SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Signel
Signel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New minipro!

I picked up the minipro yesterday for $249 at Fry's. I should say that it was a demo, but it only had about 20 miles on it according to the app. All in all, it is in great shape, and Fry's said it has all the standard warranties a regular minipro comes with.

I was wondering what the general consensus is for best accessories. I need to add a kickstand, and I was thinking about trying out one of the handle bars. I don't really need it, but it might be nice for holding a phone or a big LED headlight.
Signel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signel View Post
I picked up the minipro yesterday for $249 at Fry's. I should say that it was a demo, but it only had about 20 miles on it according to the app. All in all, it is in great shape, and Fry's said it has all the standard warranties a regular minipro comes with.

I was wondering what the general consensus is for best accessories. I need to add a kickstand, and I was thinking about trying out one of the handle bars. I don't really need it, but it might be nice for holding a phone or a big LED headlight.
I don't like the handlebar because it unbalances it. The segway, with a handlebar, will take off on its own the second you let go of it. Similar to a full size Segway but with less ability to destroy anything around it The handlebar always has to be braced against something while the minipro is on.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
I don't like the handlebar because it unbalances it. The segway, with a handlebar, will take off on its own the second you let go of it. Similar to a full size Segway but with less ability to destroy anything around it The handlebar always has to be braced against something while the minipro is on.
No a full size Segway does not roll out of control when you step off it!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

I vastly prefer a handlebar, because it feels so much more stable. I own 3 different full-size handlebars that More4mini.com has sold in the past couple years. The current model is the best. There is the drawback that the MiniPro will no longer balance itself, but then my Segway i2SE and my Ninebot Elite+ don't either. Also, you can swap between the handlebar and the knee-bar in seconds.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
No a full size Segway does not roll out of control when you step off it!
??

Really? Even the one pictured in "Ironman" had to have the chauffeur grab onto it to keep it from leaving the scene.

I guess it won't go as far as a minipro (with an aftermarket handlebar ruining its balance) which will run away. My minipro's are unmodded and you can step off them, on level ground, and walk away without them going anywhere. Per the i2 manual:

Never let go of the PT when it is in Balance Mode because it will travel some distance on its own, give the Stick Shake Warning, then cut power to the wheels. If you let go of a PT while in Balance Mode, you risk injury to others and damage to the PT.

Risk to others and damage to the PT while it is in control? Odd thoughts from Segway the company. The handlbar is better for your feet on long rides but none of the handlbar equipped devices self balance. You have to keep hold of them or lean them against something.

Last edited by Pescador12; 12-19-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Never let go of the PT when it is in Balance Mode because it will travel some distance on its own, give the Stick Shake Warning, then cut power to the wheels. If you let go of a PT while in Balance Mode, you risk injury to others and damage to the PT.
In order for a Seg to be in the 'balance mode' you must have both feet on it - When you step off, it exits balance mode. Now, if you fall off, it will go somewhere in the first few seconds until it shuts itself off

When it's powered up and you're not on it, it tries to creep forward so that it will stay upright either on it's kickstand or if you have it leaning against a wall

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
RMullins
RMullins is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
In order for a Seg to be in the 'balance mode' you must have both feet on it - When you step off, it exits balance mode. Now, if you fall off, it will go somewhere in the first few seconds until it shuts itself off

I think he was describing ‘riderless balance mode’, you do not have to have both feet on the mat to be in balance mode. The safety video has a great example of this by using riderless balance mode to climb or descend stairs.
RMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Don M

5 yr Member

Yup - We use it powered up to go up and down stairs and tall curbs all the time. You lean it forward and it follows you, lean it back and it stops

But it's not 'balanced' IMO - That's only when you have both feet on the footpads

Don
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMullins View Post
I think he was describing ‘riderless balance mode’, you do not have to have both feet on the mat to be in balance mode. The safety video has a great example of this by using riderless balance mode to climb or descend stairs.
Yeah, the riderless balance mode and any mode that it is trying to balance without the rider on. I read in the manual that the i2 has broken them down into categories. I don't think it self balances with the handlebar hanging off the front in any mode.

The MiniPro will self balance with its kneebar and can even be driven around with the remote control. An accessory handlebar wrecks it's balance.

What will a i2 SE do if you have it powered up and let go of it? I think it will run off and the owner will go running after it like I see on youtube videos.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Don M

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yeah, the riderless balance mode and any mode that it is trying to balance without the rider on. I read in the manual that the i2 has broken them down into categories. I don't think it self balances with the handlebar hanging off the front in any mode.
An I2 doesn't make any attempt to 'self balance' (with or without the handlebar) unless it has a rider aboard with his/her feet on the pads - Then it balances perfectly of course, despite the handlebar and whether or not you have your hands on the handlebar. In order for it to stand still without a rider, it's gotta have a kickstand or be leaning against something - That's not what I would call 'riderless self balancing' despite what the manual may say

Don

Last edited by Don M; 12-21-2017 at 07:06 PM..