SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
jimbo74
jimbo74 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
My pleasure Van,
I do want to state that I have not confirmed what the shipped tire pressure actually is from the dealer, which could be attributed, but from the first glide I could feel it was positively different than the stock tire by a wide margin.

Jim
Confirmed (with new inexpensive Acutire gauge) that the IRC's on 180 rims were shipped with 15 PSI, thus the "comfort" (as in forgiving shock absorber affect) is from the tires. Am feeling solid maneuvering environments I knew I was pushing the limits of adhesion prior.

Have not tried them out in a store yet but they seem to squeak more on my smooth fake wood floor more than original bald ones. (during turns) I may need to hang onto to the old ones on 167 rims for a bit till I am sure how they are indoors.

One other "con" is they do leave some black on clean pavement doing a short circle turn. May be dirt, not sure yet.

Would welcome others comments who have tried out the IRC's.

Jim
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Confirmed (with new inexpensive Acutire gauge) that the IRC's on 180 rims were shipped with 15 PSI, thus the "comfort" (as in forgiving shock absorber affect) is from the tires. Am feeling solid maneuvering environments I knew I was pushing the limits of adhesion prior.

Have not tried them out in a store yet but they seem to squeak more on my smooth fake wood floor more than original bald ones. (during turns) I may need to hang onto to the old ones on 167 rims for a bit till I am sure how they are indoors.

One other "con" is they do leave some black on clean pavement doing a short circle turn. May be dirt, not sure yet.

Would welcome others comments who have tried out the IRC's.

Jim
Original segway tires are sold as being "silicone" not rubber, so that they do not mark floors inside. I believe that all tires are a composite of different materials anyway, but clearly the original segway tire was commissioned to be non marking.

When you replace it with a tire that is not designed to not mark, you will loose that feature. I am not saying that all tires leave marks that do not specifically say that they are 'non marking', but it is a safe bet that they are more likely to, given the right circumstances.

Most times I do not do much with my segway that would generate marks with my after market tires that are not designed to not leave marks, but spinning in place, or very tight turns that are common in doors, is one of the things more likely to mark the floor.

For me, the much more obvious issue with my after market tires, that have a much more pronounced tread pattern, is the fact that they drag in dirt and water much more than the factory tires.

All this is very much acceptable as a minor trade off for the improved ride and comfort and traction I get.

Each segway operator must make these evaluations for themselves based on their needs and priority list of different tire characteristics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Yes, each individual determines the acceptable qualities based on need and use. Outdoor mobility is what it does 95% of the time for me, and the enhanced traction and enjoyment was money very well spent. The Segway's original purpose and uniqueness was its dual role in pedestrian and vehicle applications. No other machine I know of so deftly provides this. I recall that you were one of the first folks actively experimenting with alternative tires, and I was pleased to see this new "just works" option available when I came back to these boards and began investigating.

It may be that with careful operation in Costco and the like I will be fine regarding marking the floor, but delicate places like art museums may have to be avoided to preserve the integrity and reputation for its continued acceptance.

Any sense of how much these tires decrease range at 15psi from the resistance? What do you set yours at for general use?

Jim
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Yes, each individual determines the acceptable qualities based on need and use. Outdoor mobility is what it does 95% of the time for me, and the enhanced traction and enjoyment was money very well spent. The Segway's original purpose and uniqueness was its dual role in pedestrian and vehicle applications. No other machine I know of so deftly provides this. I recall that you were one of the first folks actively experimenting with alternative tires, and I was pleased to see this new "just works" option available when I came back to these boards and began investigating.

It may be that with careful operation in Costco and the like I will be fine regarding marking the floor, but delicate places like art museums may have to be avoided to preserve the integrity and reputation for its continued acceptance.

Any sense of how much these tires decrease range at 15psi from the resistance? What do you set yours at for general use?

Jim
I use a Chen Shin 3 inch tire, 3 inches wide, by 3 inches tall, on the 14 inch rim. Because of this taller sidewall (by about an inch), the tire has a larger diameter, and therefore all the factors are changed, and my mileage indicators on the info key are no longer accurate. (Because my speed is about 10% faster than displayed, I am guessing that about 1.1 miles is traveled for every mile displayed.)

I have not done much long distance gliding, in that most times I cruise and stop, cruise and stop, and do lots of errands and buzzing around town. I do not go straight on any for any great lengths much at all.

Because of all this, I do not know at all how my tires have affected my range, other than to say that it is not enough to significantly notice at all.

I have not checked the air pressure in the tires for a year now. I frequently look down at them and think I should. I am also pretty sure they are softer than I usually set them. I typically inflate them to about 18 pounds, and while there is some rolling resistance change, there is also the longer circumference, and therefore our experiences are not going to be exact. Also, I would guess my air pressure is not at about 12 pounds based on the ride, perhaps they are even softer. Since I do not need the miles, I have not bothered to inflate them higher, as the softer tires do give a softer ride.

I would say that with 18 pounds of pressure, and my larger tires (which would likely consume more energy getting to speed, but may cruise at a steady speed with no significant increase in energy consumption yet move farther for a given wheel RPM, I would be very surprised if my range is decreased by even the 10% difference in wheel size. I might even guess that the range is nominally increased, on a long, steady glide, but it is only a guess.

On high tension starts and stops, with lots of climbing, more similar to what an X model is designed for rather than an i model, of course, my larger tires would most likely reduce range.

In simple automotive terms, my city mileage is likely worse with my big knobby tires, but my highway mileage is likely about the same, or perhaps even slightly better.

