SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #161
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Just purchased a set of Givi's . . .

Just purchased a set of Givi's and installed them. They seem to be a little "flexible" as one glides around town. They move an inch, perhaps more as you glide through town. Any lean into a corner also restricts one's lower leg movement. I thought they would be a little more stable during the glide but they tend to move around a bunch. Perhaps this allows the glider to lean into turns but I'm wondering if this is a proper installation or did I install them improperly.

Is this "movement / flexibility" normal? Those that have Givi's, is this the Givi's normal? Thanks.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #162
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
Just purchased a set of Givi's and installed them. They seem to be a little "flexible" as one glides around town. They move an inch, perhaps more as you glide through town. Any lean into a corner also restricts one's lower leg movement. I thought they would be a little more stable during the glide but they tend to move around a bunch. Perhaps this allows the glider to lean into turns but I'm wondering if this is a proper installation or did I install them improperly.

Is this "movement / flexibility" normal? Those that have Givi's, is this the Givi's normal? Thanks.
That doesnt sound right?....you may want to look closer....I can imagine then rocking or a wobble some as there atttached at the bottom .
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #163
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
That doesnt sound right?....you may want to look closer....I can imagine then rocking or a wobble some as there atttached at the bottom .
do the givis have a built in quick attach mechanism that clips onto the cargo platesand do these have the long handle in the lid like ive seen in some pics?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #164
Seginaway

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
do the givis have a built in quick attach mechanism that clips onto the cargo platesand do these have the long handle in the lid like ive seen in some pics?
There are slots that the cases slide into to attach them to the bottom of the upper cargo frames, then there are two (2) torx screws that hold the cases to the upper part of the cargo frames. As a result, the cases move around from side to side by an inch or more as one glides; actually just like the cargo plates move as one glides. In some cases one's lean into a turn is restricted by the cases.

Further, the cases are not quick release, nor are the locked cases; a key must be used to release the tops versus just a simple push button. Good for security unless someone really wants the case and then they just take it, but a little pain to open and close on glides around town.

Really wanted these over the years but I'm not too sure now. My backpack seems to work well. Another couple months and I'll know.

Definitely not quick release. In order to remove the cases and hold by the handles, you need to use a torx wrench on two (2) separate screws for three (3+) plus minutes. Definitely not a quick release.

Last edited by Seginaway; 03-07-2016 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: quick release description
Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #165
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
There are slots that the cases slide into to attach them to the bottom of the upper cargo frames, then there are two (2) torx screws that hold the cases to the upper part of the cargo frames. As a result, the cases move around from side to side by an inch or more as one glides; actually just like the cargo plates move as one glides. In some cases one's lean into a turn is restricted by the cases.

Further, the cases are not quick release, nor are the locked cases; a key must be used to release the tops versus just a simple push button. Good for security unless someone really wants the case and then they just take it, but a little pain to open and close on glides around town.

Really wanted these over the years but I'm not too sure now. My backpack seems to work well. Another couple months and I'll know.

Definitely not quick release. In order to remove the cases and hold by the handles, you need to use a torx wrench on two (2) separate screws for three (3+) plus minutes. Definitely not a quick release.
I have a set…installed them, tried them for a short time and took them off. My main reason for doing so was that they restricted my lean and I didn't like it.

They can be set outward more on each side, but this adds a lot to the i2 width. On the x2 configuration…probably no big deal (I never tried).

That said…mine did NOT shift around while gliding.

Also, I distinctly recall a quick-release for the CASE (the case frame was left behind on the Segway…mounted to the cargo plate).

Something definitely doesn't sound right about your installation…almost like you are missing the case frames or something.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #166
johnnywheels
johnnywheels is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Mine went back to the factory about 3 times as I recall (it's been a while since it has needed anything). Turn-around time was usually 6-8 weeks.
Currently on my second one...first one just stopped charging after the first week. Second one has ridden like a dream though!
johnnywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #167
GlideGuy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Here ya go…I dug 'em out and installed one for you…

When I used them, I just kept the key in the lock since you have to turn it all the way to the stop for it to come out, so turning it 1/2 - 3/4 keeps the case locked, yet the key won't fall out.

But…no doubt a quick release system. Turn the key to the unlock position, push the button and it pops right off. Align the two studs at the bottom and snap it onto the locking latch on the top and it is secured onto the frame/Segway.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #168
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default My Bad . . .

After instruction here on the Forum I can concur that there is a release from the upper cargo structure. I wouldn't call it "quick" but it can be done. Thanks for the info.

As to the excessive movement, X2's cargo plates move a little bit more than the I2's because of the bigger, softer tires which can make for a bouncy ride (I consider it to be a suspension that saves my hips & knees from the bumps). Also, the clamps for the cargo plates to the lower arms is a bit sloppy so I'm going to insert some "fillers" and retighten to see if the connection becomes firmer.

As to the additional width, even on an X2 it adds a bit as I now must dismount upon entry to my office building and squeeze the cases slightly in order to gain entry. Prior to this, I could enter without dismounting.

The issue with restricted lean is still open and may result in removal. I'll have to see after a couple of months.

Thanks to all and good gliding!!!!!

Last edited by Seginaway; 03-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #169
GlideGuy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
After instruction here on the Forum I can concur that there is a release from the upper cargo structure. I wouldn't call it "quick" but it can be done. Thanks for the info.

As to the excessive movement, X2's cargo plates move a little bit more than the I2's because of the bigger, softer tires which can make for a bouncy ride (I consider it to be a suspension that saves my hips & knees from the bumps). Also, the clamps for the cargo plates to the lower arms is a bit sloppy so I'm going to insert some "fillers" and retighten to see if the connection becomes firmer
Mine (which were purchased new) have formed rubber "fillers" that go onto the lower cargo frame before mounting the split (square) blocks to which the cargo trays mount. It sounds like you're missing those fillers. Actually, I always figured they were intended to keep the trays from scratching (or otherwise damaging) the bars, but the blocks are made oversize in the fit to the bar in order to accommodate these fillers.

SegwayTrayMountingBlock1.jpgSegwayTrayMountingBlock2.jpg
Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #170
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Missing "fillers"

Took mine apart again and it's clear that there are no "fillers". I'm the original owner and always thought that the loose fitting was part of the "shake" one got at the limits of machine activity to alert the Glider to back off.

It now appears that this is not so and that the "fillers" were never originally installed. I've put some "fillers" of my own design in and the cargo plates and, therefore, the upper cargo arms and Givis are MUCH MORE stable.

Another good reason and use for SegwayChat. Thanks again.