SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #31
felix_fetche
felix_fetche is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You may need this tool:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Segway-i2-X2...-/323877820781

Is on stock, also cheap versions available.
Cheers M8’s!
felix_fetche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #32
TahoeJoe
TahoeJoe is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Thanks dorrington! truly appreciate your input and tips. I will now attempt to start pulling out those cell groups.

Ive seen quite a few comments that state "Be SURE you know what you’re doing so that you don’t do damage to yourself or your house." but, the fact is, most of us here dont know what were doing, we're trying to learn.

So for you more experienced peeps..
Thats why that simple guide on using the float charge method, written by rene_canlas is so incredibly helpful. Just spell it out, step by step, just about anyone can follow along.

So now im off to tryout your last very insightful post.. gently drift the cells out of its sleeve.. ok off i go.

oh, one thing, no one said anything about this leaky solder joint.. is this normal?

https://forums.segwaychat.org/attach...5&d=1569903644

I would think that should be fixed before anything else. Thanks so much guys for your input and help.
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #33
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_fetche View Post
You may need this tool:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Segway-i2-X2...-/323877820781

Is on stock, also cheap versions available.
Cheers M8’s!
Thanks for the input felix_fetche, but If i know I have 12 bad cells, it will cost me about US$50 to replace the cells. I dont need to spend a penny, or EUR 333,00 (US$365) on what I already know
Old 10-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #34
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Leaky joint

Nothing wrong with the joint as far as I can see.....
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #35
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member
Default Segway x2 replacement cells?

Need 12 cells to replace a couple bad groups inside of a pack.
Is this the correct replacement cell?

LiFePO4 Battery 18650 3.2V 1500mAh UL&UN38.3

is 3.2V 1500mAh correct?

Ive heard the Segway bms may not recognize all 18650 LiFePO4 cells?
If this is not it, what would the exact search term be to find them?

Thanks so much

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssh2017-04-05_9-26-02.jpg (207.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #36
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

ok, i got this small group on my adjustable power pack, charging real slow @ 100ma.

Here's the number changes after 2 hours on, how is it looking? Attached Images

If I wait till it hits 1.8v, then move to the next group of 6 low voltage cells, then try to charge the whole pack again? Maybe I wont need new cells, Just direct charge these two small groups, bringing them up to more equal voltage of the other cells.

Am I doing this right? thanks a lot guys for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a20191010_184803.jpg (160.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg b20191010_205220.jpg (145.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #37
dorrington

5 yr Member

Some cells will come back to life, I get around 30-40% usable cells from my old packs.

it only takes one cell of the group of four to develop an internal short and the whole set is unservicable.

I use an imax b6 charger to balance charge the pack without segways intervention,...then do a capacity test on each bank of four....if there is a big difference say 2-300 mA then i scrap the pack and harvest the good cells..I arrange them by individual cell capacity, after a few batteries i have a spare cells that are close enough to match existing cells

Only change just the bad ones if you're on a really tight budget, don't be cheap...buy new, my last lot were $1.50 each!

from my experience the bms does not care who made the cells as long as they are well balanced from a capacity point of view..that's the important bit.

Even new cells can have capacity differences...I match my cells as far as possible,...I capacity test each cell (ebay from china, not accurate I only care about numbers not actual capcity), wite the value on each cell, then charge them (miboxer c8..brilliant bit of gear) arrange them so that the total capacity of each group of four is as close as possible..then assemble.

phwew my fingers hurt now!...
Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #38
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

dorrington, wow thanks man, you are so helpful, i really appreciate all your great experience.. and hard typing

So, i think i should replace these 12 cells, they do charge up after a 2-3 hour charge, from .25v to 1.8v, but the voltage drops very fast after disconnecting charger.

I saw you mentioned "lifepo4 cells from alarmhookup on fleabay".
Im sorry Im not clear on exactly which rating to get,
is it 3.2V 1500mAh ?

Would this be the one's to get?

they are LiFePO4 18650 3.2V 1500mAh
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352610893740

Cheers man!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssh2017-04-05_9-26-02.jpg (207.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #39
dorrington

5 yr Member

If they hold 3 volts or so for a couple of weeks then they might be usable...however it's still important to know the capacity, they may hold voltage but only have 500mA...

sounds like at least one cell in the banks that drop is bad....you'll have to disconnect all four to find the bad one, replace it and re-weld or solder back together...

I got a cheap welder from ebay $100 and some nickel strip, far better then soldering and alot faster..

I would advise new cells, repair your machine and enjoy it....disconnect the old packs and weed out good cells at your leisure...if you get another old pack do the same...eventually you'll have enough rescued cells for a new pack.....

like I posted before,.to get the cells out, carefully peel the connecting strips off..when both sides of the cell are removed, push the cell out of it's sleeve using a wooden dowel on the negative end, a light tap will help,...keep the insulating washer!..replace with a good cell (with its sleeve removed)....

Hope this helps...it's not a quick process

those look fine to me, 23x4 = 92 cells per battery...$350 per battery...not too bad and 6.0AH..
Old 10-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #40
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

>If they hold 3 volts or so for a couple of weeks then they might be usable

thats a great point, REALLY good to know.
I got those 2 groups up to 1.8v, i slightly pushed up current after hitting 1.2v to get there. It took about 3 hrs. By the time I removed the charger clips to charge the other cell group, the voltage has already come back down to .84v , so I think these 2 groups, 12 cells total I will just replace them all. I will get those 12 cells for us$45 delivered on ebay, so now I will start to remove the tabs, remove the cells, and since it's only 12 cells, I rather not buy a spot welder for this, I think i'll try to just solder the new one's in .. wish me luck

and thanks again for your kind support and help here.