SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #41
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default simple answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
After spending some time with him and getting to know him better and better each day, I've found myself asking-- What kind of EPAMD can't stand upright without external aids, or quick-fix gimmicks gleaned from reading the internet????
Sure there's an answer to your problem...I'm surprised Karl responded without commenting on this. I have a one word answer for you:

e167

Now whether you'll be able to get Herbie programmed with E-stand, well, I don't know. But it sounds like this would satisfy your complaint, eh?

ps - By the way, my e167 is named "Silver".

Last edited by polo_pro; 03-29-2007 at 01:13 PM..
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #42
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

SEGsby

For what it is worth, I am glad that no innocent people were injured in this altercation, but I have been disturbed by it since I first read about it.

I was disturbed by the very title of the thread.

I will start by saying that everyone has their right to express themselves, and disturbing me need not have any bearing on other people's activities, but I suspect that I am not the only person who feels uncomfortable here.

First off, this forum is used by many people, many looking for information to use against segways, their operation, and their operators. When we post, we should realize that we are in the public square, and what we say, especially if irresponsible, can come back to haunt us, or other seggers...

This has happened before. This forum was used to vent some frustrations that were meant for the segging community, but made it out to the greater press, and used against a segger in a different community...

As for the event itself, there are many ways to look at it...

Psychology is a funny thing. Often times I have found that you will find what you are looking for. It is far harder to find what you are not looking for... Clearly there are also forces that will find you, regardless of your stance, at least some people find this to be true. I usually don't.

To take pride in successfully besting an attacker is fine. But, for me, out foxing him makes more sense...

The statement was made that there was fear that there may have been accomplices in wait. If that were so, then would a hit and run be the best plan of action, given the 12.5 mph max speed?

If a collision was imminent, I ask why? You saw him comming. You saw him setting up. You saw him commit to the hit. Why didn't you just stop short? He would have sailed right in front of you, and there would have been no chance for him to stop as fast as you. Then you could have just glode away, without incident.

I know that many people may see this as shying away from the challenge. To be honest, I am not challenged by young men on skateboards. I do not feel the need to demonstrate my ability to withstand their attack, because I know my own place, my own worth, and my own value. I know this even if they don't...

There are many cultures that judge a measure of a man by the enemies he has... I am better than to have such an insignificant enemy.

Now, it is quite possible that your story did not detail the opportunities you had or exercised to avoid this altercation, because you saw no alternatives... I don't have a way to know.

I do know that you spoke of the value of being armed. You spoke of the need for it. That says to me that you anticipate trouble.

I spoke of the lack of need to be armed. I spoke of ways to modify my life and my glide path to take me out of the need to be armed. We are different...

I am not offering my alternative thought process as a judgement of right or wrong, what is right for me may not be for you, but on the equal footing, what is right for you may be wrong for me...

On the detail of adding that the young man was black. I would have said it as well. I spoke with my Wife on this, as she has a very different perspective than I. I am quite confident that I would have mentioned that he was black, because, even though I attempt to not be particularly racest, when boiled down, my upbringing has lead me to the base reaction that a young black man may indeed be a slightly larger risk than a young white man. I am a white guy from the suburbs. I would think that on a base level, any minority would add a value of unfamiliarity, and that increases my level of wariness...

My position is not politically correct, but it is honest. By the way, if I were black, and I was predjudice against a black guy vs a white guy, it would still be statisticly valid. Being racest, or profiling, is not restricted to cross ethnic groupings...

In speaking with my better half, I realized my predjudice. She would base her profile on his attire. She is more PC than me, most times, but would base her risk assessment on his clothes and infer from that his socio-economic position. Is that less racest? I don't know.

Any way you do it, it is human nature. Anyone who says they do not have pre-concieved ideas is either an idiot, or telling a lie. Thinking something and acting in a racest way are two very different things...

My personal impression, is that they reason that the man was described as black was to increased the perception of danger. It may have been intentional or from your subconscience, but it was inserted for that reason.

My offerings here are intended to inspire introspection in us all. I make no judgements as to what any other person should have done. All I say is what I would have done, or hope that I would have done, had I been in the same situation... Of course, that is pure fantasy, because even if I was on the same street at the same day, and observed by the same people, there is no way to tell if they would have reacted the same, or if I would have assessed the whole thing and decided on a different route...

I am sure there are several people who must be chomping at the bit to comment, or tear me apart for this honesty... Go to it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #43
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
Sure there's an answer to your problem...I'm surprised Karl responded without commenting on this. I have a one word answer for you:

e167

Now whether you'll be able to get Herbie programmed with E-stand, well, I don't know. But it sounds like this would satisfy your complaint, eh?

I was pre-occupied with post # 42...

Actually, I was under the impression that SEGsby has an i2. I suffer from the same problem, in that I have an e-167, which is like the Lone Ranger's 'Silver'. It is my trusty steed, and when I get off, it is smart enough to ground rein and wait for me...

my i2, is like a young colt... never stays where you put him, even if you are still standing on the platform, he still turn around and wanders... The other day I leaned him against a fence post, turned my back, and 60 seconds later, he turned 180 degrees and ran off into a snow bank... Dumb kid stuff. I will be happy when it grows up with the kickstand, and a couple upgrades of the software. ( I am aware of none at this point, but feel it is enevitable, as my 167 has had 10, 12, 12.1, 14, 14.1, and 14.2 that I can recall.)

Truely, I will not be satisfied till I have an e2. I expect to have a long wait...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #44
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
SEGsby

If a collision was imminent, I ask why? You saw him comming. You saw him setting up. You saw him commit to the hit. Why didn't you just stop short? He would have sailed right in front of you, and there would have been no chance for him to stop as fast as you. Then you could have just glode away, without incident.
Considering you weren't there, you're making a lot of assumptions...

I didn't interpret the scenario that way at all. It sounded like it was much less expected, much quicker, and his response seemed to be an emergency/evasive reponse. Not much time for monday morning quarterbacking or 20/20 hindsight under those circumstances. He was defending himself against an attack. By the time he logically analyzed the threat to any degree, he could have been flung off into the street. Then what would we be discussing right now?

Who are we to be judgemental?
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #45
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
...It sounded like it was much less expected, much quicker, and his response seemed to be an emergency/evasive reponse...
Not being judgmental but like Karl I believe this was a measured response, not an emergency / evasive response. I quote:

"I watched him track my progress then glance down & quickly adjust his board. Then he suddenly launched at an angle to intercept my trajectory. I kept my velocity constant as he hit the side of my wheel with his skateboard (leaving a white mark on my left hub). As we impacted I jabbed out my left hand and made a fist, while groceries dangled in doubled plastic bags below."

This is much more than emergency, this is almost a planned action on the part of both parties.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #46
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I guess we need a reenactment, with all Segchat members watching.

With a French Mime on the side who knows american sign language signing in english for the english speaking hard of hearing.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #47
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
If I knew more about them, I would have added it. But that's all I have; Age, Race and Gender. And that's what's in the post, which is the same information the police got-- just the facts.

SEGsby
I don't understand this either. What is the PC way to say someone is 'black'? "A young male with light-ness challenged skin"?

I've seen other people phonetically spell out peoples particular accents. I don't recall anybody accusing them of being racist, either directly, or indirectly.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #48
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I do know that you spoke of the value of being armed. You spoke of the need for it. That says to me that you anticipate trouble.
While attending high school, growing up in a small town (~2000 people) on Vancouver Island in BC, I seriously considered bringing a folding 'pocket' knife along with me. After being physically threatened numerous times, and assulted once, I don't think it would have been out of line. The authorities, couldn't, or wouldn't do anything. Was I anticipating trouble? Definately. I think a lot of times, our instinct about when we're in danger, is right.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #49
guyler
guyler is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_walters View Post
While attending high school, growing up in a small town (~2000 people) on Vancouver Island in BC, I seriously considered bringing a folding 'pocket' knife along with me. After being physically threatened numerous times, and assulted once, I don't think it would have been out of line. The authorities, couldn't, or wouldn't do anything. Was I anticipating trouble? Definately. I think a lot of times, our instinct about when we're in danger, is right.
It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. This applies both to seat belts and a 9mm (or equivalent) in the pocket.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #50
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

You know this could lead to more trouble, don't you? As in, how young was this black male? Minor perhaps, or older? Remembering some advice given to the college student who had threats made online to him from classmates, the consensus was for him to avoid the same routes he normally was making for awhile, or indefinately. And, a police report as you did. Correct?

I would avoid the boardwalk for awhile, in case he comes back for more. IE; revenge. Cause your worst fears may be, that he has friends waiting for you the next time. If you are on the boardwalk daily there's a good chance you might see him again. Perhaps maybe some type of legal equalizer may be needed, say pepper spray, or something. Perhaps he was going to ask you some questions and didn't stop in time, who knows. You could be wanted for assult, maybe on a minor, and they haven't got all the evidence, or pieces together, yet. Any ways no one can tell what they would have actually done, till it happens to them. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Oooops, now I'm not being politically correct. Good luck, and be careful out there.