SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
[email protected]
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Where for art thou non-motorised Segways?

Firstly, my thanks to the forum mods of SegwayChat for allowing me in.

Long time lurker, first time poster, but only because I have a question and you guys & ladies have the knowledge.
I have always been itchy to get on a Segway and I booked for my wife and I to do a Segway tour of Paris 2 months ago.
Seg-virgins, but we picked it up quickly after the obligatory induction and then thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We got home and told the kids all about the trip but esp. the amazing Segway tour. Actually I'm still thrilled by the experience !
Boring story cut short, I told the kids that there must be a safe ( no motor) kids Segway thats available, and that I'd find it or build it ? ( Foolish father I am.)
But there isnt. Not that I can find.
But is there one? Surely you guys know !
I dont think they need a real Segway, they'd be happy with just a 2 wheeled buggy with a handle in front that they can push along like a skateboard.
Now the problem has escalated to the point where the kids keep giving me creepy looks when we pass in the hallway for failing them and I'm not happy with the paranoia Ive created for myself.( just a joke, )
Can you help me?
I put this in the Science & Tech. forum hoping to snare some 'Professor Frink' types who'll offer suggestions or guides.
I have a garage and large workspace full of new tools Ive never used so I'm ready to start working on your ideas.
Any progress will be freely shared with all parents.

Best wishes and safe gliding to you all.
Thanks.

Brett.C.M.Smith.
Sydney, Australia.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Firstly, my thanks to the forum mods of SegwayChat for allowing me in.

Long time lurker, first time poster, but only because I have a question and you guys & ladies have the knowledge.
I have always been itchy to get on a Segway and I booked for my wife and I to do a Segway tour of Paris 2 months ago.
Seg-virgins, but we picked it up quickly after the obligatory induction and then thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. We got home and told the kids all about the trip but esp. the amazing Segway tour. Actually I'm still thrilled by the experience !
Boring story cut short, I told the kids that there must be a safe ( no motor) kids Segway thats available, and that I'd find it or build it ? ( Foolish father I am.)
But there isnt. Not that I can find.
But is there one? Surely you guys know !
I dont think they need a real Segway, they'd be happy with just a 2 wheeled buggy with a handle in front that they can push along like a skateboard.
Now the problem has escalated to the point where the kids keep giving me creepy looks when we pass in the hallway for failing them and I'm not happy with the paranoia Ive created for myself.( just a joke, )
Can you help me?
I put this in the Science & Tech. forum hoping to snare some 'Professor Frink' types who'll offer suggestions or guides.
I have a garage and large workspace full of new tools Ive never used so I'm ready to start working on your ideas.

Best wishes and safe gliding to you all.
Thanks.

Brett.C.M.Smith.

Sydney, Australia.
May not quite be what you are looking for, but there was a real product called the "Dareway" that might fit your bill (however, it is motorized). Try googling it. Or use the search feature on this board to find more links like this:
"Dareway" Segway knock-off for kids
If you come across something called the "Seg-wee", it's not a real product, just an April fools joke from a few years ago:
"Segwee" Segway for kids? Anatomy of a hoax
Old 11-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Since I know of many Ozzies who are quite industrious and motivated, I'll also point you to some DIY segway projects. First check out http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html and make sure to look at Trevor's follow up project at http://www.tlb.org/scooter2.html and http://www.tlb.org/eunicycle.html to see how hard this all is. Also you'll see some great commentary on how much it cost to make your own knock off. I especially appreciate how much Trevor discussed how iterative the development process is. You'll also see him express appreciation for how much redundance Segway INC built into their product. I'd also speculate/conjecture/guess that Trevor wouldn't put his kids on his homemade segway based on some of his comments about others using it. If you want a segway DIY project without all the nice details, look at http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/roll-out/...ean-263398.php and start digging around for more details. Searching around on this forum, you'll see your fellow SCers pointing out alot of deficencies with the Korean knock off.

Sometimes I wish more anti-Segway people could try out Trevor Blackwell's scooter, or some of the other "knock offs" from Korea. Of course, they'd use the non-segway scooters to further bolster their views, but you'd hope that some might actually do a side by side comparison to see just how refined (and thus safer) a segway is.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I think you've backed yourself into a bit of a corner here. Since the Segway balances itself using the motors, I can't imagine any way that a device could self balance without motors.

Jim
Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
. . . I told the kids that there must be a safe ( no motor) kids Segway thats available, and that I'd find it or build it ? ( Foolish father I am.)

Can you help me?

Brett.C.M.Smith.
Sydney, Australia.
I'm assuming these are pretty young kids. What about taking a Razor scooter, adding a platform with side-by-side 12 inch wheels, such that all 4 wheels are on the ground at the same time. Probably won't steer very quickly, but if they would be happy with the design you mentioned, they won't care -- it will look like a Segway.

John Kuhn

Last edited by bentbiker; 11-03-2007 at 08:32 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
[email protected]
BrettCMSmith@gmail.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Thanks for making me welcome.

Wow, lots of replies and ideas. Thanks guys.
Yes Ive seen the nasty knock offs. Why bother with that rubbish !
The Segwee was and still is a good idea as far as making something uniquely Seg-like that kids can ride. I think I saw the Segwee hype and hoped it was real too.
Here in Australia we have a lot of laws that forbid people using Segways except on private property so a non motorised version would be great for my kids. Theyre 6 and 8. Cheeky monkeys too !

I thought about it a lot and I figured the first thing was safety and having a low centre of gravity is important,so heres a thought of mine you can add to or shoot me down ;-

The axles could be connected to a lowered platform so that when you stand on the platform, the weight is positioned close to the ground. The platform would swing beneath the axle like a pendulum. Can anyone visualise this or am I being stupid ?

I dont know if I can post pix straight from my computer ..?

If anyone is interested in putting in their 2c I'd be grateful.

Best wishes, Brett.

Edit: to John Kuhn, my little guys already have Razor scooters as does everyone else on the block.They dont see them as being cool anymore, like a lot of things they used to love.
Kids can be pretty canny and I think they'd know if I tried to 'hack' a Razor into something else. Thats what makes this such a unique project. Thanks for the idea tho John !

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-04-2007 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: I Forgot about Johns comment, D'Oh !
Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
japaneezy
japaneezy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

heres your non motorized segway

btw a segway cannot work without a motor and gyros, you should buy them a unicycle if thats what you want, cuz thats the closest you will get to what you're describing.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japaneezy View Post
heres your non motorized segway

btw a segway cannot work without a motor and gyros, you should buy them a unicycle if thats what you want, cuz thats the closest you will get to what you're describing.
Speaking of unicycles, there's this thing, which is sort of a "penny-farthing" push-unicycle without pedals:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=15188

http://www.magicwheel.co.uk/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ots_about.html
Looks fairly clunky in still photos, but appears to be somewhat useful in the moving video clips.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

That unicycle thing is quite something...

I posted a picture of a toy that did a good job a while back that had the counter weight below the axle level, so the device would be self balancing, it has been in my gallery since...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

"Where for" means why.