing details would perhaps be helpful to other members of this forum.

Also, an eBay item number (auction number) and/or seller ID would be nice.
After filing a dispute and much back and forth, they asked for me to find a place that would service the broken device.

I emailed Freego(China) and there statement was " we have no repair shops in USA or numbers of people who service it. "

The latest from Paypal is I had to find a Medical supply and service center to prove there were no working lights or power, and get a formal letter stating so.

It was sold as new from a privet individual In Arizona, I will not post any info till I have closer on this matter!

Pay pal maybe has a guaranty on new products... But live an hour and a half from a real city and try to get the info they need, being disabled this has been a nightmare?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

OK, first let me say that I do sympathize, and understand your frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
I have a Freego...

It lasted 2 1/2 miles...
Quote:

It was sold as new from a privet individual In Arizona, I will not post any info till I have closer on this matter!
Was it actually new when you received it? Did it come with paperwork (warranty, etc.)?

Did it work correctly when you first got it?

Quote:
Pay pal maybe has a guaranty on new products...
I believe that Paypal/eBay has a stated responsibility to make sure you either: (1) get what was advertised by the seller in advertised condition; or (2) give you your money back, including 1-way shipping charges.

Assuming the item you received was new and otherwise "as advertised", then it looks like Paypal/eBay is going the extra mile to help you and the seller resolve the differences.

Quote:
I emailed Freego(China) and there statement was " we have no repair shops in USA or numbers of people who service it. "

.... and try to get the info they need, being disabled this has been a nightmare?
I'm guessing that the seller said nothing about warranty or repair service availability in the posting, and that you did not inquire about that before purchasing.

Again, I understand your frustration. And we all appreciate you sharing your experiences with the Freego.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Redundancy? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinggray View Post
Just got done sending a few emails back and forth with them and they also accept PayPal. Shipping to to my door $350. If I buy 2 he will drop the price to $2000 each. It's sounding more interesting.
I find it interesting that none of the copycats say anything about redundancy in their product. If they used redundant systems like the Segway, that would add considerable cost, and they'd surely list it as a selling point. Without that assurance, I wouldn't even consider riding one, let along buying one.

Since they're responding to your emails, next time ask about what safety testing they've done, and whether their product will bring you to a safe stop if a key component fails. Please let us know what they say (or don't say).
Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #24
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default trying again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
Try again...

It also depends on the type of patent.

US Patent office web site...

Well, all of my patent applications were pre-1995 so that's were I got the 17 years.

The segway patents I could find are apparently "utility" patents. 20 years we were both wrong.

How long does patent protection last?

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the payment of appropriate maintenance fees for a utility patent. There are no maintenance fees for plant patents . Design patents last 14 years from the date you are granted the patent. No maintenance fees are required for design patents.

Note: Patents in force on June 8, 1995 and patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995 automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss the finer points of patent law.

As for the OP, I think the thing you have to worry most about is a machine that appears to work at first, and then breaks within the first 6 months (as someone else's experience notes in this thread).

A company in China will likely do little for you at that point. And Alibaba or PayPal or eBay also won't be of any help.

No one has any doubt the mechanics of what Segway has designed can be replicated by others (especially in China). The question is -- are you buying a Yugo when you're being sold a GTI?

In my experience in working with Chinese manufacturers, if the QA isn't there, the machines won't last. If the QA and oversight is there, you may luck out with something that does last. But again, as soon as a part needs replacing, you may be SOL. (And make sure you figure out their battery situation before buying, too, because that's the part that you will need to replace someday.)

John
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
stinggray
stinggray will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

A follow up of what happened. When emailing the guy I asked for some references in the US. First he said he didn't know why I needed them after pushing him for them he ended communication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinggray View Post
A follow up of what happened. When emailing the guy I asked for some references in the US. First he said he didn't know why I needed them after pushing him for them he ended communication.
They are happy to take your money. Not so happy with questions, and not happy at all if you actually expect a machine to show up.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.