BUT, my overall ride and enjoyment is greatly enhanced. My security in the rain or mud, or even sand is much better. Wet grass is stickier with my segway tires than my hiking boots. So, all in all, any costs are more than accounted for, and worth it with the better tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I use a Chen Shin 3 inch tire, 3 inches wide, by 3 inches tall, on the 14 inch rim. Because of this taller sidewall (by about an inch), the tire has a larger diameter, and therefore all the factors are changed, and my mileage indicators on the info key are no longer accurate. (Because my speed is about 10% faster than displayed, I am guessing that about 1.1 miles is traveled for every mile displayed.)

I have not done much long distance gliding, in that most times I cruise and stop, cruise and stop, and do lots of errands and buzzing around town. I do not go straight on any for any great lengths much at all.

Because of all this, I do not know at all how my tires have affected my range, other than to say that it is not enough to significantly notice at all.

I have not checked the air pressure in the tires for a year now. I frequently look down at them and think I should. I am also pretty sure they are softer than I usually set them. I typically inflate them to about 18 pounds, and while there is some rolling resistance change, there is also the longer circumference, and therefore our experiences are not going to be exact. Also, I would guess my air pressure is not at about 12 pounds based on the ride, perhaps they are even softer. Since I do not need the miles, I have not bothered to inflate them higher, as the softer tires do give a softer ride.

I would say that with 18 pounds of pressure, and my larger tires (which would likely consume more energy getting to speed, but may cruise at a steady speed with no significant increase in energy consumption yet move farther for a given wheel RPM, I would be very surprised if my range is decreased by even the 10% difference in wheel size. I might even guess that the range is nominally increased, on a long, steady glide, but it is only a guess.

On high tension starts and stops, with lots of climbing, more similar to what an X model is designed for rather than an i model, of course, my larger tires would most likely reduce range.

In simple automotive terms, my city mileage is likely worse with my big knobby tires, but my highway mileage is likely about the same, or perhaps even slightly better.

BUT, my overall ride and enjoyment is greatly enhanced. My security in the rain or mud, or even sand is much better. Wet grass is stickier with my segway tires than my hiking boots. So, all in all, any costs are more than accounted for, and worth it with the better tires.
All most helpful and appreciated indeed, so you do not expect there has been any significant "hit" in the miles per charge dept. I'm on my second set of lithiums new just before the tires, and had wished to do an A/B comparison, but feel I'm good from your experienced conclusions. The first set got an honest 24 easy going flat miles, and this second set is getting a lot more inclines, so I'm charging with a greater frequency, of course.

As these new tires came with the addition of a tube, perhaps I can expect also to be slightly less diligent on the tire pressure checks? If you feel ok to go a year based on feel, I imagine this is partly why. My old timer i167 runs like a tank and looks to have not only a new life but purpose as well.

Ya gotta love these machines! Having this forum is truly invaluable as I seek to maintain, upgrade, and glide glide glide,,,

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You will take a small hit in mileage, JWilcox got these and used them for is daily commute to Apple. I was very happy with the comfort and grip, but as I recall even at 18 PSI, he was getting only about 16 miles per full charge. I don't know if he still reads this board but if he does he might chime in.

Also they do mark up floors that can be a negative if you take your Segway.

The biggest advantage is tread life.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
You will take a small hit in mileage, JWilcox got these and used them for is daily commute to Apple. I was very happy with the comfort and grip, but as I recall even at 18 PSI, he was getting only about 16 miles per full charge. I don't know if he still reads this board but if he does he might chime in.

Also they do mark up floors that can be a negative if you take your Segway.

The biggest advantage is tread life.
Hmmmm., would be interesting to know what his range was before the tires upgrade.

At this time, I am GPS tracking the miles after a full charge on a flat easy glide to and from a park 1 mile from home. Slow starts, gentle stops, 6 to 10 mph average. Have a blinking 2nd bar at the moment having gone 7.7 miles. (did a full discharge recently to calibrate) We'll see what they can do in a best case scenario,,
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
jimbo74

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hmmmm., would be interesting to know what his range was before the tires upgrade.

At this time, I am GPS tracking the miles after a full charge on a flat easy glide to and from a park 1 mile from home. Slow starts, gentle stops, 6 to 10 mph average. Have a blinking 2nd bar at the moment having gone 7.7 miles. (did a full discharge recently to calibrate) We'll see what they can do in a best case scenario,,
All things being equal, (heat wind level easy gliding, new batteries, 15psi) other than the change to an IRC tire, I would say my "hit" in rolling resistance and range is 17% reduction. With my first set of new lithiums I eeked out 24 miles, and now 19.1 with .5 miles gliding home with zero bars.

Perhaps a bump in pressure to 18 will do better yet retain the comfort and safety of this fine tire combination?

Jim
Old 03-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #19
jimbo74

5 yr Member
Default Valve stem broke IRC tire on i167

I need help after unscrewing the cap on my i167 with IRC tires (not used in a year) and realizing the valve stem broke apart half way.

I've removed the tire but don't know what to do next?

I have never changed a tire nor tube and these were purchased in 2013 new nubs still on the perfectly new looking tires.

What say you folks who still gather on this once very lively and supportive forum?

Jim
Old 03-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #20
P99Guy
P99Guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Tube replacement

Jim,

Where are you located?

I am in the Dallas, TX area and have a little experience with tube/tire replacement on small wheels. Never plastic but I did just pickup a used i2 to experiment on.

If you are close I am happy to help.

If not close, you do not need to remove the tire to replace the tube. Use a couple woodworking clamps or a towel and big channel lock pliers to squeeze the tire and unseat it from the rim on both sides.
You should be able to push in the valve stem and pull the tube out using your fingers.

If you are willing to get that far I can document getting the tube in also

David
P99Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhanced traction, irc, tire