SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I2 SE Battery issues & warranty

My new I2se I got in November 2019 came with batteries that malfunction at temperatures under 55 degrees F.

I was last in contact with Segway Tech Support in January. They said they had a bad batch, but because of the virus in China they couldn't get it resolved. They sent me a ("Charged and tested" per Dawn at Tech Support) replacement set that had the same problems. So together we agreed to wait for the China factory to restart before we could do anything else.

Fast forward to now. I heard about Segway ceasing operations so I've been calling and emailing Tech Support to see about getting this resolved. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I started contacting them and I haven't gotten any response. I've quit leaving voice mails since it doesn't seem to help.

The article I read about Segway only said they were stopping production, nothing about support or warranties

So now I've got some unanswered questions:

Will Tech Support/Warranty still be around after July 15th?
Any one know? If I could get a response from them I would know.

Are my defective batteries aftermarket repairable?
Again if I could get a response... Tech Support didn't give me enough information about the defect. Battery cells?, electronics in the batteries?, I just don't know. These are the higher capacity batteries.
Has anyone had this problem and gotten it resolved? How?

How many people are unaware they have defective batteries?
The problem only shows up in cooler weather. If your Segway hasn't gotten started below 55 degrees you won't know.

This is a high dollar problem if I have to get it resolved myself. Any new set of batteries that I could buy are automatically suspect.

I use my Segway with a seat as a mobility device so I need it to be reliable. I haven't used it much since the lock downs started but if I go out I need it.
Fortunately I have a set of older 2011 batteries off my 2005 X2 that started throwing off E042 codes a few years back. The I2se works OK with them

Any help, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
sorka
sorka is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPMD View Post
My new I2se I got in November 2019 came with batteries that malfunction at temperatures under 55 degrees F.

I was last in contact with Segway Tech Support in January. They said they had a bad batch, but because of the virus in China they couldn't get it resolved. They sent me a ("Charged and tested" per Dawn at Tech Support) replacement set that had the same problems. So together we agreed to wait for the China factory to restart before we could do anything else.

Fast forward to now. I heard about Segway ceasing operations so I've been calling and emailing Tech Support to see about getting this resolved. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I started contacting them and I haven't gotten any response. I've quit leaving voice mails since it doesn't seem to help.

The article I read about Segway only said they were stopping production, nothing about support or warranties

So now I've got some unanswered questions:

Will Tech Support/Warranty still be around after July 15th?
Any one know? If I could get a response from them I would know.

Are my defective batteries aftermarket repairable?
Again if I could get a response... Tech Support didn't give me enough information about the defect. Battery cells?, electronics in the batteries?, I just don't know. These are the higher capacity batteries.
Has anyone had this problem and gotten it resolved? How?

How many people are unaware they have defective batteries?
The problem only shows up in cooler weather. If your Segway hasn't gotten started below 55 degrees you won't know.

This is a high dollar problem if I have to get it resolved myself. Any new set of batteries that I could buy are automatically suspect.

I use my Segway with a seat as a mobility device so I need it to be reliable. I haven't used it much since the lock downs started but if I go out I need it.
Fortunately I have a set of older 2011 batteries off my 2005 X2 that started throwing off E042 codes a few years back. The I2se works OK with them

Any help, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Jeff
What's the serial number of the batteries? I just bought two 2017s from a dealer that replaced the batteries with 2020 batteries that were built on October 13, 2019.
sorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
OPMD

5 yr Member

The replacement batteries are:

Y08031900098 Rev. AA

Y08031900121 Rev. AA

The original batteries (returned to Segway) were:

Y08021900029 Rev. AA

Y08021900030 Rev. AA

Both the original and replacement sets had the problem

Last edited by OPMD; 07-10-2020 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
sorka
sorka is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPMD View Post
The replacement batteries are:

Y08031900098 Rev. AA

Y08031900121 Rev. AA

The original batteries (returned to Segway) were:

Y08021900029 Rev. AA

Y08021900030 Rev. AA

Both the original and replacement sets had the problem
The original batteries were made on 8/02/2019 and the replacements were made the very next day. That is odd that their production issues ended the very next day.

Did they call those 2020 batteries? My dealer told me my batteries were from 2020 even though the production date was Oct 13. Still not convinced.

Also, just a warning about the new batteries. The old chemistry was Lithium Iron Phosphate. These are perfectly fine being left at 100% all the time so plugged in constantly. The new batteries are Lithium Ion and they will be destroyed in a year if you leave them plugged in all the time. They do NOT like to be stored at 100% charge.
sorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
OPMD

5 yr Member

Thanks for the hint on plugging in all the time. I hadn't been told that. My old 2011 batteries have been installed since January, I believe, so I haven't done any (more) harm to the new defective ones.

I got my Segway in November, 2019 through their Black Friday Sale online. It came from the factory, not through a dealer.

I don't think anybody said anything about the model year of the Segway or the batteries. I didn't think it was important at the time.

I'm hoping that Segway Tech Support will stick around for a little while, so maybe I'll get this sorted out. If not I'll have to see about getting these rebuilt or repaired by an aftermarket company.

I'll keep calling and emailing to see if I can get a response. July 16 will be when I'll find out if Tech Support phone numbers are still operational.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
OPMD

5 yr Member

You said ...The original batteries were made on 8/02/2019 and the replacements were made the very next day. That is odd that their production issues ended the very next day.....

Just to clarify. The original batteries and the replacements were defective. I got red lights charging and issues starting up and shutting down.

Under 55 degrees I couldn't start the I2se. This made it unusable as a dependable mobility device.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was also wondering if repair services are still available. Does anyone know?
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
Tcgriff
Tcgriff is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default battery dead?

I have an I2. I have had it for a very long time. Probably 10 years or so. When I plug it in to charge one battery lights up green and the other red. Is it completely dead. Looking for recommendations to purchase used battery if it is not recoverable. Thanks in advance. Tom
Tcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
jabackes
jabackes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I was also wondering if repair services are still available. Does anyone know?
i'd be willing to bet that if any of the dealers are still staying open at all that they'd be able to either source parts, or are in the process of sourcing all/any parts possible. sadly it's looking like we're all joining the crowd of vintage car owners that are hunting for parts and alternatives.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
jabackes
jabackes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcgriff View Post
I have an I2. I have had it for a very long time. Probably 10 years or so. When I plug it in to charge one battery lights up green and the other red. Is it completely dead. Looking for recommendations to purchase used battery if it is not recoverable. Thanks in advance. Tom
i found a guide here that helped me try and revive a battery. i got one to come back to life, but the other just wouldnt hold a charge over 57V (you need at LEAST 60 to get the segway to charge it) Good Luck!

https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36096