SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 AM   #11
NinebotNut
NinebotNut is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
The external battery, if it is lithium, should not be discharged below 20%. It should be stored for sale in a warehouse at around 50%. The charge circuits will see a battery below 20% as overly discharged and possibly damaged. Therefore, they will likely not charge it.

Maybe the scooter's charge circuit will slow charge it if left connected. Then when above 20 percent, kick into high charge rate. Stay home and monitor it if you try to charge it.

Odd, that Segway is letting batteries in warehouses get so low on charge. A disconnected battery should not discharge on its own except for very slowly over several years. Perhaps there is some built in smart circuit on the battery that is discharging it.

The only thing you can do is try another battery. Maybe try a battery straight from the Segway website to avoid suspect batteries?
I just ordered a used external battery from eBay. Is there some way I can be sure it's fully charged without connecting it to the scooter? If I simply store the battery without connecting it for a few weeks am I in danger of allowing the battery to discharge to unsafe levels? I didn't come with instructions, can I charge the battery on its own (not connected to the scooter) using the scooter power supply/charger ?
NinebotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
theglenster
theglenster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

so after over 4 months, 2 separate bateries having to be sent back, 20 emails, i have a working battery!!!
and oh boy was the wait worth it. the acceleration now is insane! and going 30kmh is a bit scary!
anyway, CASE CLOSED!
theglenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #13
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Great to hear that your problem was resolved and even better to read your report about how much better you glide with the additional Ah...

So, do you believe that the problem was that when you installed a new factory battery, that the scooter sensed ot had a low charge and would not accept it as a good battery?

Was there anyway to perhaps put a charge on the external battery prior to connecting to the scooter?

*( I am newbie, although I have extensive knowledge about all things cool, I am only starting to learn SegWay )

As I was reading your tale... months and months of waiting, geeze... That was my initial impression. That the disparity of charge between the onboard battery and the newly installed battery was probably making the machine think that the new battery just couldn't take a charge, 'how else would an external battery be so deep in discharge', especially if the onboard battery was 100%
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #14
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Another thing... Is this the standard customer respect that I should prepare to accept? Long waits for resolutions? Little to no response to my inquiries, and if any, they are not going to be forthcoming?

The questions I have been asking here (in fact the reason I searched this forum out) was due to no satisfaction from asking these questions from Tech Support

I am going to have a hard time chunking up that much coin to a company that gets around to answering my questions at their own leisure...
If I have a problem with this 'investment' I want PDQ solutions.

I have plans to take a mid week trip to Mount Dora, Florida. There is a Segway dealer there that also does the tour circuit. I figure I can ride one for a few hours and survey the sales climate.

I gotta say, that I am sure not used to being ignored and brushed aside when making a luxury purchase. And my first purchase is likely going to one of many for a fleet of aging airline pilots who have more money than their knees and ankles can carry around these airshows these days.
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #15
flamaest
flamaest is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

" Is this the standard customer respect that I should prepare to accept? "

YES. Segway is a very bad company. DO NOT BUY THEIR STUFF.

My ES2 $500 scooter failed after 3 months after LIGHT use (~30 miles of total use), due to their NEW firmware downloading via the iphone app and killing my unit. NO JOKE. They fixed it, but it took 6 months of emails and phone calls. INSANE.

The external battery which I later purchased at $250 failed after 5 charge cycles, but since I don't ride my scooter much, I never noticed it. The warranty is only for six months and they tell you to go away and they will not help you. This equipment is ALL Chinese TRASH !!!!!

If you are able, ONLY BUY this unit from COSTCO in the USA, since they will take it back and exchange it anytime. ALSO, BUY it with a VISA credit card which doubles your Segway warranty.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote