SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Hit a Pedestrian on my way home, and I FEEL GREAT!

Let me step through the events before anyone jumps to erroneous conclusions...

I walked to local Long's Pharmacy after work, then left on the Seg, carrying a bag of groceries in my left hand and used my right to steer. You know, sandwich bread and Taquitos; the staples of a bachelor diet. Mmm.

The NE winds were about 12 mph roaring off of the ocean, and were making sand drifts on the boardwalk. Bits of palm leaves littered the pavement as the wind bent them. I glided down south, towards home.

As I was moving along with the strong, dust filled winds at my back, I noticed a young black male on a skateboard staring at me, standing under a streetlight. I watched him track my progress then glance down & quickly adjust his board. Then he suddenly launched at an angle to intercept my trajectory. I kept my velocity constant as he hit the side of my wheel with his skateboard (leaving a white mark on my left hub). As we impacted I jabbed out my left hand and made a fist, while groceries dangled in doubled plastic bags below.

I heard and felt a meaty *SMACK!*. I assume I punched his shoulder as I passed. He probably twisted to the side to focus his mass and momentum upon me. I wasn't watching him so much at this point-- but it was more than clear he was --TRYING-- to f**k with me (probably push me over, or at least knock me off the machine?). I was already looking ahead, steering, in case I had to bail...

The f****r was completely deflected but I stayed upright and perfectly fine on the Seg. Herbie didn't appear to even react when he hit us. We just sailed on. I was so mad someone would try something so childish, but was elated I and my machine were fine after the event. I didn't look back until I arrived at my street to turn inland.

After arriving home and looking at my hand, I see I have a few bruised knuckles, but I wear riding gloves. I hope the moron has an *AWESOME* bruise and learned Segway's are not such easy targets.

SEGsby in the hood, yo!
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

While I'm glad you are ok and that nothing major happened, I would recommend you call the police and file a complaint.

After all, what happens if HE calls and files the complaint. The spin he would put on it would be totally different.
- He was out boarding and YOU ran into him
- You then punched him and then kept on going. (this post doesn't help your defense!)

So, call the cops, file a complaint, and next time wait for the cops to come!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
SEGsby

5 yr Member

I tried to call the cops the first time I was attacked, last year. I waited on the phone for 30 miniutes andnever got a response, and the one cop I did see on the street-- took off in a hurry when I tried to flag him down.

The cops are pretty useless. They just pick up the bodies. And paperwork is something they hate doing and avoid at all costs.

The dude could have had friends waiting in the shadows of the empty boardwalk shops, so hanging around is not wise.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
While I'm glad you are ok and that nothing major happened, I would recommend you call the police and file a complaint.

After all, what happens if HE calls and files the complaint. The spin he would put on it would be totally different.
- He was out boarding and YOU ran into him
- You then punched him and then kept on going. (this post doesn't help your defense!)

So, call the cops, file a complaint, and next time wait for the cops to come!

Steven
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Yeah, but if you call them and let them know what happened, they have to log it. With the name of the officer you reported it to and the time / date, you have a good defense.

Just a recommendation.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
SEGsby

5 yr Member

I'll call, but nothing will come of it.

Okay, on the phone with them now, and they don't even know what a Segway is and are asking if it's a vehical that needs to be registered...

Well, they won't fill a report until the officer talks to a Detective to find out what kind of crime was commited...

Lovely waste of time.

Segsby

Last edited by SEGsby; 03-28-2007 at 01:21 AM..
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Well, they actually called back when they said they would.

No report number yet, but they did decide it was a battery.

SEGsby
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
Majestic
Majestic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I agree with calling the cops but I too would have been outta there. Glad you are (both) safe and sound.
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
SEGsby

5 yr Member

If I had to hit someone (by their design or not), I'm glad it was a moron who was trying something stupid and irresponsible-- and totally failed at it.

Thanks. Other than a small white mark from the skateboard and some red knuckles, we're fine.

Herbie's a torque monster!

*SMACK!*

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
I agree with calling the cops but I too would have been outta there. Glad you are (both) safe and sound.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm sure there's a really good pun in there about it being a battery but I can't quite see it... Are we are going to have to glide with medieval lances soon?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool

I am reminded of the old story about somebody who called the police, but was met with the response, sorry we don't have a car to send.

Hang up, call again, and say I just shot this dude who attacked me.

When the police car comes, and they say, hey you didn't shoot him, you can always say, hey I thought you didn't have a car to send.

I AM JOKING !!

Don't call the police and make a false report.
It does make a good story though.

Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote